• Europe

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Dawn

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Athena

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Nyx (It's NOT from Jeans Onyx :P )

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I wrote one in my comment section below !

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

farwyn

So after tha complete failure of poll number one xD it's time for poll number 2 i guess :p

I've put an option to choose a name yourself , juts include it in the comments section , you're also allowed to pick multiple names but it's strongly recommended you pick only one .

Thank You ! :D

farwyn

Hahaha well i hope this one produces results xD I'll check this up again in the afternoon to see how it goes , btw in a couple of days ill be uploading more puppy pics ( she must've opened her eyes by now ! ) , but it really depends on the breeder to send me some !

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I guess I tend to think of what I will actually call the dog, ie, what kind of nickname is going to come from the name I choose. I did the same with my kids. Some of the names in the poll don't really lend themselves to being shortened. Also, if your dog gets lost and you have to run down the street calling its name, how will it sound? When I was about 4 years old, we had a standard poodle named Kaboobie (after a flying camel in a cartoon show)who kept jumping our 6 foot fence. My dad would go wandering through the neighborhood calling, "Kaboobie, Kaboobie!" After the third or fourth escape, my dad came home and said, "we gotta change that dog's name". I think we changed it to Toby!

MaryK

Honored Member
I let the animal 'chose their name' by asking them if they like xxxxx and watching their response. They will show you by responding to whatever name they like and yes, do be careful, calling certain names whilst wandering down the street can produce some extremely interesting, if unwanted, results. Like a friend who's dog was named Tiamo (cannot use the correct spelling as this computer doesn't have acutes etc.) in Italian it means 'I Love You" or similar. She got some very strange looks from some guys (she was a very good looking lady too) when she had to call her German Shepherd, who had just got out by accident, in a predominantly Italian neighborhood! light bulbs just blown, oh boy and I thought I could touch type - YIKES!!!!!!!!!

southerngirl

Honored Member
I pick my animals name by which one I feel fits them. I will look through several names and one name will just hit me "that' it that's her/his name" For them to learn the names I just call them it all the time like... petting the dog "Hey Missy, good Missy" or clap my hands while saying "Here Missy"

charmedwolf

Staff member
I love Europe and Nyx.

Trust me, you want a name you can live with. I mean, I have a dog named after the main character in a video game. It's a little odd calling it outside though.

Caiti

Experienced Member
Dawn! I really love that name. I even considered it with Matrix but she's black and I think the name goes perfectly with cream colored dogs, like the sunrise.

Honored Member
All of you choices are really nice names.

Most of our pets either came with their name or we chose the name before we got them.
I think Grace (cat) was the only one that got her name after she arrived at our house and that was because she was a stray that never left.
Oh, and Tom (cat that's since passed), he was also a stray (a tom-cat) that never left.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
We've also only ever named our cats ourselves because we got them as kittens. All of our dogs have been rescues, or adopted from friends who had named them. We never tried to change a name, although I have heard it isn't hard to do, and is a good idea if you adopt an abused animal. Then they don't associate their name with being yelled at by their previous owner.

threenorns

i'm guessing it's for the little puppy in your avatar? the thing is, those are all - and this is just my opinion - very grandiose names. they're fine if the dog grows up with a Coco Chanel attitude (and "Coco" is a great name for a dog!) but if she's more like:

then those names would be completely disastrous, lol.

i'm a firm believer in the animal choosing their own name. in dandy's case, i named him "dent de lion" bec he was such a nippy little bugger. but as he grew, "dandy" was perfect - he's got the "puttin' on the ritz" attitude and he wears a tuxedo and on top of it all, he is convinced he's all that and a bag of the finest well-aged gourmet cow poop!

[btw: "nyx" is a name i'd only give a black dog, being as she's the goddess of night]

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I agree that the animal will pick their name. I had a hard time naming Remington, it took me three or four days to pick one. I kinda just called him a few names I liked. He responded best to Remington. I originally like the name Boyce but it didn't fit him, and he didn't respond as well to it. I know just call him Remi, much like threenorns I shorted it. He gets called Remington when he knows I mean serious business.

I like the name Nessie but I think of Nesquik chocolate milk, which would be brown. I would just make a list of the names you like and really get a feel for your pups personality before being dead set on a name.

Honored Member
i'm guessing it's for the little puppy in your avatar? the thing is, those are all - and this is just my opinion - very grandiose names. they're fine if the dog grows up with a Coco Chanel attitude (and "Coco" is a great name for a dog!) but if she's more like:

then those names would be completely disastrous, lol.

i'm a firm believer in the animal choosing their own name. in dandy's case, i named him "dent de lion" bec he was such a nippy little bugger. but as he grew, "dandy" was perfect - he's got the "puttin' on the ritz" attitude and he wears a tuxedo and on top of it all, he is convinced he's all that and a bag of the finest well-aged gourmet cow poop!

[btw: "nyx" is a name i'd only give a black dog, being as she's the goddess of night]
We chose Holly's name before we got her.
My mum and sister initially wanted to call her "Daisy" but I said "No" I couldn't have a dog with that name and my first pets were two mice called Badger and Daisy who I got when I was 5, they had just forgotten. So they had to try again (during the name choosing I was still against getting another dog so I refused to offer any suggestions but I couldn't let them pick a silly name either). They wanted a floral name and it was at christmas so "Holly" was the next suggestion that I found acceptable.
Turns out it's a good name for Holly because she sure does have thorns :LOL:
If we had gone with Holly's behaviour to pick her name she would have been "Rat-shark" as that was her nickname as a puppy because she was small and very shark-like in behaviour (ie nippy) :ROFLMAO:

Lewis was called "Mr.Pom" when we got him in December as a 3 year old. Me and mum chose his new name before we even met him or knew for sure that we would get him. I don't think he knew his old name very well because within a few days he was responding to "Lewis" and never responded to "Mr. Pom" for us. "Lewis" suits him.

Our old dog was called Paris. I chose the name weeks before we went to get her or even met her and she certainly grew up to be a "Paris", she acted very much the way you would imagine a person called "Paris" would.

... I have lot's more examples....

Maybe we've been lucky but all our pets have suited their names even if we named them before we met/saw them. I think they grow into their names just like people do. I mean how many new born babies do you see who you think need the name "Frank" or "Nigel" (or I'm sure you can think of other names that sound slightly odd when applied to e new born baby) but some baby's are given those names or there would be no adults with those names.

So I would say go with the name you like and if the dog really doesn't suit it then some nickname will probably evolve as it grows.

blacknym

Experienced Member
Deja picked her name. Lol I called her a few different things... No response. Then I called using Deja and she looked at me and pined her nose my way. That was it she was called Deja. Lol

MaryK

Honored Member
Deja picked her name. Lol I called her a few different things... No response. Then I called using Deja and she looked at me and pined her nose my way. That was it she was called Deja. Lol
I know where you're coming from, one of my cats, Maeve, who adopted me New Years Eve did exactly the same thing, refused to answer to the names I tried out, but responded immediately to Maeve. LOL she knows she's a Queen!

threenorns

omg, that's how i found out rufus's real name!!! we'd called him Checker when he was a kitten - for "chubby checker" because he was the exact shape of a roll of toilet paper! - but he was about 3yrs old and coming along for our walk ("pack walk" meant the dog, the kid, AND the cat!) and he stopped dead on the sidewalk. i looked back at him and said "checker? come on, checker... pss-pss-pss..." - no response. he just *stared* at me. and i looked at him and said ".... rufus?!?" and he stood up and carried on walking like nothing had happened. after that, he refused to acknowledge "checker" - he would only look at you if you called him rufus.