Newbie To Dog Training And The Forum

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
Hello, I have a 9 week old Red Merle Australian Shepherd named Remington or Remi for short. He is my first puppy, but not my first dog. I am planning to do alot of things with him, if he enjoys them, such as agility, obedience trials, and therapy work! I have just recently fallen in love with training, and now I'm hooked! So far Remi knows 5 tricks, and we are working on more. I can't wait to meet everyone here and learn a few things from you guys! :)

sara

Staff member
Welcome to the DTA! I've yet to own a puppy :) well, anything younger than 5.5 months :) Enjoy the forum!

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Hi and welcome to DTA! There are loads of great people here, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask, browse away for ideas, post pix of your pup, and enjoy the journey!! :)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WELCOME!! WOW, five tricks for a 9 week old puppy? WOW, sounds like you are on the right track!! Kudos!! Very impressive!

Feel free to post some photos or videos of your new baby there!!!

Dogster

Honored Member
Welcome!!!! 5 tricks is VERY impressive for a 9 week old puppy!!!!:D Your very much on your way!!! We hope to see you around here a lot!!!! And keep us posted on your ADORABLE puppy!!!:love:

Dice Smith

Hi! I love your lil guy!!! I own an aussie too and I am absolutely OBSESSED with the breed lol :D I actually thought about naming my boy Remi when he was a puppy lol! I think it is super impressive that you've already taught him five tricks. Hope you stick aroun. This site is tons of fun and I'm looking forward to watching your lil aussie grow :)
trick academy.jpg

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
Hi! I love your lil guy!!! I own an aussie too and I am absolutely OBSESSED with the breed lol :D I actually thought about naming my boy Remi when he was a puppy lol! I think it is super impressive that you've already taught him five tricks. Hope you stick aroun. This site is tons of fun and I'm looking forward to watching your lil aussie grow :)
View attachment 946
I've wanted a aussie for a few years. I love this breed, by far the most amazing breed I've owned/ been around so far. He is the quick learner, but I'm assuming its the breed? How fast does your boy learn? I actually waited a few days before naming him, but Remington just fit him the best! Your aussie is just too adorable! He just got the cutest face! :X3:

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
Welcome!!!! 5 tricks is VERY impressive for a 9 week old puppy!!!!:D Your very much on your way!!! We hope to see you around here a lot!!!! And keep us posted on your ADORABLE puppy!!!:love:
I thought we were actually not learning as fast as some pups but it makes me so happy to know we're on the right track! :)

sara

Staff member
I wish I could deal with herding breeds, I really like the looks :) but I know that a herding breed isn't for me :) I did foster a BC for awhile, and as much as I loved him, they think so totally different from Terriers!

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I wish I could deal with herding breeds, I really like the looks :) but I know that a herding breed isn't for me :) I did foster a BC for awhile, and as much as I loved him, they think so totally different from Terriers!
My roommate has a Jack russell terrier, but he's more of mine, since I train, and feed him. I love terrier breeds, thats what my family always had growing up. I wanted a border collie but don't know if I could handle the energy level.:LOL:

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
He is gorgeous - looks a bit like my Juniper - a blue merle Aussie mix! I recently rescued 3 pups - 3/4 Aussie 1/4 Border - they were 8 weeks old on Thursday. So what 5 tricks does he know?

He knows sit, down, speak, crawl, paws up (trying to remove lure now) and leave it/no. I didn't teach him leave it though, I would just tell him no and he would naturally walk away from whatever it was.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Welcome - very impressive for Remi's age! Well done you! You will find a wealth of info on trick training/general training, advice on any problems and lots, lots more on this site. Not to mention the wonderfully friendly, chatty and equally dog obsessed people!!!! It is a great site so stick around! There are also some great training videos by Jean Cote on her too!