SipwreckDD992

I have had dogs most of my life. I now have a white american sheppard and foster three other dog who are pit mixes. I would like to know more about training a service dog due to a terrible accident that i had over a yaer ago. I wish my dog maggie wasn't so old I would have loved to rain her to help me with everyday stuff.

Attachments

MaryK

Honored Member
Welcome!:) So sorry you had a terrible accident. Maybe Maggie could help you with the easy things, older dogs can learn new tricks:) Just jump in and post, there are people here who know all about training service dogs. Everyone is very friendly:) And please post pics of your doggies, we all love pics.

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Hi Sipwreck

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. If Maggie is not disabled by her age, she can still learn to help you. A wonderful, very step-by-step guide is Sue Ailsby's e-book, Training Levels. Check out http://sue-eh.ca/ . She has a corresponding yahoo list of the same name which offers great support for her book. It's not a service dog training guide, but rather a foundational training guide which teaches tasks that are invaluable in the service dog world. If you are unfamiliar with training service animals, I'd seek in-person help. Check out the APDT and CCDT organizations for qualified people in your area.

Best of luck and do ask questions and keep posting!

I have had dogs most of my life. I now have a white american sheppard and foster three other dog who are pit mixes. I would like to know more about training a service dog due to a terrible accident that i had over a yaer ago. I wish my dog maggie wasn't so old I would have loved to rain her to help me with everyday stuff.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Hi and welcome! I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. You've been given excellent advice above, especially by A & C (as usual :)). Your dogs certainly can be trained to help you with some things around the house. How old is your girl? I don't have disabilities, but have trained mine to pick things up off the floor and hand them to me, and close drawers and cupboards, just to give them jobs to do. Dogs can learn to do so many things, and have such a joyful spirit when doing things for us - especially if they get a treat here and there. :) Finding a qualified professional trainer to help you get started may be the best way to start. If that's not possible, we'll be happy to help you as best we can. Please do stick around and keep posting, ok?

Depending on the age of your shepherd, and how training goes, if you start training with your fosters, you may see one step up and shine - and that one may become the service dog of your dreams. You just never know.....