Our Dog Is Learning Geometry

nora

Our black lab is eager to please, but not always too bright about it. So, I was very pleased to see that he is learning about parallel v. perpendicular. The problem comes from the fact that he chooses the narrowest part of the heaviest traffic areas of the house as his resting places: the top of the stairs, the walkway between the dining room and the kitchen, the hallway right between my office and the bedroom, etc. I'm sure that he thinks he is being a faithful guardian, but mostly he causes me to trip and drop whatever I'm carrying. So, lately, we've been making him lay on his bed under a table when he's in the way. He must have had an "Ah, Ha" moment because now he lays in the same areas, but parallel so we can walk past him without doing the tripping dance!

MaryK

Honored Member
Oh that's gorgeous!!!!!!!:LOL: I know just how you feel, my older boy does the same thing, we all have learned to jump, step or squeeze past him. 'Fraid he hasn't had that "Aha" moment. I'll have to use your ideas, there's always hope he'll learn!

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Smart boy!!! He gets an "A" for the day!! Could he do a "dog-blog" or send out "pawmail"? (y):LOL: What is it with them?? :confused::LOL: I'm going thru the same thing with my boy. He's always parked across entries/hallways/walkways, and at the age of 7, this is new - he just started this a couple mos ago and it's making me crazy. Mary, I don't see Zeus or Alf having" Ah-Ha" moments any time soon. I think we're on our own. :confused::ROFLMAO:

MaryK

Honored Member
Smart boy!!! He gets an "A" for the day!! Could he do a "dog-blog" or send out "pawmail"? (y):LOL: What is it with them?? :confused::LOL: I'm going thru the same thing with my boy. He's always parked across entries/hallways/walkways, and at the age of 7, this is new - he just started this a couple mos ago and it's making me crazy. Mary, I don't see Zeus or Alf having" Ah-Ha" moments any time soon. I think we're on our own. :confused::ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO:Neither do I Jackie, something tells me our two boys would get an F for geometry!:confused::eek::oops:O_o:unsure: We're def on our own with this one.:rolleyes: :whistle: But at least Alf closes cupboard doors, not open and devour the contents of them, or the refridgerator, so you're one up on me there!:ROFLMAO:

sara

Staff member
Ha ha ha too funny!!!

My dogs dont do this at all. I clicker trained Oliver to move out of my way, so he always gets up and moves away when I'm walking towards him... Mouse and Boo have been tripped over enough that they learned to stay away from feet without me training them LOL

Anneke

Honored Member
That's great! Maybe your dog can come teach Jinx this... She is always in my way. In the doorway or at my feet.:D
And when you try to step over her, she gets up, to follow me around, making me trip over her:rolleyes: