Please Help This Dog And Her Companion

MaryK

Honored Member
I know this isn't pleasant but I am in tears having just received a petition from a lady whose American Staffy is about to be punished just for looking a little Pit Bull. The unfair legislation, which was passed through the Victorian Parliament, Australia, a knee jerk reaction is the cause of her distress.

As dog lovers I really would be very grateful if you could sign.

http://www.change.org/petitions/mayor-of-hume-save-lilla-from-a-life-behind-bars?utm_source=action_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=7851&alert_id=lZTdjrWIWc_jFIugLkHdi

rouen

Experienced Member
I signed it because I am against BSL, but amstaffs are pitts, according to the American Kennel Club and the United Kennel Club. The pit bull breed is basically figurative. There is no real type to the breed, as can be seen by the many APBT's on petfinder, craigslist and any other website. Aside from the obvious reason, this is why BSL is so ridiculously stupid. :mad:

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you for signing rouen. And also thank you, you've straightened a little of the confusion in my mind as to what constitutes an 'official' Pit Bull, have often wondered why so many different looking dogs are classified on petfinders & elswhere as pit bulls.

Now you've explained about Pitts, the legislation is even more horrendous and stupid.

I know we all worked hard to try to get the Victorian Government to abandon the legislation, sadly to no avail. Plus I've signed petitions (where possible) for overseas countries in an attempt to prevent the same legislation.

Have to say all the pitts, in now I know their various forms, that I have met have been more gentle, safer to be around than some of the smaller breeds. Not that I'm against smaller breeds, ALL dogs are the product of either their training (or more likely lack of same) or unfortunately dis-ease, which can in some cases such as a brain tumour, cause the dog to become 'aggressive'.

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
As a breed that is near and dear to my heart - the confusion surrounding them is extreme.

I would encourage everyone to look at this quiz if you think you know Pitties - you may be surprised how many other dogs there are that are mistaken for them. Some like the Boxer and Swiss Mountain are easy rule outs - but others may not be as simple as you think.

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

There is only one actual Pit Bull - the American Pit Bull Terrier which has it's own specific breed standards...it is NOT recognized by the AKC but instead by the UKC and ADBA only. The first American Pit was registered in the late 1800's through UKC - the founders own dog.

Closest breed matches:
American Staffordshire Terriers AKC registered since 1936
Staffordshire Bull Terrier [English] is what most people think of when they say Staffie

All very confusing.

And with the horror that was just committed in the UK over Lennox - a dog who was just executed under the breed ban laws watchful eye not because he did anything but because he "fit the type" - even though both Victoria Stillwell and Cesar Milan offered to give him refuge and remove him from the country - outrage and hysteria over these laws are coming to a head.

If you are unfamiliar with it - their main site is down but any google search for Save Lennox will find hundreds of articles...the official site is here [though undergoing maintanience right now]
http://www.savelennox.co.uk/

http://www.facebook.com/TheLennoxCampaign

MaryK

Honored Member
I also love Pitt Bulls (got the quiz right) 'met' a couple on the beach one day. Was lying on my stomach reading when I was aware of a shadow and being sprinkled with water. Looked up and there was a dog, tail madly wagging, so sociable, with another more reserved one just behind. Poor guy who owned them was terrified and whilst frantically running over called out 'do you know they're Pitt Bulls?". Comes to something when an owner, who adored his two very lovable dogs was really TERRIFIED of my reaction. His relief when he realized I did NOT think them human eating monster was palpable. This was in Melbourne BEFORE that Government introduced the dispicable discrimination bill. And we have bills AGAINST human discrimination:poop:

Sadly only too familiar with Lennox, signed petitions, posted on Twitter and FaceBook and everywhere else I knew at the time. I'm English (live in Australia at present) and was deeply ashamed of what my birth country did - and we are supposed to be a dog loving country. Still tear up over Lennox. May his sacrifice help stupid, ill informed governments/people to realize that Pitt Bulls (and their 'look alikes") are loyal, loving, wonderful dogs and should NOT be punished just because they have somehow managed to get a 'bad rep'. Sorry, I'm ranting, but it makes me both furious and sad.:cry:

Thank you for all the information, very informative and something to remember next time I defend Pitt Bulls. I didn't know all you've posted, just that I adore the breed but cannot have one here in Adelaide as they are put down, no questions asked, just for being Pitt Bulls.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
rofl, i sucked at that test, the one i picked was called Alphafa blue blood dog or something!:ROFLMAO:
TOOK ME 3 TRIES to get right one!!

yeah, we were talking about the lennox nightmare, in the chatbox on homepage:cry: Can you imagine??...what a nightmare, what a bullheaded team whoever decided that nonsense.

A pittie in my town, last year or so,
saved his family from their home being on fire! This couple has JUST had a newborn baby,and were sleeping that way brand new parents do, :rolleyes:
and the pittie woke them up, barking and barking, and the dog pulled the baby bassinette to the front door!! I am getting goosebumps remembering this story.

