Smelly Wet Leashes

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I have to keep Brody's leash on even when we play fetch as, although he seems to have a good recall, I never know with him, so, better safe than sorry. Anyway, the leash always gets wet, either because of rain or dew, so I have to hang them up to dry. They are starting to smell really bad and I have sprayed with Febreeze and the new Lysol fabric spray, but the rank wet doggy smell still comes through. I am worried about putting them in the washer because of the heavy metal part. Has anyone done this, or is there something I can soak them in to get rid of the smell?

blacknym

Experienced Member
If you don't want to put in the washer you can hand wash. Just use some vinegar(add an essential oil if you like) and soak the leashes for a little bit and then wash by hand. :)

Gordykins

Experienced Member

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I've machine washed Gordy's leashes and collars with success. Being the water fiend that he is though I bought a couple of water proof leashes and collars. Dublin dog "all style, no stink" collars are very nice, but on the pricier side too. I've ordered these too: http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/dog-collars-waterproof.html and http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/zeta-waterproof-dog-leashes.html. I wish they made longer leashes though!!
The zeta leash looks really good, but I wonder how it would be dragging behind. The nylon ones are nice and light until they get wet, then they get wrapped around his legs as he runs. Not really ideal, but what can you do?

Gordykins

Experienced Member
The Zeta leash is pretty sturdy, and really the most durable leash we have. It's only 4' though, and Gordy is so long, that it isn't even enough leash for him to get tangled in. Since it's pretty firm, it doesn't wrap as tight as the nylon leashes would though. I have a hard time with trusting our dogs' recall too. You just never know what might distract them when!

sara

Staff member
That's why I like leather leashes the most :) they never get stinky LOL. But I did get a wash bag from Black dog. It's designed specifically for washing leashes in the washing machine. It's partway down the page I linked :)

brody_smom

Experienced Member
That's why I like leather leashes the most :) they never get stinky LOL. But I did get a wash bag from Black dog. It's designed specifically for washing leashes in the washing machine. It's partway down the page I linked :)
I would guess a leather leash could be kind of like a whip if you left it drag behind. Not so good. What sort of fabric do they use for the wash bags? Maybe I can make one for less than $11.o0.

sara

Staff member
Depends on the leather leash, Oliver's is too thick and heavy to whip around (1.5" with a deerskin padded handle) He drags his all the time, and it's never an issue for him... it's also alot nicer on my hands if he lunges for another dog!

threenorns

i have a leash for dandy bec ppl give me the hairy eyeball when i use my preferred hunk of rope. it's polypropylene, so it never gets stinky and i have several lengths ranging from 4ft (for when we're going through crowded areas or i otherwise need him to stick closer than normal); 8ft (for normal walking); and 50ft (for semi-offleash work).

for normal daily walks in good weather, i use the leash but if the weather's crappy or i know he's going to jump into the river or (worst!) the swamp, then i use the polyprop.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
How do you tie the rope onto his collar? I am not good at tying knots, so I don't think I could trust it not to come untied in an emergency.

threenorns

i don't. i have carabiner clips at either end. the one at his end, i loop the rope through it if i need a slip collar otherwise i just clip it onto his collar or harness. when using it as a slip collar, the weight of the carabiner pulls the loop open. i tried regular ones and all that happened was his hair clogged them up so they'd only get tighter and tighter, never looser.

the clip at my end is used when i need to leave him outside the store.

to tie the rope to the carabiner, i use a half-dozen overhand knots: http://www.animatedknots.com/overhand/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Anneke

Honored Member
I have Rogz for dogz leashes and collars. I wash them in the machine. I fold the clip back and tie it flat to the leash using a piece of rope or an elastic band. That way it doesn't flop around so much. Then I put the leash in an old pillowcase and put a knot in it. Works like a charm;)

MaryK

Honored Member
I wash in the washing machine, putting the leads into a lingerie bag first, and add some pure essential oil. I prefer leather leads, but find them hard to buy over here, must google for a stockist. If they're not really slim, they don't whip the dogs at all.

MaryK

Honored Member
I've machine washed Gordy's leashes and collars with success. Being the water fiend that he is though I bought a couple of water proof leashes and collars. Dublin dog "all style, no stink" collars are very nice, but on the pricier side too. I've ordered these too: http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/dog-collars-waterproof.html and http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/zeta-waterproof-dog-leashes.html. I wish they made longer leashes though!!
Darn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They don't ship to Australia, just checked, as I could use their collars and leads, my dogs go to the beach a lot in the cooler weather. Prices are good, judging against the prices here for dog leads and collars, they're cheaper than the normal ones here. So jealous, you guys can get it all:)

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Darn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They don't ship to Australia, just checked, as I could use their collars and leads, my dogs go to the beach a lot in the cooler weather. Prices are good, judging against the prices here for dog leads and collars, they're cheaper than the normal ones here. So jealous, you guys can get it all:)
Have you seen these, Mary?
http://waggle.com.au/surf-dog-australia-b47/surf-proof-dog-collar-p635
http://waggle.com.au/surf-dog-australia-b47/beach-leash-p627
I don't know what the difference is from Australian $ to American, but these ones look quite sturdy.

Linda A

Experienced Member
I have found the best way to get rid of odors, on any thing, is a product called OZIUM. This stuff will even remove skunk odor!! If I were doing leashes I think I would put them in a zip lock bag, spray in some Ozium, and seal the bag over night.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I have found the best way to get rid of odors, on any thing, is a product called OZIUM. This stuff will even remove skunk odor!! If I were doing leashes I think I would put them in a zip lock bag, spray in some Ozium, and seal the bag over night.
This is labelled as an air sanitizer. I wonder if it would help with the anal gland smell, cause Febreeze doesn't touch it. So you think just keeping the leash in a sealed bag would do the trick? Have you tried that method on any other fabrics?