New To The Sitte

krijmo

Hello from Chicago! I recently acquired my first dog, a German shepherd bullmastiff mix, Bubba Jay Blue. He was a rescue of sorts. Someone took him from his owner who was punishing him by starving him for pooping in her house. He was only 8 1/2 months old! I don't know what compelled me, as I've always had cats, but as soon as I heard about him from my friend who was fostering him and looking for a home for him, I had to have him. He was a mix of my two most admired dog breeds. Something just clicked. Maybe it was God's voice, because is truly a blessing! When we first met, I got down on my knees and looked into his big brown eyes, and the name Bubba just came out, and he Nuzzled my neck and rested his head on my shoulder and he has been my shadow ever since! He was so skinny when I got him, with skin and ear infections. He was prescribed special shampoo and cream and I had to clean out his ears daily. I still have to treat some skin issues, as he's chronically itchy in places, but he is very good at letting me handle him. Four and a half months later, he's gained 15 pounds, and is a healthy boy, running in the woods 5 days a week, eating well, and taking over my bed!
I'm hoping to learn better handling skills, although he's very smart, I want to be a good alpha/trainer/handler and do him justice! Hoping this site will help!

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Hi and welcome! Thanks so much for giving sweet Bubba a home - wow, what a start he had!! About the time you think you're heard the lousiest about people, you then hear one more story. Sad to think they're out there, walking among us. :confused::oops: So glad he has a bright future now, and a furever home where he'll be loved and cherished.

You've come to the right place for good suggestions and ideas on how to give Bubba the best start possible. If I can suggest taking one word out of your vacabulary, it would be "alpha" - that's suggesting a buy-in to the dominance theory. Please use only positive reinforcement training with Bubba, which will give you a relationship based on mutual respect and love. You'll get no less than if you used dominance/punishment - but you'll have a dog who doesn't fear you, one who respects you and does what you asks because you ask, not because he's afraid of being punished if he doesn't, and a dog who just loves being with you. There are loads of talented people on this site who can help with all kinds of things - just ask. In addition to basic behaviors, trick training is lots of fun and can add such depth to your relationship.

Have fun on the site - and most of all, have fun with Bubba! :love:

krijmo

Thank you so much! Yes, he is a sponge and I am too! I've read hundreds of pages on dog training. Melissa Berryman, Duff & Jane Lieder, jean Donaldson. I still feel clueless, lol. But then I hear stories from friends about their mishaps with their dogs and sometimes it's about something bubba is good at and I relax a little. He does have excitement/aggression toward other dogs. Probably lack of socialization, but I don't drive so it's hard to get out and meet other dogs readily. I still have to find a good trainer, one that can come to my home. Maybe I'll meet some Chicagoans here that will have some advice.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Hi, and welcome. Good for you on taking Bubba. I just can't see how people can treat dogs like that, especially a puppy. If you have any questions about training just ask.

krijmo

Well, he's got an in-home training appointment at noon on Wednesday of next week with a trainer from dynamic dogs in Chicago. Should be fun!

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Hi Krijmo

Well, he's got an in-home training appointment at noon on Wednesday of next week with a trainer from dynamic dogs in Chicago.
Looks like they are in the Cesar Millan camp :-( -- their trainers are all pictured using pinch collars and choking chains on dogs. Did you know that? If you are interested in training without physical punishment, perhaps we can help you find someone else in your area.

Regarding his 'excitement' with other dogs, you may want to look into Behavioral Adjustment Training -- basically, he is rewarded for calm behavior around other dogs using functional (environmental) rewards. There is a DVD series which explains it -- "Organic BAT" IIRC -- and there is a book too.

Dogster

Honored Member
Welcome!!!!:) Wow, that's quite a story!!! We'd love to see some photos of Bubba!!!:D

Knowing his past, I would stay away from Cesar Millan-type training. Positive reinforcement will really give you the best result. The training place you booked an appointment to doesn't look too good.:confused: As A&C mentioned, all the dogs are wearing prong collars and choke chains. And at the bottom of the page, there is proof that they are a Cesar Millan camp:

http://dynamicdogschicago.com/about_chicago_dog_trainers#

MaryK

Honored Member
Welcome! So glad you have taken in Bubba, just love his name. It's so sad though to read of his start to life, how can people do that to a young puppy is beyond me.

A & C and Dogster are right! Stay away from any trainers who are in the Milan camp, especially with Bubba's ghastly start to life.

Please use only Positive Reinforcement Training, Jackiemutts has expressed it so well as to why this method is the only one to use.