Photography Tips

Anneke

Honored Member
Since Tigerlily asked for some advice in another topic, I thought I'd start a thread where everyone can post their tips on taking a good picture of dogs(or other animals)
Here are some of mine.

Get down to your dogs level.
I take most of my pictures sitting or lying on the ground.
If you have a dog right in front of you and you take a picture from above, the body of the dog will look distorted. Although it can create a stunning result, mostly it will look weird.
From above. See how big the head looks? Almost no body.
In this case I wanted this picture to look like this, because I thought it looks funny, almost cartoonlike;)

From the dogs level. In this case the dog looks great. (Although the lighting is off)

Light.
Be aware of where the sun is. If the sun is behind your dog, you won't be able to see any features of the dog, just a silhouette. Or your foto will be overexposed.
Overexposed...

silhouette. (not the best example, but I couldn't find another) You can't really see the face clearly.

Good light. Actually the camera compensated by using the flash. But by moving a little to my right, the sunlight was less bright.

Also try not to have the sun behind you, so your dog has to look into it. While most dogs are not as bothered by sunlight as we are, it will cause a dog to squint it's eyes. Couldn't find a picture of it.

Movement.
Most point and shoot camera's have a sportsetting. Use this when you photograph a moving dog.
Move the camera with the dog, to get the best result.
Most will also have a continuess mode, where the camera will take a few pictures.

Well these were my tips:cool: Feel free to add yours.

sara

Staff member
Good job!!!

Here's an example of sun behind the dog, silhouette. The sun itself isn't in the shot, but it's still on the wrong side

Background and what's around the dog are VERY important. If the dog is light, on a dark background, you end up with over exposure. I love this shot, but Oliver is extremely washed out, the dark dogs look great though!

I had a very hard time photographing Oliver in this dark water. Most were over exposed, but if the shot was mostly Oliver, or I took the shot lower, so the angle was less, he wasn't over exposed

The dark dogs, though, looked AWESOME!

And you have to be careful with white dogs and bright sun... LOL

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I LOVE THIS THREAD!! WHERE IS THE "LOVE" BUTTON for each post on here??

You are all helping me (the world's worst photographer)
so so much! Can't wait to try out some of these tips, and some of them, i can't believe i never ever considered before!! THANK YOU THANK YOU !

MaryK

Honored Member
Good idea Dogster, I am learning so much and the weather today looks promising for a photo session at sunset all fingers crossed!