Not A "training" Issue, More Of A Behaviour Question

threenorns

when i sit down on the couch (for example), dandy will come rushing over then turn around and back up his butt against me, then look back at me with an open, laughing grin. i always automatically scratch but i'm wondering if it means something else? he'll do it when we're out walking if we run into someone he likes - just back up his butt against their knees then look up and back at them (and they always automatically scratch).

threenorns

oh, he LOOOOOVES belly rubs, butt scratches, chest rubs - he just loves to be mauled.

the problem is that he gets so hyper he'll flip on his back and start waving his legs around and then you end up scratches and a black eye.

he gets really hyper.

Anneke

Honored Member
Cooper does that!! Only he will come in and wiggle himself between your legs, from the front and stop halfway, so the only place you can pet him is his butt:D
We know he does this, so we know to spread our legs, but he will use a bit of force if someone doesn't get what he is doing, and knock them over:rolleyes:

ackerleynelson

when i sit down on the couch (for example), dandy will come rushing over then turn around and back up his butt against me, then look back at me with an open, laughing grin. i always automatically scratch but i'm wondering if it means something else? he'll do it when we're out walking if we run into someone he likes - just back up his butt against their knees then look up and back at them (and they always automatically scratch).
I also think that he loves to be scratched... :p

threenorns

heh - that's what i think, that he just loves the attention, but on another forum, omh - he's being "dominant", i must "put a stop to that immediately before it turns to something worse!" and so on. funny thing: they're ALL about "dominance" but they can't stand cesar either - they say he's "wussy". i don't know why i go there - i don't really like the vibe. it's like they're all angry at their dogs all the time.

Linda A

Experienced Member
I think he just loves to be scratched and knows how to get what he wants. If what he is doing bothers you, you might train him to do a different behavior in order to get his 'lovings.' LOL!

threenorns

yeah, i stopped going to that other forum - it was making me too damn paranoid. i know dandy and i know he's not a mean dog and if he's being "dominant", it's in the same way my kid's trying to weasel an extra treat out of me.

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Cooper does that!! Only he will come in and wiggle himself between your legs, from the front and stop halfway, so the only place you can pet him is his butt:D
We know he does this, so we know to spread our legs, but he will use a bit of force if someone doesn't get what he is doing, and knock them over:rolleyes:
Veronica does the exact same thing! :D

And I agree, some people go crazy with the dominance stuff...which actually has been scientifically debunked. Our dogs are not vying for world dominion! :D

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Brody started doing something like this lately. When we are playing fetch in our yard, I use two balls to make it more of a work out. Sometimes Brody doesn't bring the ball all the way back, maybe he knows I have another in my hand, so I can just use that one instead of waiting for him to bring me his. So I started squatting down and tapping the ground where I want him to put the ball before I throw mine, and he was doing this quite consistently. Then all of a sudden he decides to turn around and back his butt onto the spot I was tapping. So there he is wedged in between my legs waiting for hugs and cuddles before I throw the ball!

southerngirl

Honored Member
Brody started doing something like this lately. When we are playing fetch in our yard, I use two balls to make it more of a work out. Sometimes Brody doesn't bring the ball all the way back, maybe he knows I have another in my hand, so I can just use that one instead of waiting for him to bring me his. So I started squatting down and tapping the ground where I want him to put the ball before I throw mine, and he was doing this quite consistently. Then all of a sudden he decides to turn around and back his butt onto the spot I was tapping. So there he is wedged in between my legs waiting for hugs and cuddles before I throw the ball!
Aww that's so cute!