bekah1001

Honored Member
So my birthday is coming up in two weeks and my Mom told me that she was getting me a kitty. Her friend owns a farm which equals barn cats, but one day they found one kitten and do not know who the mother is. I'm getting her on Sunday, so I have a ton of shopping to do! I'm so excited :D!!!!!! I don't know if she counts as my first rescue, cause she is just coming from a barn, but she's going to a good home :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Fantastic, love that kind of birthday present, a real live, living breathing little one to love and cherish:D

Guess it does kinda count as a 'rescue' barn cats don't always have the best of lives.

bekah1001

Honored Member
I was almost shaking from excitement! I'll have to post pictures when we get her...well if it is a girl cat. (Im not 100% sure)

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I would definitely call this a rescue. Barn cats have pretty rough lives, and kittens can be killed or mutilated by raccoons, coyotes, crows, hawks, etc. My coworker bought a farm that came with cats in the barn. Several of the kittens had missing eyes. When he was lighting a bonfire of old pallets and fallen branches, he soaked the whole pile with gasoline and was about to light it when his kids started screaming at him to stop. They heard meowing, so they looked under the wood and found 4 tiny kittens all soaked with gasoline.

bekah1001

Honored Member
. When he was lighting a bonfire of old pallets and fallen branches, he soaked the whole pile with gasoline and was about to light it when his kids started screaming at him to stop. They heard meowing, so they looked under the wood and found 4 tiny kittens all soaked with gasoline.

Omg that's crazy! Poor kittens, good thing the kids noticed!

MaryK

Honored Member
I would definitely call this a rescue. Barn cats have pretty rough lives, and kittens can be killed or mutilated by raccoons, coyotes, crows, hawks, etc. My coworker bought a farm that came with cats in the barn. Several of the kittens had missing eyes. When he was lighting a bonfire of old pallets and fallen branches, he soaked the whole pile with gasoline and was about to light it when his kids started screaming at him to stop. They heard meowing, so they looked under the wood and found 4 tiny kittens all soaked with gasoline.
OMG! That's terrible. I knew barn cats didn't have the best of lives, but didn't think it was that bad!!!!!!!! Good thing the kids managed to stop their dad lightening the fire.

Yes, definitely a rescue cat, thank you Brody's Mom!:)

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Our two cats were born in a barn. The lady that we got them from has a hobby farm, and there is a cat that keeps dropping kittens in her barn and abandoning them. Every six months or so, she finds new kittens and bottle feeds them until they are old enough to adopt out.

MaryK

Honored Member
Our two cats were born in a barn. The lady that we got them from has a hobby farm, and there is a cat that keeps dropping kittens in her barn and abandoning them. Every six months or so, she finds new kittens and bottle feeds them until they are old enough to adopt out.
Lovely your two cats were adopted but why doesn't the lady get the Mommy cat de-sexed? Sounds like she's not into 'motherhood' and to just keep dropping kittens, not good for her health either.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Lovely your two cats were adopted but why doesn't the lady get the Mommy cat de-sexed? Sounds like she's not into 'motherhood' and to just keep dropping kittens, not good for her health either.
I know. The cat is not hers, it just leaves her kittens in the barn. I told her she could ask the SPCA for humane cat traps to set up so she could catch the little rascal and take her to the vet. I have heard of at least 2 more litters since we got ours 3 years ago, but I don't know if she has bothered to take care of the problem. Seems silly, as she is responsible enough to find homes for the kittens, rather than just let them languish in her barn.

MaryK

Honored Member
I know. The cat is not hers, it just leaves her kittens in the barn. I told her she could ask the SPCA for humane cat traps to set up so she could catch the little rascal and take her to the vet. I have heard of at least 2 more litters since we got ours 3 years ago, but I don't know if she has bothered to take care of the problem. Seems silly, as she is responsible enough to find homes for the kittens, rather than just let them languish in her barn.
Odd. I agree, she's responsible enough to find the kittens homes, so why not got the extra step? Is she worried the owner would get annoyed? Though that doesn't really stand up does it, as obviously they're not concerned about the cat dumping her kittens in the lady's barn. Such a shame, poor Mommy cat, having litter after litter.

bekah1001

Honored Member
This is long overdue and I have no good pictures! She looked like she was three weeks when we got her. We have decided to call her Maisie. I have been busy with school and wasn't able to post any pictures and she also got a respiratory infection that we had to deal with.
Ottawa-20131104-00261.jpg
1016787_3532343443281_869036537_n.jpg
1384294_3593335128035_310375016_n.jpg

kassidybc

Experienced Member
AWWWW!!!! Mind blowing adorableness!!!! Enjoy the sweet little girl! I would encourage you to teach her some tricks as she gets older, I would love to see some cute little kitten tricks! :)