Pack Walks Anyone?

Pawbla

Experienced Member
I've seen people offering "pack walks" in various places, but I'm intrigued about what is actually done in a pack walk besides walking. I'm assuming something else is done since I don't think people would pay for walking in a public area?

Has somebody attended to one of these events? Could you tell me what people do in them?

Thanks!

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
I am not sure about paid for pack walks but I help to organise group walks once a month on a Sunday morning in my area. They are free to join in and we ask for ideas where to walk during the month prior to the walk and then do a different walk each month. The good thing about it is introducing people to new walks that the dogs and people love but may be a bit too remote etc to do on your own with your dog. We have a qualified pet first aider and human first aider and one of the girls that walk with us is a behaviourist as well that walks with her dogs. It is a great way to meet fellow dog walkers. We have rules set out regarding any issues that may arise but it is very rare that we encounter problems as it is like minded dog owners who are aware of their dogs at all times and the dogs love it. We would never ask for payment to do it though...

Pawbla

Experienced Member
We have rules set out regarding any issues that may arise but it is very rare that we encounter problems as it is like minded dog owners who are aware of their dogs at all times and the dogs love it. We would never ask for payment to do it though...
What kind of rules are set in your pack walk group? It's an entirely new concept for me, haha.
I'm guessing that one of the rules is "dogs must be leashed"? Or do you do off-leash walks too?

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
The basic rules are set out below:

All dog owners are fully responsible for the welfare, behaviour and safety of their own dog, at all times.

If a dog appears to be suffering in anyway then they will need to be taken home immediately or to visit a Vet.

Owners must carry fresh water and a fold away dog bowl, for their own dog.

Appropriate collars and leads should be used when required.

If there is any conflict /problems within the pack, or with another stranger dog approaching, then that dog should be lead walked for the duration of the walk to prevent any possible anxiety within the group. The other owners should then respect the space of any lead walked dogs and not allow the dog to feel constricted by the lead whilst their dogs are unleashed.

Appropriate weatherproof clothing and footwear are required as walks will be taken over rough land, beaches, hillsides etc.

A pack of dogs that are all well behaved is excellent mental and physical stimulation for your dog.

Punctuality is essential. People will only be allowed a 5 minute delay time, as dogs can get very restless waiting.

We are more than happy for the dogs to be off lead and the majority always are. We do have some that come along and just want to walk their dogs on lead they do and the rest of the pack's owners make sure that the dogs on lead have space and their dogs do not crowd them.

There are times that all dogs are leashed as we can walk along public access routes that include livestock areas though.

Pawbla

Experienced Member
The punctuality seems important. I can imagine how nervous a bunch of "static" dogs would get :S.

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
The punctuality seems important. I can imagine how nervous a bunch of "static" dogs would get :S.

Thanks a lot for your answer!
It is really important - the hanging around part can change the 'feel' of the whole walk, the dogs excitement can build and they play off it so the sooner we are under way and they can expend the initial excitement of being on a walk the better!