Need a good trick to teach Dude

yvonne

We are going to a show in a few weeks time and the class I have entered him in is the 'trick class' so I need to give him something really good to master.

It will be outside, so the fewer props I need the better. I dont think the judges will be impressed if I have lots to set up :doghuh:

Please help me decide on something, must be cute, interesting and above all .. impressive! :doglaugh:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I don't know much about these competion things, so my idea might be useless...but people sure seem impressed with dogs who can "read"...Somewhere on this site is a thread about teaching yor dog to "read"...
My own dog does a card trick, but he uses my eyebrows and my hand positions, and cannot really "read" the cards, of course.

You could hold up giant sized placards, so the judges can see the word, too. Maybe some easy ones, the dog reads sit or rollover or something..then have one that is fancy, like your dog walks backwards or something.

To make it funny, train your dog to do something wrong, hmmm, i can't think of good example, but if you think on it, maybe you will get idea, so that everyone LAFFS at what the dog does in response to the word you hold up.

Like, so it looks like the dog is disagreeing, or having his OWN interpretation of your sign's word, phrase or question, to make everyone laff..... but i can't think of good example right now...Anybody got idea? you know what i mean ?

Your last card could say, "Do you think we won, Dude?" and he could jump around, stand up on his hind legs and bark, or, go get a toy trophy prop or giant sized blue ribbon and bring it to you, or nod his head "yes" or something...

Or you could have a sign that says "Are you tired yet, Dude?" and Dude would lay down and play dead. You could take easy moves and put a funny-ish question to the easy move.

You could use your leg positioning, your face, the way you hold the card in your hands, to help Dude distinguish between the commands, even though i have heard dogs can learn to recognize word shapes themselves.

yvonne

tigerlily46514;18365 said:
I don't know much about these competion things, so my idea might be useless...but people sure seem impressed with dogs who can "read"...Somewhere on this site is a thread about teaching yor dog to "read"...
My own dog does a card trick, but he uses my eyebrows and my hand positions, and cannot really "read" the cards, of course.

You could hold up giant sized placards, so the judges can see the word, too. Maybe some easy ones, the dog reads sit or rollover or something..then have one that is fancy, like your dog walks backwards or something.

To make it funny, train your dog to do something wrong, hmmm, i can't think of good example, but if you think on it, maybe you will get idea, so that everyone LAFFS at what the dog does in response to the word you hold up.

Like, so it looks like the dog is disagreeing, or having his OWN interpretation of your sign's word, phrase or question, to make everyone laff..... but i can't think of good example right now...Anybody got idea? you know what i mean ?

Your last card could say, "Do you think we won, Dude?" and he could jump around, stand up on his hind legs and bark, or, go get a toy trophy prop or giant sized blue ribbon and bring it to you, or nod his head "yes" or something...

Or you could have a sign that says "Are you tired yet, Dude?" and Dude would lay down and play dead. You could take easy moves and put a funny-ish question to the easy move.

You could use your leg positioning, your face, the way you hold the card in your hands, to help Dude distinguish between the commands, even though i have heard dogs can learn to recognize word shapes themselves.
Wow this sounds good and a lot of fun for people to watch too.

Has anyone seen the thread on here about teaching this kind of thing?? It would be great to have lots of members input and help :dogsmile: Looks like I can do with a lot of help here actually lol!:doglaugh:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
If you go to "Tricks" section, and scroll to page 4, about midway down, is thread posted by Yoyopoodle, has videos of a dog "reading". Haven't watched this vid in while myself, so i don't know if it explains HOW to teach dog to do this.

I have no idea how to post a link to a thread on this site, i know it can be done, but i don't know how..

yvonne

tigerlily46514;18380 said:
If you go to "Tricks" section, and scroll to page 4, about midway down, is thread posted by Yoyopoodle, has videos of a dog "reading". Haven't watched this vid in while myself, so i don't know if it explains HOW to teach dog to do this.

I have no idea how to post a link to a thread on this site, i know it can be done, but i don't know how..
Thanks for your reply, I will go and have a look now :dogsmile:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Again, the dog in the video has apparently memorized the shapes of the words. BUT, you could do same trick, using your body language, very subtly, so the judges won't notice.
Ha, my dog, for his card trick, was trained to bark at the correct card when i lifted my eyebrows.
Silly part is, i guess i do tend to lift my eyebrows fairly often, :msneek:so.......poor ol Buddy...if he is looking at me confused during training, he barks if my eyebrows are up now, trying to see if THAT is what the answer is!!? :msngiggle:

But you could use leg positioning, like, while you hold placard #1, your legs are shut together, and your eyebrows are up, placard #2, legs apart and no expressionon your face at all, placard #3, you position your hands onto the placard in yet a different way and smile very big, etc, etc, etc, you COULD use body cues, instead of memorization of word shapes.
And do the cues in same order, to help Dude learn the routine more certainly.