Question For All You Puppy People

mRae

Any tips on teaching heel to a dog with 4" legs without having to walk in a crouch with the treat at your side??? :rolleyes:

Honored Member
I had to crouch with Holly, but it didn't take too long before I could stand straight again.

I just had to put up with being laughed at in class whenever we practiced heelwork :cautious: or anything else that meant I had to crouch/bend so much when the people with big dogs didn't have to (the other dogs in our class were medium to large sized dogs)

Dogster

Honored Member
When I taught puppy Shivon how to heel (she was probably no bigger than a shih-tzu) I used a pill bottle filled with treats that I put in my pocket- it shook when I walked. Shivon knew that there were treats in there, so she would walk in heel, and I would reward her. This was just in the beginning, to show her that walking with me and giving me eye contact=treats.:)

MaryK

Honored Member
When I trained Ra Kismet I just held treats in my closed hand, down at my side, he soon realized that staying by my side was rewarded by treats. Target sticks are good too.

Like your one Dogster, I'll remember that for the future.(y)