Reactive...

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Hi there.

Wondered if anyone has any ideas on how to get Missy to stop being reactive to:

--> The back door slamming when someone goes outside?
--> The front door being locked?
--> The phone ringing?

Thanks so much in advance!

Dlilly

Honored Member
I posted the wrong video, sorry! I'll have to give you the correct link when I get on the computer. I can't find it using the iPhone.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
The phone ringing is one my dogs bark at too. Although the more it rings the less they bark.
I've thought to maybe try ringing the phone myself and as it rings get them into a sit or something like that and click and treat when they are calm.?? could maybe try it with the other things to maybe ....

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I LIKE my dog reacting to anything/any noise about our doors, and feel that is a security PLUS, and a huge benefit to having a dog. I love him doing that.

but, if you do want to desensitize your dog to never bark at the sound of a key in the door, you could do that, if you truly wanted that.

For the slamming door,
you could get some high value treats,
bring dog over to door,
and slightly open it so it only barely makes a noise, which he probably wont' react to,
and CLICK/TREAT his nonreaction.

Set Missy up for success, reward her super quickly, before she has much time to react. Missy will probably begin to figure this out pretty quickly...that she is getting prizes for NOT barking.

Overtime, advance along, so you are now opening the door slightly more, so the door will now make a slightly louder noise as it closes,
and quickly CLICK/TREAT a nonreaction from Missy,
and so on. Slowly rising the criteria she has to be calm about, slowly, as she develops both the understanding of the wanted behavior,
as well develops the self control to perform the wanted behavior.

Praise her a lot as she is given the treats, too.:D
Slowly, slowly, increase the noise the door will make when fully slammed. It's okay to sort of preemptively treat Missy, giving treats at the second the door slams, to almost prevent her from being able to bark, cuz her mouth is too full.:ROFLMAO:
For the full on slam, you might have to move her back from door just a bit, and have volunteer slam the door, maybe...?

If that doesnt' work, you could maybe try giving her a yummy kong to chew on, to help distract her while you close the door, and praise her nonreaction, and then, overtime, try the exercises without a kong.

see if that works?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Maybe take that same idea, and apply it to the key in the door noise.

You could bring key, and dog over to the door, touch the key to the door, so it barely barely makes a noise, CLICK/TREAT her nonreaction.
and slowly advance along, like you did with the door slamming...??? You might have to use a yummy kong for first lessons, to help Missy succeed for the first lessons, maybe...?
and then, fade the kong later on??

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
The phone, you probably will need a kong, :ROFLMAO:
and maybe quickly click/treat her the moment you make the phone ring, before she even has chance to bark?? Give her a party in the mouth so she can't bark? lol

1 ring, then hang up. Praise the heck out of Missy.

repeat.

Overtime, advance to two rings, rewarding each and every ring, and slowly advancing along to 3 rings, and so on??? and don't forget the praise, too, praise counts a lot for some dogs, as much as treats.

good luck and let us know how it's going??

MissyBC

Experienced Member
She only barks and goes crazy when someone (part of the 'pack' - my mom, dad or I) walks out the backdoor without her onto our veranda and they slam the door behind them...

for the front door locking, it's not the key... it's the sound of the lock that gets her going...

...if the door isn't shut but the lock is set, and we shut the door she's fine.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
lol, off topic, but my dog does not bark for phone rings, but, he does come running to watch me talk on the phone, and eavesdrops.:ROFLMAO:
also, because i used to have to go pick up my daughter after work, and she'd call me on the phone to let me know it's time,
and i alwasy took Buddy along,
so whenever i hang up the phone, he looks at me with much anticipation, as if to say, "are we going for a car ride? huh? huh? are we going for a ride?":ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
// She only barks and goes crazy when someone (part of the 'pack' - my mom, dad or I) walks out the backdoor without her onto our veranda and they slam the door behind them...//

oh, so she is barking to get outside with the rest of you?

is that it?

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I think in her mind she's saying, "HEY! Get back here... where'd you all go??" :D but I stay inside with her. I don't go outside without her, my parents do.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//for the front door locking, it's not the key... it's the sound of the lock that gets her going...//

oh, well, so you have to turn a bolt type thing, to induce the sound that sets Missy off?

well, then, maybe, give her a yummy kong, but also have treats at the ready,
and turn bolt, and QUICKLY click/treat, before Missy has chance to bark about it??
and huge praise.

and then repeat.

and have a few lessons a day, so Missy thinks that bolt closing is best moment of her day, it means she gets big prizes and love for just listening to it?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
// I think in her mind she's saying, "HEY! Get back here... where'd you all go??" :D but I stay inside with her. I don't go outside without her, my parents do.//

so if YOU stay indoors, Missy is okay?

is it the sound of the slamming door that sets her off,
or is it seeing the parents sitting outdoors that sets her off?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
AH, that might be easier to fix,:D (Missy reacting to the NOISE, vs Missy reacting to watching them outdoors and feeling left out).