The DOG made it through the smoke, to rescue that baby, pulling the bassinette to the front door!
All 3 humans, and the dog, all made it out alive. (i never quite understood why the couple didn't find their own baby, maybe it was too smokey, but, the dog did)

Well, this story so enthralled my town, that the mayor gave the dog some type of ribbon and dubbed him "Hero Dog" or something.:D

but, now, this young couple has no home, so someone gave them a brand new mobile home to live in, free!
BUT,
the couple could not find any mobile home park that allowed pitbulls to live there.:eek:
I never did hear, whether the couple gave up the free mobile home, or gave up the dog that had just saved their baby's life...

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Done.
And that whole Lennox situation made me cry, as years ago it was German Sheps, then Rotties, now it's Pits that seem to the "breed of the month", so to speak. Who's to say Sheps, or Rotties, or ?? won't be the next to be targeted, simply because they're ... who knows, black and tan? There's no logic or intellect, only misguided and misdirected emotion behind the decision. Breed profiling based strictly on a look. Just so sad. If only we treated each other as fairly as dogs treat each other (in most cases) the world would be a much better place.

MaryK

Honored Member
rofl, i sucked at that test, the one i picked was called Alphafa blue blood dog or something!:ROFLMAO:
TOOK ME 3 TRIES to get right one!!

yeah, we were talking about the lennox nightmare, in the chatbox on homepage:cry: Can you imagine??...what a nightmare, what a bullheaded team whoever decided that nonsense.

A pittie in my town, last year or so,
saved his family from their home being on fire! This couple has JUST had a newborn baby,and were sleeping that way brand new parents do, :rolleyes:
and the pittie woke them up, barking and barking, and the dog pulled the baby bassinette to the front door!! I am getting goosebumps remembering this story.

The DOG made it through the smoke, to rescue that baby, pulling the bassinette to the front door!
All 3 humans, and the dog, all made it out alive. (i never quite understood why the couple didn't find their own baby, maybe it was too smokey, but, the dog did)

Well, this story so enthralled my town, that the mayor gave the dog some type of ribbon and dubbed him "Hero Dog" or something.:D

but, now, this young couple has no home, so someone gave them a brand new mobile home to live in, free!
BUT,
the couple could not find any mobile home park that allowed pitbulls to live there.:eek:
I never did hear, whether the couple gave up the free mobile home, or gave up the dog that had just saved their baby's life...
What a beautiful story and that's a dog which is considered DANGEROUS OMG! Brought out my goosebumps too. If I were the couple, I would live in the car, under a bridge, anything rather than give up a dog who just saved my babies life. Well to be totally honest, would do that even if my dog hadn't done anything grand, dogs are NOT dangerous, no matter what the breed, it's ignorant or stupid or just plain brutal handlers who cause the problems NOT THE DOGS! Must get off my soap box - this is something I'll fight every way I can to prevent happening - Breed Discrimination is terrible!

MaryK

Honored Member
Done.
And that whole Lennox situation made me cry, as years ago it was German Sheps, then Rotties, now it's Pits that seem to the "breed of the month", so to speak. Who's to say Sheps, or Rotties, or ?? won't be the next to be targeted, simply because they're ... who knows, black and tan? There's no logic or intellect, only misguided and misdirected emotion behind the decision. Breed profiling based strictly on a look. Just so sad. If only we treated each other as fairly as dogs treat each other (in most cases) the world would be a much better place.
I cried buckets, in fact partner came home to find me sobbing in front of the computer. I had nightmares too. Yes German Shepherds were victimized along with Rotties, and an Italian breed too, cannot recall the name, I think it was a hunting breed.

In fact, not TOTALLY sure about this, but I have been told that even now German Shepherds may only be taken into Western Australia IF THEY ARE NEUTERED. If I'm wrong, please correct.

Governments need to spend the tax payers money on EDUCATING people and working harder to stamp out heinous crimes such as dog fighting. NOT on persecuting breeds who are not, for what ever reason, 'flavor of the month'.

I agree dogs treat each other, in most cases, far better than we treat each other. They don't discriminate between race/color.

View attachment 1483View attachment 1483

MaryK

Honored Member
oops have 'mommy's little helper' one of my cats Maeve - sorry about posting the same graphic twice:(

MaryK

Honored Member
Tiger Lily, three times is MUCH better than one of my friends did and he CLAIMS to 'know his breeds' - he's a judge hee hee and I sent him the url and will not embarrass him by saying how many times it took him to get the right graphic but it was more than three:ROFLMAO:

MaryK

Honored Member
bummer just noticed that some how Maeve screwed things up - will try again to re-post the graphic.
wolftalkgraphic.gif

Dogster

Honored Member
I signed.:)

This is horrible and wrong.:mad: Why would they do something like this?!?!?:mad: We were talking about Lennox and the effort to save him, it's horrible that they still killed him after all the petitions and campaigns!!!:mad::( This just makes me sick.:sick:

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you Dogster:)

Yes I originally had nightmares over Lennox and had them again the other night.

Makes me mad,mad,mad:mad::mad::mad::mad:. I agree, why would they do something like this, it just seems like a bad dream we're all having and will wake up from one day:mad:.

Cesar and Victoria and someone else, sorry cannot recall the name, ALL OFFERED HELP with Lennox.

Literally makes me feel sick:sick: