My Big Day - By Blossom Gill

MaryK

Honored Member
THE day I've been waiting for finally arrived last Monday! After weeks of hard training, being injected by the vet and many car rides I FINALLY got to go beyond the big door and into the outside world under my own paws!

Mom leashed me and I thought, maybe just maybe this will be the day. Or, will I still have to parade up and down the driveway and around the garden? Oh how my little heart beat, to think I may finally be grown up enough to go on walks as my big sister Leafy does, is it today, is it, is it OOHHHH goodness Mom said we would. The anticipation was almost too much to bear, but as we walked down the driveway we didn't stop and turn around, instead Mom opened the big door and WOWEE I slipped straight under neath! Mom says we'll have to work on wait but hey this was my BIG MOMENT!!!!!!!! I was good though didn't pull at all.

Oh the excitement, I was outside, on my own paws and the whole B-I-G W-I-D-E W-O-R-L-D stretched out before me!

I was so excited I did turn a few circles, but only for a very short way, as I soon settled down to trotting alongside Mommy as I'd practiced and practiced so much in the garden. Yes practice does make you perfect!

I could go on forever about all the sights, smells and sounds, things like people opening and closing garage doors, checking their mail boxes and talking and ......and oh so much! Isn't the world an exciting, wonderful place? I was so keen and eager to check out everything I totally forgot Mom had treats and didn't really want any, not I may add that she needed to treat me as I was so well behaved. I'm not, she said, a 'freight train puppy'. To be honest I'm not sure what she meant, maybe that I didn't pull on my leash? Could that be the answer?

But it ended all too soon, and I didn't really want it to end at all. I could have walked for miles and miles and miles but Mommy said as I'd been such a well mannered little puppy she had an even bigger treat in store for me later that day! A bigger treat??? How could any puppy have a bigger treat?

I spent all day wondering what my big treat would be. Would it be a special Doggy Cake? Nope, I'd already had those. Could it be 'the beach"? I know she said we would go there when I was old enough. Oh the thoughts that went through my little puppy mind.

The day seemed endless! Then Mom and Daddy got in the car and we were left behind! I was puzzled! Where, what, was my big treat? It was obvious Mom was going somewhere Special and I heard her talk about the Christmas Break Up at the Irish Music Club (she's a member) but that meant she'd been gone all night!

Still I did see her load up the bait bag before she went, and our leads disappeared into the car, so maybe I was going too. No I wasn't, we were left behind with Kong's filled with peanut butter treats. Was this my big treat? I don't think so!

Then, after Daddy had been home for a while, he said come on Girls we're going to pick up your Mommy from the Club. Huh? Big treat - a car ride - I've already had heaps of those! My little heart sank, where what was my Big Treat! Mom promised and she never breaks a promise.

But it wasn't just a car ride. It was just the start of my BIG TREAT! Cuz when Mommy came out, she and daddy put on our leads and said lets go look at all the pretty lights and the colored fountains and ooooh the Christmas Tree, in the City! Yes the City!

I was so excited, but remembered my manners and happily trotted alongside Mommy, Daddy took my big sister Leafy, and a wonderous faery world opened before my eyes!

Lights and people and ducks (baby ducklings too) in the fountain. Oh it was absolutely beautiful. Cars, buses and Adelaide's one tram, all there for me to see. I was totally amazed and just couldn't be bothered with treats, there was just too much too see.

But I do have to 'fess up and say that the best part were the people! So many, all shapes and sizes and little wee people too, and guess what? They all wanted to pat a pretty, cute, well behaved little puppy! I, of course, was more than happy to oblige (noblese oblige) and first sat down then did a quick roll over for a belly rub! I just ADORE belly rubs! Mom said if rubbing a slight chubby puppy's belly brought good luck, as it does to rub a smiling Buddha's belly, then there would be a lot of people having very good luck over the Christmas Time.

I was most intrigued though by a place Mom said was a Pub. There were people all sitting outside drinking some funny smelling stuff and naturally they all ooohed and aaaahed and patted me and gave me belly rubs. But what was really exciting me was the open door! Music was coming out and peeps were standing around these funny tables with long sticks in their paws. Mom said they were playing Pool - humm humans are a bit odd when I think Pool I think swimming and water - but oh well I guess humans have a right to be a bit weird at Christmas Time! I wanted to go in and did put my two paws on the door step, no I didn't pull, just very politely stood there. I was sure the patrons wanted me to go in cuz they made gestures and smiled a lot. But Mom said it was illegal here for puppies to go into pubs (what a silly law) also I was under age and she didn't fancy being locked up for the night. So I had to bid my would be fans adieu and toddle on with Mom.

I was one very, very happy puppy! I do hope all the other puppies in the world get to go into the city and see all the sights, sounds and smells, especially at Christmas Time. For it's a time of peace, love and happiness, sharing and giving, and my Mommy, Daddy and big sister Leaf, sure did plenty of that for me. Leafy didn't mind at all that I got all the attention. BTW I think she was more interested in the ducks, except they were in water and she's highly allergic to water. She was more than happy just being there with Daddy.

I'm now a dedicated, fully fledged City Slicker, just like Mom, I LOVE the city and can hardly wait to go and visit again.

I think too I made people happy, they all loved me so much, especially my fat little tummy and my cute little bunny hops as I climbed the stone steps!

Ah I was one very happy puppy and slept all the way home!

