Next Steps In Basketball Training?? Help Me

Dogster

Honored Member
Wow, he is doing so well!!!!:eek::D I would raise the basket, gradually, very slowly, until he gets the jump shot you wanted. I think it would be too much for him if you just remove the stool completely.

Mutt

Experienced Member
I would think just start on the ground with the basket and step by step making it higher without first using a step.
Maybe practice jumping with a ball in mouth and then practicing jumping with ball in mouth and letting it go while in the air and then combining this with the basket?
I never learned this kind of tricks, so I have no idea if this is helpfull :ROFLMAO:

Gripster

Wow, he is doing so well!!!!:eek::D I would raise the basket, gradually, very slowly, until he gets the jump shot you wanted. I think it would be too much for him if you just remove the stool completely.
Thanks Dogster! Yeah, I agree -- going from a 16" reach to a 30 inch reach would definitely be too much. I'll keep raising it in 2 " increments until we get to 30 inches, then remove the stool and let him do the 30 inches from the ground. 30" is as low as the hoop goes -- that's why we have to use the pedestal at first.
I'm putting a cue word "boing" to the jump I want and training that behavior separately.

Gripster

I would think just start on the ground with the basket and step by step making it higher without first using a step.
Maybe practice jumping with a ball in mouth and then practicing jumping with ball in mouth and letting it go while in the air and then combining this with the basket?
I never learned this kind of tricks, so I have no idea if this is helpfull :ROFLMAO:
Great idea Mutt! I'm already putting a cue word "boing" to the Jack Russell jump -- once I get that behavior reliably on cue, then I could have him hold a ball and 'boing'. Then release the ball on cue -- he might just do that if he's 'boinging' next to the hoop with a ball in his mouth?!!!