Noob

Jamie Shaffer

We recently brought Chance into the family. He is a 2 year old Lab/Australian Cattle Dog/Blue Heeler mix who has been bounced in and out of other homes, foster homes, and primarily shelters. He is a wonderful dog! He is still skiddish, but he has every reason to be right now. My husband is working with him on clicker training. We do a lot of backpacking and need for him to be really well trained. His first trip with us will be at the end of May.

Then there is Bear, a 5 week old Lab/Akita mix my parents brought to us last Sunday. He is a baby so his personality is unknown, but from what I read about his mix he will be big and cuddly and have a great temperament. He is such a little fluff ball!

Chance and Bear get along great and play very well together. They are terrific with the kids! We have a great family dynamic going on!

Attachments

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
SQUEAL!!!!!!! CUTE OVERLOAD!!!! so BOTH of these are your new dogs?? LUCKY YOU!!

what ---a puppy taken from his siblings and mamma at only FIVE WEEKS OLD?? ohhhh...
He'll be nippier for not getting those lessons from mom and siblings...

the rescue going on a hike-----
Getting a solid recall, solid enough to work on a hike in new place,
in a dog that is brand new to you,
in only 3 or 4 weeks,
is asking a lot of the dog.

Make sure you microchip him, and make sure you practice long distance recall (fenced in school yards)prior to letting him off leash in woods. (well, of course, you have to slowly work up to long distance recall)

i dunno, i dunno, good way to lose a brand new dog. Rescue dogs take a while to realize they are not lost, and actually DO belong with you now.
Ours took forever to 'know' that. Please don't lose your new dog on a hike. I'd take him, but, i'd wear a large belt over my jacket, and slip his extenda leash over the large belt. I would not let a dog i'd had only 3 or 4 weeks, off leash on a hike in a new place...nope.

RE: THE SKITTISHNESS of the rescue dog:
This is very normal in adult rescue dogs, as are potty training accidents done out of nervousness. Adult dogs new to a home are nervous, whether you can spot it or not. And they tend to be very reserved, trust me, you haven't yet "met" this dog yet, he is on his company manners. He'll bloom later on, you will spot it happening.

To him, he is lost, and you are only nice strangers. He needs time to size you all up, and watch you, and decide if you guys are all right or not. GIVING TREATS IS TREMENDOUSLY BONDING to a dog. If he won't accept treats by hand yet, toss them to him, in ever decreasing distances to you.

When he does accept treats from your hand, do this often. And have him lick small dabs of peanut butter off of your hand, very very bonding to the dog, i can't overemphasize the bonding value of TREAT too much.

I use real meat, and keep itty bitty. Dogs do not care how big a treat is. at all.

BUT CONGRADULATIONS!! AND KUDOS TO YOU!! ADORABLE DOGS, JUST LOVED BOTH PICTURES!!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Here is one of my heros, Kikopup, WITH SOME GREAT ADVICE ON SHY DOGS, not that your new rescue who is sizing you all up is "shy" but, some of these tips are helpful, to help any new dog get comfortable with his new family.
AND KUDOS TO YOU FOR RESCUING A DOG!!! GOOD ON YA!! I like you already!!! hee hee!!

http://youtu.be/AElTVoIPlOw

Jamie Shaffer

Thanks for all the advice! Chance actually got comfortable very quickly! He is already able to go off the leash and is great about coming back when we call him. We don't do this often, but just letting him get the feel of it in the back woods seems to be going well (we are just afraid he'll chase a squirrel, he seems to really want to, and we don't know how far he'll go for one). His last foster parents had actually fostered him twice and they took great care of him. He is an incredible dog, and for one that has been bounced around so much is very grounded and eager to please. Given that he is such a submissive pooch, I think he'll pick up on his commands very easily. We don't have to compete with him to be alpha. He is responding to his clicker training very well. And he gets plenty of treats!! :) I guess I should have said that we've had him for about a month or so now. He was nervous the first few hours, but we had dinner guests over and he livened up and is no bashful dog anymore after that night! We got lucky to have found a dog that is so easily adaptable and good hearted!

sara

Staff member
Welcome to the DTA! You got yourself a couple of cuties there! I LOVE the rescue, he is absolutely adorable! Enjoy him :D He will certainly enjoy having a perminant home!