Next Steps In Basketball Training?? Help Me

Discussion in 'Training Challenges' started by Gripster, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Gripster Active Member

Appreciate any help in the next step for this behavior. Objective is a "jump shot' from the ground into a 2-1/2 ft. high net. (The dog is 14" at the shoulder).
    dogcrazy and Dogster like this.

2. Dogster Honored Member

Wow, he is doing so well!!!!:eek::D I would raise the basket, gradually, very slowly, until he gets the jump shot you wanted. I think it would be too much for him if you just remove the stool completely.
  3. Mutt Experienced Member

I would think just start on the ground with the basket and step by step making it higher without first using a step.
    Maybe practice jumping with a ball in mouth and then practicing jumping with ball in mouth and letting it go while in the air and then combining this with the basket?
    I never learned this kind of tricks, so I have no idea if this is helpfull :ROFLMAO:
  4. Gripster Active Member

Thanks Dogster! Yeah, I agree -- going from a 16" reach to a 30 inch reach would definitely be too much. I'll keep raising it in 2 " increments until we get to 30 inches, then remove the stool and let him do the 30 inches from the ground. 30" is as low as the hoop goes -- that's why we have to use the pedestal at first.
    I'm putting a cue word "boing" to the jump I want and training that behavior separately.
    Dogster likes this.
  5. Gripster Active Member

Great idea Mutt! I'm already putting a cue word "boing" to the Jack Russell jump -- once I get that behavior reliably on cue, then I could have him hold a ball and 'boing'. Then release the ball on cue -- he might just do that if he's 'boinging' next to the hoop with a ball in his mouth?!!!
  6. Mutt Experienced Member

Jep thats what I thought :)
  7. Mutt Experienced Member

ooh and of course I would love to see the progress/end result!
    Dogster likes this.