Pissing At The Correct Spot

farwyn

Well , as most of you probably know im getting a puppy that i am to pick up in about 9 days from now and i've got a couple of questions.

1) As most of dog owners know in the beginning of their life with their dogs they were facing a "Correct Pissing Location " matter ,i think im clear enough ;) , with their dogs . So since this is a rather urgent need i ask of you to explain how am i going to avoid random ... accidents all over my place :p

2) Ill be bringing her home with train .... and the trip is 6 hours long ... and i wonder how is she gonna ... do her job ? :)

southerngirl

Honored Member
This thread is perfect for you. TX did a great job with it. http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/forum/threads/puppy-problems-my-puppy-potties-everywhere.2432/

2) First you should have your pup in a crate or get a dog seatbelt for her to keep her safe in the car. I would put her in a crate and put a puppy pad in there just in case she has an accident, that way you won't have pee in your car. Just in case you don't know what puppy pads are... http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3641001&gclid=COfVuJzP2rcCFVIV7AodV3UAcg&OVKEY=puppy+pads&OVMTC=Exact&adpos=1t2&lmdn=Product+Type&url_id=148390244&creative=31819752936&device=c&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No
Take several potty breaks during the ride home. Make sure that her tummy is empty as in no food just incase she gets car sick. Also you could bring a chew toy for her, but she might sleep.

Evie

Experienced Member
Here's a link to one of our other threads on potty training puppies.

Just remember that puppies don't know that they're not allowed to pee inside, on your lap, in your car or any other place you deem unacceptable. And not only do they not know these things but they physically can't control their bladder. When you have a puppy, if she has an accident then the only one you can blame for that accident is yourself. It is your job to make sure that she gets taken outside when she needs to go, not hers. In time, yes, she will be able to take themselves out, but not for the first few months.

Just remember that if your puppy has just woken up, finished playing, eating or drinking that you'll need to pick them up and take them outside to see if they need to pee. Also if you see them walking around sniffing... take them out to see if they need to go.

If your puppy has an accident do NOT get grumpy with it... get grumpy with yourself as you're the one who failed to take him/her outside in time.

The uh, 6 hour train ride could be a bit of a problem :/ Not the best idea for a new puppy especially since you wont be able to let her outside at any stage. My best advice for that is to take a few extra towels on the trip with you so that if she has to pee, at least it won't go everywhere. You might get lucky, and she may sleep the whole way and not need to toilet, but I really don't think there's much you can do about it if she does need to go.

Hopefully someone else on here will have some better advice for you :)

Goodluck with your new family member!!! We expect pictures straight away :D

^whoops! I typed this at the same time as Southerngirl. And southerngirl, the problem I believe is that they're going to be on a TRAIN not in a car... so stopping won't be an option....

southerngirl

Honored Member
Whoops I didn't see the train part. Okay so will you be able to bring a small crate for her or no? If so put puppy pads in it. I've never been on a train so I have no clue if you can bring a small crate.

farwyn

I can bring a crate of the size : 70cmx50cmx30cmwhich is fine... i guess ill be buying one since none of my friends has any ... as for the train what about puppy pampers or something ? :D

Amateur

Experienced Member
all I remember is
they wake up ... take them out to pee/poo
they eat ... take them out to pee/poo
they fart ... take them out to pee/poo
they move ... take them out to pee/poo
they yawn ... take them out to pee/poo
they get up ... take them out to pee/poo
they scratch their left ear ... take them out to pee/poo
they scratch their right ear ... take them out to pee/poo
they blink ...
they yip ...
they pant ...
they look cute ...
they sit there ...
they lay there ...
they breathe ...

you get my point

p.s. the train part .... I'm thinking one 6 hour stint on having to pee in the crate on a pee pad ( have plenty of spares ) isnt going to set her up for problems as long as you are consistent, and firm once you get home.

MaryK

Honored Member
All the above posts are excellent. I've traveled a lot with animals and have also had the problem of a young, untrained puppy, having to make a long journey by train.

What I did was to have the puppy (he was very small) in a cat carrier, he could sit/lie down etc. in comfort (you may need a bigger dog crate though depending on the size of the puppy they MUST be able to move around a little and should be able to sit, lie, stand with ease - this is regulatory on planes). Cate carriers are enclose, plus easier for you to handle than a lot of dog crates - but size is important!!!!!!!!

Make sure you don't feed or water right before travel time - give the puppy a drink prior to traveling and wait for the pup to eliminate before setting off - means getting your timing right as trains don't wait for puppies - but as pups will urinate pretty much straight after drinking that shouldn't be a problem.

