One Factor For Lily Being Such A Beeyotch Is....

threenorns

her teeth! omg, i can't believe nobody noticed this before! that pink bulge just behind her canine is her tongue protruding from between her very tiny back teeth. does that on both sides. her teeth also look wierd - kinda big and at wierd angles. you can see her diet's shyte, too, from the buildup - her teeth are worse than dandy's and she's half his age!

threenorns

i think bec it's so much effort for her to eat she would take so long that the dog that used to be here, looseyfur - a very overweight goldendoodle - would hoover up her food before she had a chance to finish. that would definitely start the food possession.

i'm also wondering if constantly being hungry but having her food snatched from her or being given food she couldn't eat would increase her predatory behaviour.

threenorns

i got a video of lily eating (video bombed by dandy) - i found that cutting the meat into long thin strips seems to help her keep them in her mouth but it's still a bit torturous watching her. you can see how far back into her mouth she has to get the meat in order to work it. dandy just goes "crunch crunch gulp" done.

now, does anyone else think her bottom jaw looks a bit.... i dunno, underslung, maybe? too small? or is that how chi dogs are supposed to look?

Linda A

Experienced Member
The video is working fine. I don't see any thing wrong with the way she is eating. Dogs chew with the molars that are farthest back. If seeing her chew like this bothers you just cut the meat into cubes instead of strips. Looks like she is just not a gulper. If her front teeth line up properly there is nothing wrong with her bite. Seeing her tongue on the side like that is normal.

threenorns

hmmm.... i guess it's bec she's the only small dog i've had any real interaction with. the dogs i know, they approach their food with zest and a bit of a bounce. they look happy when they're eating and make short work of their meals. her, she just seems sooooo tired eating her food - like it's this huge chore that must be endured. and it doesn't matter what it is - she is not enthusiastic about anything (except hot dogs but that's not a diet and she only gets one per day max).

if i cut the food into cubes, they fall out of her mouth onto the floor - that's what i started cutting into strips. she seems better able to keep a grip on them.

her front teeth interlock but they do stick out at angles - see, all the other dogs (which were large) i've had had neatly interlocking teeth and when their mouth is closed, the back teeth touch lightly with little to no space between them. certainly not enough have the tongue sticking out like that - this is what i mean:

with lily, those small teeth right behind the canine are virtually invisible, the third is tiny, and the fourth one is the first tooth of any real consequence.

threenorns

yeah - the bottom one is what dandy's teeth look like. lily with her mouth fully closed looks like she has no teeth at all between the canine and the last molar (they're there, just really itty-bitty).

i'm wondering if she has chinese crested in her - she's a REAL mixed up mutt so it's possible.

threenorns

i looked up chinese crested tooth problems and this image here is *exactly* what lily's teeth look like! (the ones on the side, not the front teeth).

brody_smom

Experienced Member
She looked pretty normal to me in the video. Funny, she looked like she could have been a lab at first, with no context for size. Then when she moved toward the camera and your hands appeared, she shrank! And Dandy is so handsome! Some dogs just aren't food oriented. My mom has such a hard time getting her Shih-tzu to eat anything, and yet he is healthy. She hasn't done any training with him because he doesn't like treats. I keep telling her to use affection and toys as rewards, but she won't try. He's a well-behaved dog, so she doesn't really need to work with him, but she had such fun teaching her last dog to dance and a few other things, so she had hoped to do the same with Basil.

threenorns

aw, that sucks, lol - i know how she feels: i had such ambitions to teach dandy to walk on his front legs but a trainer advised against it bec of his size and long body. she feels he could really hurt himself putting that much load on his shoulder joints. *mope*

thank you - dandy is lovely, even through a camera that's covered in slobber and nose goo .

my sister sat down today and looked me with lily on one side of my lap and dandy's head on the other side and she said "wow... she's not trying to eat his face!"

Linda A

Experienced Member
My dogs teeth look like the ones in the first internet photo you posted. If the bottom lip was pulled down you could really see how much of a gap there is between the upper and lower front molars. I often find my dogs tongues sticking out through that space. Sort of looks like they are biting their tongue. LOL!

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Brody's teeth are just like the second photo, but, when he is really relaxed he sometimes has just the tip of his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth.

threenorns

thing i'm wondering is, if the back teeth are so small they don't even touch, how the heck is a dog supposed to manage kibble? no wonder she's not food motivated - the effort far exceeds the reward.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I tried doing a google search for images of normal chihuahua teeth. Apparently they don't exist! Seriously, there were so many disgusting images of rotten, crooked, bloody, abscessed teeth. Didn't see one of a side view of a normal chihuahua, only those lovely "smiling" dogs.