Project

bekah1001

Honored Member
hi,
I have this project and I was wondereing if anyone had any good or easy dog treat recipes................................ even though there is already a bunch posted

bekah1001

Honored Member
Haha and yes its for school. We had to make a fake career, so we chose dog treats and attempting to make a few toys.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
So you are a Pet Store sales person! Awesome!
A fairly easy toy would be to cut long strips of fabric tie a knot at one end then braid the strips together and tie a knot or make a loop at the other end. Then you have a tug rope!
For treats, you might want to get a dog bone shaped cookie cutter, to make them very professional looking. Keep in mind that for dogs that have allergies it is important to attach an ingredient list. I'm sure you can find a recipe for biscuits online or others might have one that they can post for you.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
There are dozens of ways to make it. Think of it like making a big bracelet. :) Take a look at this site for more tutorials and examples.
That's actually what it reminded me of, those hemp bracelets (I think that's what they're called). I used to make them at camp when I was younger.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/hiding-veggies-dog-treats.2073/

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup chicken liver
1 cup yellow veggie
1 cup green veggie
1 egg (optional, but, they fall apart easier without the egg)
Oats to thicken.

cook 1st three ingredients, in any way you like. Beat together,
and add in egg, stir oats to thicken.
Drop by spoonfuls onto blue rubbery silicone cookie sheet liner. (or these stick like crazy)

LET THE DOG LICK THE BEATERS AND BOWL CLEAN.

BAKE AT 450 x 30 minutes or so...sometimes 45 minutes,( til firm.)

cool.
THESE WILL RESEMBLE small HAMBURGERISH TYPE COOKIES.
EAch cookie can be broken up into small crumbs for tricks training.
(dogs do not care how big a training treat is, at all)

Now take 1 week supply of treats and put into baggies.
Put all those baggies in a freezer bag, and freeze.
Store this week's supply in refridgerator.

ALL DOGS GO CRAZY FOR THESE, and they are healthy,
the small lil cookie contains
NO FLOUR
NO SUGAR
NO SALT
NO SPICES
NO ARTIFICIAL ANYTHING
and only cost about $6 to make almost a month's worth of training treats!!

Ina

ALL DOGS GO CRAZY FOR THESE, and they are healthy,
the small lil cookie contains
NO FLOUR
NO SUGAR
NO SALT
NO SPICES
NO ARTIFICIAL ANYTHING
and only cost about $6 to make almost a month's worth of training treats!!

This sound really easy to make and YUMMY. We will try it this afternoon :love:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Oh, cool, let me know if your pooch liked the recipe?? So far, i have not had one dog dislike these, not yet anyway!! Sometimes, i pass out lil baggies of these to my pals who are owned by dogs, or for the other dog lovers on my street, and they always come ringing my doorbell for the recipe, "My dog just never likes any treats, but wow, he went crazy over these!! What is in them??" ha ha!!

Ina

There was no need to pre-rinse the bowl before putting it in the dishwasher !

Even the cat likes these :) Thanks for sharing the recipe.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
you made them!! YAY!! and your dog liked them? YAY!!!!

Did you let him lick the beaters, too? (mine are not sharp, at all, and it's more challenging for him to lick off, takes him forever...however, now whenever he hears the beaters, he sits and smiles up at me, like, "When? Are you almost done?" even if it's not for him, ha ha)

Ina

Actually your post reminds me to make some more of them. I am followed by all the dogs in the park when I bring the bag of cookies along :D
.. and no, I didn't let him lick the beaters but will do so next time. Should keep him busy for a while to get the last little bit out. Puppytainment!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
by the way, if anyone has a dog who can't do eggs (my last dog developed an egg allergy late in life)
the egg in this recipe is OPTIONAL, but, they do fall apart easier without the egg, but dogs still love them.

Appy

Hi all - how do people cook the chicken liver? Other recipies I've seen have you use raw ones (:sick: can't do that!)

Also what veggies do you use?

Tempted to try this one.......

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I use chicken liver, it is sold in tubs, in the meat dept, and only costs $2.
For yellow veggie, i usually use carrots,
and for green veggie i usually use fresh green beans.

but, you can use any 2 veggies, (no onions, of course). Other veggies you can use include yams, sweet potatoes, plain potatoes, broccoli, asparagus, whatever FRESH "REAL" veggies you have on hand will do. Not canned, not frozen.

You can cook the 3 ingredients in any fashion you prefer, boil, bake, grill, whatever.
I usually boil the liver, but you can grill it, or bake it (takes along time to bake though) Your dog will not care AT ALL how you choose to cook it!! :) He will LOVE it!!! promise!!
I often boil the veggies, too, putting in carrots first, as they take longer to get soft. When carrots are almost soft, then add in green beans. The beans don't take that long. I start with all fresh, real veggies, not canned, not frozen. "Real" ones.

For some reason, i boil the veggies separate pan from the meat, but, i suppose that makes no sense, but, that is how i do it. Two pans of boiling water, one for meat, one for veggies. Let me know if your dog likes it, and don't forget to let your dog lick the bowl and the beaters!!!!:p

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
just noticed you say you own a dog, but can't provide real raw meat for this? no way!! This is part of being a good dog owner, is giving your dog real meat sometimes!! You can do it!! Be grown up, come on, i'm cheering for you!! It's not that bad, bring pot of water to boil, and open tub of liver, dump it into boiling water. There will be liquid in the tub, too, that can go right into the boiling water, too. YOu really should not "handle" the meat, just dump it in.

cook til done, (no red inside).
done, now aren't you proud of yourself?:)