Then load on on puppy pads. Your pup may sleep the entire journey, if so, when you alight, make sure the pup can immediately 'go' as all pups need to go on waking. If you pup doesn't sleep, then keep on eye on the pads and change when they're soiled. Be careful with this, pups are wonderful escape artists so if possible, do so in an enclosed space - like the train bathroom if it has one.

And don't be upset if your puppy does 'go' while traveling, youngsters as the other people here have said, do not have any real bladder control and when the need arises - which is after all the things Amateur listed - they will go!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and please, don't forget pics/vids we'll be waiting impatiently for them.

farwyn

It was alright ! We just came to Athens and .... she wont stop crying when im not next to her xD There were no such issues along the way except for one which my goofyness caused ( She had eaten nothing since morning so i gave her part of my meal which was steak , she couldnt see me eating otherwise i wouldnt have done this , and apparently after 20 mins she ... pooped ...but all went great !

MaryK

Honored Member
LOL you asked for the poop:D:poop: Try not to fall for those 'oh Mom I'm STARVING eyes' it's very hard but best resisted at certain times.:) Like at present, my chaps been nil from 7.p.m. night before three times now and brother, those eyes, but I have to resist them. Good training for us on that score!

So glad all went well though and she's now safely home with you. Pics/vid PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE:LOL:

With her crying, this is normal for very young puppies (and also some older Shelter dogs too). What I do with a very young puppy is to get them a big cuddly toy, put it in their bed together with giving them a treat, give a cue like 'bed time', as you don't want to encourage Separation Anxiety Syndrome, and it's all too easy to allow them to develop that.

What to remember is that she's been surrounded by her siblings and fur Mom all her very young life and now suddenly her support system has gone - where? what? she doesn't understand. So, she's redirecting her need for company onto you, perfectly natural and yes you will be her Mom, companion and life long friend, but she does also need to know that hey when Mom leaves me she always comes back.

I never leave a young puppy alone for more than 15 minutes, as this is about their tolerance level, until they're happy with being left alone.

What I also do is to give them a toy/treats scattered around a little, quietly leave and 'hide' no drama or fuss, then come back when I spot they've finished playing or the treats, make a fuss and click/treat. Do this through the day at odd times and she'll quickly learn that you're always there for her, even though she cannot physically see you.

MaryK

Honored Member
P.S. forgot, don't worry if she follows you at first, this is NOT a 'stay' cue, that's why you give her something to keep her happy, albeit with puppies, sometimes the novelty of a new toy wears off very quickly.:rolleyes: I don't use any cues per se, just quietly 'leave the room' etc.

farwyn

Now i have another problem . Thing is she might be ... overreacting or something . She lsitens to me (most of the time) when i call her nearby and actually responds . I just introduced her to Mr Garden and was pretty astonished to find out that she was playing with some old logs and stuff but left the flowers alone :p But there is a problem . When we come back inside she does what she does best :p She does nothing at the garden , only inside and always in the same spot . Lastly see seems to really enjoy watching me clean up her mess cuz when i clean it up she ALWAYS comes next to me and tries to lick the flooor xD Any tips ?

southerngirl

Honored Member
Now i have another problem . Thing is she might be ... overreacting or something . She lsitens to me (most of the time) when i call her nearby and actually responds . I just introduced her to Mr Garden and was pretty astonished to find out that she was playing with some old logs and stuff but left the flowers alone :p But there is a problem . When we come back inside she does what she does best :p She does nothing at the garden , only inside and always in the same spot . Lastly see seems to really enjoy watching me clean up her mess cuz when i clean it up she ALWAYS comes next to me and tries to lick the flooor xD Any tips ?
Try offering her a toy instead such as a Kong.

MaryK

Honored Member
She sounds like a really smart young lady, already responding too you.

Now, want to get this clear. When you say she does nothing in the garden, I'm assuming you mean potty?

If so, answer to that is simple, stay outside with her she may take a while to 'go' but stick with her, show her the spot where you want her to go and find a cue word. When she goes click/treat and praise like crazy.

LOL oh they all want to investigate what it is you're clearing up, whether it's their mess or not, especially as a puppy, it's all so new to them. Hey what's Mom doing now? Gotta go investigate! They're just so cute that's for sure. Enjoy her puppyhood it's a wonderful stage, sadly over all too soon, I just adore their little inquisitive ways:love:

She's a good girl to not touch the flowers, I'd be praising on that one!:D(y) She'll find heaps to play with outside in Mr Garden, just make sure there's nothing out there which she can swallow -not just poisons but plastic bags, darned things blow over all the time here, and that type of thing.

And where are those pics??? She'll be a teenager before you get them up!!!!!!!!:LOL::p