Rest In Peace, Zekers

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Today has been difficult to say the least. I had clients in a city about an hour away all day, and finally got home around 5. But as I drove towards my house, before turning down my road, a dog lying in the road caught my attention. I knew the fur was familiar, one of my own. The ears, mine too. And the tail, usually wagging, not. I pulled over and got out, confirming it was my Zekers. He was gone already, although it looked like he hadn't been there long. A nice man, I'm so thankful for him, stopped and helped me get him in the truck. I personally am a religious person, and the man kept saying to Zeke, "Go with God, my friend, go with God." These words kept me from being completely hysterical...

Z has never been an escape artist--ever. But a couple months after my hubby and I moved in, Z suddenly discovered after seven years of being a crazy high jumper, that he could jump crazy high. And, that this skill could easily get him over the 5-foot gate into the front yard where we were, or to the front door where he could let us know of his skill and happily run in when we came to greet him. So, we haven't been letting him out unsupervised and I've been working on it.

Today I was gone all day, so hubby had the dogs. Poor sweet man, he worked a 36 hour shift with no sleep, so he came home, let the dogs out, stepped inside for just a minute to grab some water and collapsed in the chair. He woke up when I came inside and told him. I feel so bad for him, he feels beyond horrible. I truly do not believe it was his fault, and have been sure to tell him that more than once today. I do not feel that he did anything wrong. He was exhausted and fell asleep, that's all there is to it. He did not open the gate and let Z out, nor did he hit him. It was purely an accident.

We buried him in our back pasture, with tennis balls of course. Zeke can't go without tennis balls. I'm sure he has an endless supply now. Our home, though still home to 5 dogs, is so different. Z had such a big personality, and we are already seeing such a difference. Gypsy is very clingy; she knows something's up. Although Z was always growing tired of her, Gypsy adored him. Zeke was my shadow, such a velcro dog, always right behind me. If a door was closed he waited on the other side for me. He always kept tabs on me, remants of his separation anxiety when he was a pup. I don't know how to imagine life without my shadow. And he adored my hubby. Besides me, he was his favorite person. My hubby says he can't look at a tennis ball without thinking BOING! (Z's favorite trick). Zekers was such a lover, always my snuggle buddy. It is so hard to take this. Hubby and I are clinging close to the rest of our furry family and dearly missing our Z. Our home is not the same.

Z taught me so very much as a trainer...I cannot possibly thank him enough for all the lessons he gave me. Such a smart guy, never slow to learn anything. I loved him so much. Can't handle any more now, surprised I could say this much. Just needed to confide in other dog-crazy people who understand the gaping hole Zeke leaves.

We miss you Zekers, and love you so much. Thanks for everything. Rest in peace buddy.
Zeke.jpg

southerngirl

Honored Member
I'm so sorry Tx that Z has passed away.:( I can't imagine finding my dog like that. It sounds like he was a wonderful dog and will be terribly missed. Sending prayers your way for you, your hubby and the dogs to help ya'll get through this hard time. RIP Zeke.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I'm so sorry to hear this. He sounds like an amazing dog, who will leave a big hole. I am sure you and hubby will be holding each other and all the fur babies tighter. May God give you all His peace.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Oh Tex, noooo. I'm so very sorry!!!! My heart stopped when I saw the title to the thread - and nooooo was what went thru my head. I can't even imagine what you must have felt, finding him like you did. :cry:

I know Zeke was your special boy, I can remember so many stories thru the years. :love: I believe we all have those special dogs who come to us and bring out the best in us, as trainers and as people. I know Zeke was so special to you for so many reasons -- you both taught each other so very much. I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face. I wish I had profound words, I just don't. The only thing I do know, is that we can never take tomorrow for granted.

Time will be your friend and the raw pain will wear off - and you'll soon just rememberr all the good sweet stuff. Know we're all here for you if you need to chat about Zekers. Take care of yourself - and your family.

RIP sweet boy, see you at The Rainbow Bridge.

Mutt

Experienced Member
I'm sorry to hear this :(
How awful to lose a dog so suddenly, so unexpected, so unfair...
Rest in peace Zeke.

sara

Staff member
Omg Tx... my heart just stopped. I'm in shock too... I can't even begin to know how you are feeling right now. I loved hearing you talk about Zeke. The love and bond you shared was evident in every story. I cant see the screen for tears.

Run free Zeke

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Thank you everyone. I am most definitely not used to this yet. Poor Gypsy paced the bedroom last night, and this morning when I let everyone out all the girls were looking for him. Sweet Harley wanted to play fetch this afternoon, she too loves this. But, she is much more independent and when she is done, she takes the ball away. Lol it made me sad that we don't have a solid retriever anymore. Z never tired of fetch and brought it right to your feet 100% of the time. We had to stop him because he absolutely would run himself to death playing fetch. He didn't greet me this morning, or politely wait in his crate for his breakfast. He didn't run outside and immediately start his ball search. This is not a change I like. But hubby tells me he was happy 100% of the time, and that he could not have led a happier life. He certainly lived his life to the absolute fullest, and hubby says I should too. Z did not like seeing me sad. But it is so hard not to be. Hubby says he never thought Z was the type to grow old, slow down, get aching joints, failing organs, etc...he wouldn't go out like that. And though I don't like this, that is very true...

I dearly miss my sweet boy, and I am aching with his absence. I believe everything happens for a reason, and I know this feeling will pass, but he is supposed to be here. He still had so much life left. He hadn't really slowed down at all, even at 7 going on 8. He wasnt done yet.

We are clinging to our fur girls...

MaryK

Honored Member
I'm so very, very sorry to hear about Zeke and how you found him, that's so sad. The pain does ease, with time, but allow yourself to grieve, that's natural.

R.I.P. Zeke.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I'm so so sorry to hear this. I couldn't help but have tears rolling down my face when I thought of the pain you must be feeling right now. My prayers go out to you, and I'm glad Zeke lived his life to the fullest even though he didn't get to live out his full life. He died young, but he died happy and energetic, not slow and aching. I know he would not have wanted you to be sad when you remember him, but joyful. It will take time to happen, but eventually I think you will be able to do this. Rest in peace Zeke, you will remain forever in many hearts.

Evie

Experienced Member
Only just found this thread, and so sad to hear :(

Sorry for your loss <3

RIP Zeke <3

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Ooooohhhhh! I am so sorry for your loss! I know he was an incredibly special dog! I can't imagine how awful it must be to lose such a wonderful boy. I hope you can concentrate on all the happiness he brought to your life and remember and cherish all those remarkable moments that you shared together.
Rest in peace Zekers and enjoy all those tennis balls!