Researching New Home State Choices - Help Please...

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
So you guys are such a well spread out wealth of knowledge I thought maybe you guys could give me some feedback.

Things have gone sort of curly here and it looks like Pawtential will need to move in Jan '14. I have no plans of where specifically but here is what I am looking for:

SCENIC - mountains, trees, lakes, good for hiking, relaxing
I have always loved the idea of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado - somewhere near Yellowstone or similar - maybe Oregon as well?

Summer temps to be as low as possible
Humidity to be as low as possible
Rural location to live within 1hr drive to major city/subdivisions
Dog friendly state in general

I will be looking to start my business back up there so somewhere people are crazy about their pets (not just keep them outside)
Probably looking to settle down finally so cost of living should be manageable
Possibility of looking to rent to own or buy

I am not asking about specific properties - but locations!

So tell me about where you live or where have you visited that is beautiful, dog crazy and coolish in the summer.

North Carolina hits the high 90 - 110+ degree mark almost every day with brain sucking humidity - I HATE IT HERE IN SUMMER!!!

I will consider any town/state/county that you might like to throw my way - I have just under a year to decide but want to start getting some info now.

Summer Weather:
Winter Weather:
Scenic Features:
Nearest City:
Average Rent (if known):
Must Sees:

Many thanks - I hope alot of you can give me some input - even if you live in a really hot state - maybe let me know where not to look... :)

southerngirl

Honored Member
(You might want to look around other Georgia counties.
I visit all the time
winter weather: Well since I don't live there I'm not 100% sure but I think it's pretty much the same as mine. It doesn't usually get below thirties. Being Georgia you get some weird weather. In winter time we usually get a day or maybe more of a break from the cold the temps we're you can were shorts or capris at the temps.
Summer weather: Does not usually get up to 100's but might 1 or 2.
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USGA0267

Must see's: Helen, Ga Raven Cliff, Dukes Creek Falls, Anna Ruby Falls, Desoto Falls,
I've been to all of these places, they are beautiful and dog friendly.I have not brought Missy(parents won't allow) but I've seen other people with their dogs.

Mutt

Experienced Member
I can't help you out at all with this, but I want to wish you luck, somewhere there is the perfect home for you!
I have to say that this does always makes me realise how itty bitty small the Netherlands are. Having different types of climates wihtin the same country is impossible here (you can drive from the 'far' south to the 'far' north in 3 hours).

Honored Member
I can't help you out at all with this, but I want to wish you luck, somewhere there is the perfect home for you!
I have to say that this does always makes me realise how itty bitty small the Netherlands are. Having different types of climates wihtin the same country is impossible here (you can drive from the 'far' south to the 'far' north in 3 hours).
It's similar here, although NZ isn't as small as that. I could live pretty much anywhere in NZ without having to worry about adapting to the climate (although I suppose it would be hotter in summer than I'm used to at the top of the north island).

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Can't help you here, but I'll be watching the thread as those are the characteristics of a place I'd love to live in. Just add "important software companies" and I'll be sold :p.

2SpoiledAussies

Can't be help here, but would love to see what people come up with! Oklahoma is kind of dog friendly, but ugly as can be! And very hot summers!

sara

Staff member
Well, I think you should move north of the border... Sounds like we hit all your criteria here in Central Alberta, tee hee

As far as I know, it never gets into the 100's F. it rarely even gets above 90 here in the summer... with very little humidity. Summer temps are usually in the 70's and 80's with the odd foray into high 80's to mid 90's. And it cools off an night here quite nicely, making sleeping easy in the summer :) It gets quite cold at times in the winter, however we have Chinooks here that usually break up the temps. Feb is usually a very cold month, yet there's only been something like 7 days so far that didn't get above freezing, and it hasn't hit 40 below for more than 2 years now!We don't get a ton of snow, or a ton of rain, but we do get some. and we get alot of thunderstorms in the summer, due to the mountains to the west.

Yes it's very scenic here, and lots of rural, though lots of cities too, and we're big into dogs here, we have tons of pet stores, doggie day cares, trainers and boarding, as well as alot of specialty pet stores and such.

We only have to drive an hour to be in the mountains, or an hour and a half to hit the 2 major cities in Alberta (pop of approx 800 000 and 1 000 000) The city I live in is the third largest city in Alberta at 100 000 and there's one further south that's pretty close in population. an hour will also get you to the badlands or bald-a$$ prairie, totally depends on the direction of travel lol

So even though I know you're not looking to move north of the border, I thought I'd make you a little jealous LOL

Dogster

Honored Member
Oooooor, you could move to Ontario...:whistle:

Winter's not as cold as it is in Alberta, but summer's a bit warmer. Lots of pet stores, dog training and grooming. Ontario is pretty dog-friendly, minus the pit bull ban...

There are great hiking trails up north, beaches, as well as mountains (yep, we do have mountains here too!) The landscapes (up north) are breathtaking.

Give Canada a chance, eh? (just kidding.:p)

sara

Staff member
BAH!!! a "bit" warmer in the summer???? ok miss queen of understatement. try 10 degrees (or more) warmer on average with 110% humidity! (ok so I might be exaggerating with the humidity thing, but not by much! LOL)

sara

Staff member
And I told my sister I wouldn't even consider moving to Ontario until they lift the pit bull ban.... besides, I seriously dislike the Toronto Maple Leafs... LOL Can't live anywhere near them!!! :sneaky:

charmedwolf

Staff member
Noooo, you can't move:cry: . I'll be moving to North Carolina in September! Everybody on DTA needs to find one city and just invade it with all of our dogs :giggle:

Live There or Visited: Live there
Summer Weather: about 90s, only humid when a thunder storm comes.
Winter Weather: Light dustings of snow, not too too cold. Mostly rains
Scenic Features: It's very rural
Nearest City: Deptford, Philly, Atlantic City, Wildwood, Hamilton, Cherry Hill
Average Rent (if known): about $900-1500 depending on where and how big
Must Sees: Atlantic City, Wildwood, Philly (All around within about a 45min drive)

Live There or Visited: Live there
Summer Weather: 80s, not really humid
Winter Weather: Cold!!! We just had a blizzard not to long ago.
Scenic Features: The leaves in the fall, or the covered bridges.
Nearest City: Concord, Barre, Nashua, Claremont, Quechee
Average Rent (if known): $800-1000. Again depending on where
Must Sees: Quechee Gorge, Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory (Come on free ice cream!)

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
LOL - I have nothing against going north of the border but how hard is it for Americans to "transfer"...when I moved to New Zealand it was a nightmare with immigration...