Sneak Peak Of Veronica's New Trick

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
We haven't completely finished it yet; still need to polish it up and then add distance...

but I haven't posted in awhile; so I thought I'd show you guys what we're working on.

Helpful hints and constructive criticism is always welcomed!!

Here's today's training session:

SD&B

Experienced Member
Looks like she's doing great to me. She got better and better during the session. You could add a down after she closes the door for her to stay in the crate. But she's doing great and having fun. I can see her brain thinking in the video. :)

This trick is on my list of tricks to teach.

I wish there were some way that the door would actually latch closed. I wouldn't use that at the beginning of teaching, but I would love to see a finished trick where the door is truly shut.

DaniG

Veronica is so freakin adorable I can't even stand it =).

I also love how you stopped doing that particular trick in the middle to let her go do something else when she was losing interest. After that she REALLY seemed to shine.

The only thing I may change is using going to get a toy as her reinforcement, since after you sent her to get her toy it looked like, to me, that she was more motivated and more into it :)

DaniG

Looks like she's doing great to me. She got better and better during the session. You could add a down after she closes the door for her to stay in the crate. But she's doing great and having fun. I can see her brain thinking in the video. :)

This trick is on my list of tricks to teach.

I wish there were some way that the door would actually latch closed. I wouldn't use that at the beginning of teaching, but I would love to see a finished trick where the door is truly shut.
Just thought of this - what about attaching a magnet to the crate to hold the door shut? Its not quite a latch, but it would hold the door closed :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Oh Veronica is just ADORABLE and each time she did the trick, she was getting so much better, the last one was perfect.:love: You really can see her thinking too.

Plus, as always, Veronica was so dainty and ladylike, she really is a perfect lady!:love:

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Thanks for looking and for the feedback guys!!

Originally I had the same idea about doing the down in the crate...and it's a good idea...it's just seeming like an awful lot of behaviors for V. to chain together. I think it's going to take awhile for her to put it all together in her head. Right now I still have to coach her and if I try to hold back she gets as far as going in her crate, turning around, coming half way out and looking at me like "OHMAHGERD!!! NOW WHATZ MOM LADY????NOW WHATZ"?????? So I have to coach her to close the door.

If I can't get to a lie down; I know I can at least get her to stay in the crate until I "release her".

GREAT idea about the magnets! I actually have a little piece of velcro rigged up, not that you can tell for all the good it does. I have to get to the store and buy some things to try...I just found the velcro lying around and it wasn't very good/strong to begin with.

SD&B

Experienced Member
Just thought of this - what about attaching a magnet to the crate to hold the door shut? Its not quite a latch, but it would hold the door closed :)
That's a pretty awesome idea. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.:)