Paws pad protection

alee

I was just wondering if anyone had some advice on what I could use to protect the pads on my dog's paws this winter while skijoring? I've tried the boots before but he walks funny. I was thinking more of a gel or spray if anyone knew some good products it would help me out a lot! Thanx!:dogwub:

hilery

I don't have a lot of experience with the booties, but since it is not a natural thing for dogs to wear, they have to get used to them. Maybe one of the other members has some ideas about that!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Hunting stores and pet stores should both carry paw pad protection items. Most are rub-on creams or gels. I use them on Mudflap, my BC, because her paw pads get extremely dry and tear or crack easily. It's done wonders for her. If your town has a Gander Mountain, Gebo's, Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, or other hunting supplier, I know they carry these products(at least in my area). Petsmart and Petco should also carry these items. I use both just for extra protection. After a little while your dog will adjust to the boots. =)

alee

Thanx you guys, i think i'll try the gels. He gets really anxious when I tired the boots on him before. And I wouldn't like him to associate skijoring with anxiety, fear or having to wear the boots.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Where I got my husky, they did sledding and they told me that they use boots on their dogs. They hate them, and they cant have them on for too long or they start to take them off. But as soon as they start sledding, the boots is the last thought on their minds. ;)

alee

The boots are no longer an option, thats why i asked this questio i need an alternative for protecting his paws.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
If you wanted to keep trying the boots, you could try using clicker training to get your dog to see them as a positive thing. If you already have with no success, then just look for the ointments/gels/etc. ^^

snooks

Experienced Member
have you tried positive association similar to that done with head harnesses. using a clicker and treats and teaching the dog to target the boots with his foot or nose might help. boots mean fun and food and running. there are some good videos online about head harnesses. check out http://abrionline.org/videos.php freebies. scroll down, there are 5-6+ vids on training with gentle leader head harnesses that would be workable with boots.

i went through the same with my dogs and muttlucks. try a couple of different brands. I think muttlucks though well made have very tight turtle neck like ankle bands and they are uncomfortable b/c they push all the hair back against the grain. they are also hard to slide on but do stay put nicely. i suggest a boot with a wider neck and velcro wrist strap.

otherwise they make a lot of paw waxes that stay on longer than some of the sprays etc. since the dog will probably ingest it try for a papraben, petroleum free wax at an organic store. it does help with my dogs' pad getting very dry and peely when there's a lot of snow.