Problem...

Dlilly

Honored Member
I don't like the plan my trainer has for Rory. I just don't think it will work. She wants him to meet my dogs through a crate. When he gets too exited, I should pull a blanket over the crate, and when he's calm give him treats. He won't care about treats if Shiloh is near, and he won't calm down if he knows there is a dog around. :(

There's only 1 other trainer near me and they are just way too expensive.

On the bright side, Rory is terrified of Shiloh. Shiloh snuck through the door into my room and just went after him (not a fight, I was able to grab her, it was just a ton of noise) and now Rory runs when he sees her. It might be easier to introduce them, he won't be going crazy now just scared. He might give Shiloh her space and not mess with her….

I don't know what to do now. I don't want to introduce him to Shiloh because if it doesn't go well it will be even harder to make them get along. :(

southerngirl

Honored Member
The plan your trainer has seems like it would be over the threshold for Rory. Maybe you could tell your trainer your not comfortable with that and would like to try another approach.
I have the same problem with Missy that you have with Rory. She wasn't socialized and doesn't no how to react around dogs. I kept Missy under threshold which meant having my friends dog really far away and using treats I slowly got closer. Than walked them together. Than let them greet each other.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
First of all, where would the crate be located when meeting the other dogs (in the house or outside)? Maybe it would be best to have the crate with Rory in it outside to begin with.

Stay with him and give him treats while he's calm in his crate. Then once you feel confident ask someone to bring Shiloh or Delilah outside (make sure they keep their distance while Rory gets the idea of "oh, there's a dog over there... so what? It's no big deal." (make sure you stay calm about it too - or he'll pick up on your nerves -- Missy does with me!) Just keep feeding him while he's calm... and the person helping can eventually ever so slowly walk up (calmly!!) It sounds like it would work if you went REALLY slowly.

I've also always read in different places (books, etc.) that it's a good idea for a new dog to meet new dogs (that are going to be part of the family) in neutral places (like a dog park, on a walk etc.)

Hope this helps.

Good luck. (y)

Let us know how it goes!!

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
I kept Missy under threshold which meant having my friends dog really far away and using treats I slowly got closer. Than walked them together. Than let them greet each other.
Veronica is very dog reactive and on the few occasions when we have known someone with a dog that seemed like a good match and people who weren't freaked out by Veronica; we met on neutral territory and walked the dogs trying to stay under threshold and slowly getting closer until they were calm and comfortable enough to meet.

Dlilly

Honored Member
She wanted us to do it in the living room. My house is so tiny there is barely room for his crate in the living room.

I like the idea of doing this outside and with distance. The problem with Rory is that the split second he sees a dog is in a modr ehete he won't listen to me at all. Nothing around him will distract him from watching the dog. I don't know how I can reward him if he is already reacting to the dog when he sees it.

I will give this a try though, with Delilah. Poor thing was terrified of Rory staring at her. Delilah will be calm and pay attention to me (or whoever is holding her) while Rory's in his cage.

First of all, where would the crate be located when meeting the other dogs (in the house or outside)? Maybe it would be best to have the crate with Rory in it outside to begin with.

Stay with him and give him treats while he's calm in his crate. Then once you feel confident ask someone to bring Shiloh or Delilah outside (make sure they keep their distance while Rory gets the idea of "oh, there's a dog over there... so what? It's no big deal." (make sure you stay calm about it too - or he'll pick up on your nerves -- Missy does with me!) Just keep feeding him while he's calm... and the person helping can eventually ever so slowly walk up (calmly!!) It sounds like it would work if you went REALLY slowly.

I've also always read in different places (books, etc.) that it's a good idea for a new dog to meet new dogs (that are going to be part of the family) in neutral places (like a dog park, on a walk etc.)

Hope this helps.

Good luck. (y)

Let us know how it goes!!

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Dlilly, have you read the BAT book or seen the videos? This might help with Rory's reactivity. There is a yahoogroups BAT list to help you after you've read the book. It basically works by rewarding the dog for feeling calm in situations which used to make them tense; it's step by step so the dog can succeed.

I agree that the crate thing doesn't sound like a good idea -- to him it will be a matter of being stuck in a metal box while something that scares him looms outside, yuck to that. Dang it, if you were around here, we could use Calvin, he's the best with these frustrated/reactive guys. My late dog was a "you lookin' at ME?" type but Calvin is the total opposite, and having an unwaveringly non-reactive dog to practice with is a great help. If Delilah is calmer around Rory, use her to work with him, and stay under threshold. I don't recall what you have in terms of set up or help.

Really, take a look at BAT, I think it will help you. The book and videos are pretty easy to follow, and there's great online support for it too.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Well, Rory met Delilah off-leash today. I let him out in the yard and I then immediately remembered Delilah was in the yard too. :confused: I came outside to see Delilah walking to the door and Rory following. I clipped his leash onto his harness, but let him stay since he was somewhat calm. (I was worried he would be too much in her face and she would snap, which might have been fine now that I think about it.) He would occasionally stare and growl at her, but that was him wanting to play. Delilah just sat by the door avoiding eye contact patiently waiting for me to let her inside. Rory would sniff at her but he needed to just give her space…. Before I dragged him away he snapped at her face. He's done this before, I wasn't too concerned. He just really wants to play and it drives him insane.

I think him being on a leash and not being able to go to the dog makes him frustrated. Instead of starting at a distance, I think I'll have Rory next to Delilah and treat him when he looks at me and is calm. He would listen to me near Delilah, other times he has seen dogs he wouldn't. Wish me luck!

And sorry about the typos in the previous post. Typing on my phone is tricky.

southerngirl

Honored Member
That's great that Rory meet Delilah off leash. I've also figured out that Missy isn't aggressive but she's frustrated like Rory. they just want to play with dogs, and need to learn they can't say hi to every dog. I've also heard dogs meeting off leash is better than on leash. Good Luck and keep us updated.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Dlilly, just wondering how things are going with your dogs. Do I understand correctly that you have three dogs in your home, and that Rory is the new one? I wondered if you had tried having the other dog inside the crate outside, and slowly decreasing the distance between Rory and the crate, reinforcing him for calmness. We are having to do something like this with Brody in our backyard, as we have a dog in one neighbor's yard that drives him crazy through the fence, and kids on a trampoline in the other neighbor's yard that taunt him over the fence. It's going to be a long summer!

Dlilly

Honored Member
Dlilly, just wondering how things are going with your dogs. Do I understand correctly that you have three dogs in your home, and that Rory is the new one? I wondered if you had tried having the other dog inside the crate outside, and slowly decreasing the distance between Rory and the crate, reinforcing him for calmness. We are having to do something like this with Brody in our backyard, as we have a dog in one neighbor's yard that drives him crazy through the fence, and kids on a trampoline in the other neighbor's yard that taunt him over the fence. It's going to be a long summer!
I have 2 dogs, and Rory is the new one. :) (So 3 dogs now)

I haven't used a crate, I think it will just make him worse. I've been having him watch me with my other dog standing on the other side of the yard. I've been getting closer and closer, just having him focus on me. Sometimes he is able to look at my other dog and back at me, that's great, but sometimes he isn't so we have to take some steps back.

I'm having him watch me and not doing LAT (Look at that) because I'm not confident he will look back at me every time.