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! And please if you can, help all those doggies who are not having such a good Christmas, the ones in Shelters. Please adopt a Shelter Dog and remember A Dog is for Life - not just for Christmas!

kassidybc

Experienced Member
THE day I've been waiting for finally arrived last Monday! After weeks of hard training, being injected by the vet and many car rides I FINALLY got to go beyond the big door and into the outside world under my own paws!

Mom leashed me and I thought, maybe just maybe this will be the day. Or, will I still have to parade up and down the driveway and around the garden? Oh how my little heart beat, to think I may finally be grown up enough to go on walks as my big sister Leafy does, is it today, is it, is it OOHHHH goodness Mom said we would. The anticipation was almost too much to bear, but as we walked down the driveway we didn't stop and turn around, instead Mom opened the big door and WOWEE I slipped straight under neath! Mom says we'll have to work on wait but hey this was my BIG MOMENT!!!!!!!! I was good though didn't pull at all.

Oh the excitement, I was outside, on my own paws and the whole B-I-G W-I-D-E W-O-R-L-D stretched out before me!

I was so excited I did turn a few circles, but only for a very short way, as I soon settled down to trotting alongside Mommy as I'd practiced and practiced so much in the garden. Yes practice does make you perfect!

I could go on forever about all the sights, smells and sounds, things like people opening and closing garage doors, checking their mail boxes and talking and ......and oh so much! Isn't the world an exciting, wonderful place? I was so keen and eager to check out everything I totally forgot Mom had treats and didn't really want any, not I may add that she needed to treat me as I was so well behaved. I'm not, she said, a 'freight train puppy'. To be honest I'm not sure what she meant, maybe that I didn't pull on my leash? Could that be the answer?

But it ended all too soon, and I didn't really want it to end at all. I could have walked for miles and miles and miles but Mommy said as I'd been such a well mannered little puppy she had an even bigger treat in store for me later that day! A bigger treat??? How could any puppy have a bigger treat?

I spent all day wondering what my big treat would be. Would it be a special Doggy Cake? Nope, I'd already had those. Could it be 'the beach"? I know she said we would go there when I was old enough. Oh the thoughts that went through my little puppy mind.

The day seemed endless! Then Mom and Daddy got in the car and we were left behind! I was puzzled! Where, what, was my big treat? It was obvious Mom was going somewhere Special and I heard her talk about the Christmas Break Up at the Irish Music Club (she's a member) but that meant she'd been gone all night!

Still I did see her load up the bait bag before she went, and our leads disappeared into the car, so maybe I was going too. No I wasn't, we were left behind with Kong's filled with peanut butter treats. Was this my big treat? I don't think so!

Then, after Daddy had been home for a while, he said come on Girls we're going to pick up your Mommy from the Club. Huh? Big treat - a car ride - I've already had heaps of those! My little heart sank, where what was my Big Treat! Mom promised and she never breaks a promise.

But it wasn't just a car ride. It was just the start of my BIG TREAT! Cuz when Mommy came out, she and daddy put on our leads and said lets go look at all the pretty lights and the colored fountains and ooooh the Christmas Tree, in the City! Yes the City!

I was so excited, but remembered my manners and happily trotted alongside Mommy, Daddy took my big sister Leafy, and a wonderous faery world opened before my eyes!

Lights and people and ducks (baby ducklings too) in the fountain. Oh it was absolutely beautiful. Cars, buses and Adelaide's one tram, all there for me to see. I was totally amazed and just couldn't be bothered with treats, there was just too much too see.

But I do have to 'fess up and say that the best part were the people! So many, all shapes and sizes and little wee people too, and guess what? They all wanted to pat a pretty, cute, well behaved little puppy! I, of course, was more than happy to oblige (noblese oblige) and first sat down then did a quick roll over for a belly rub! I just ADORE belly rubs! Mom said if rubbing a slight chubby puppy's belly brought good luck, as it does to rub a smiling Buddha's belly, then there would be a lot of people having very good luck over the Christmas Time.

I was most intrigued though by a place Mom said was a Pub. There were people all sitting outside drinking some funny smelling stuff and naturally they all ooohed and aaaahed and patted me and gave me belly rubs. But what was really exciting me was the open door! Music was coming out and peeps were standing around these funny tables with long sticks in their paws. Mom said they were playing Pool - humm humans are a bit odd when I think Pool I think swimming and water - but oh well I guess humans have a right to be a bit weird at Christmas Time! I wanted to go in and did put my two paws on the door step, no I didn't pull, just very politely stood there. I was sure the patrons wanted me to go in cuz they made gestures and smiled a lot. But Mom said it was illegal here for puppies to go into pubs (what a silly law) also I was under age and she didn't fancy being locked up for the night. So I had to bid my would be fans adieu and toddle on with Mom.

I was one very, very happy puppy! I do hope all the other puppies in the world get to go into the city and see all the sights, sounds and smells, especially at Christmas Time. For it's a time of peace, love and happiness, sharing and giving, and my Mommy, Daddy and big sister Leaf, sure did plenty of that for me. Leafy didn't mind at all that I got all the attention. BTW I think she was more interested in the ducks, except they were in water and she's highly allergic to water. She was more than happy just being there with Daddy.

I'm now a dedicated, fully fledged City Slicker, just like Mom, I LOVE the city and can hardly wait to go and visit again.

I think too I made people happy, they all loved me so much, especially my fat little tummy and my cute little bunny hops as I climbed the stone steps!

Ah I was one very happy puppy and slept all the way home!

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! And please if you can, help all those doggies who are not having such a good Christmas, the ones in Shelters. Please adopt a Shelter Dog and remember A Dog is for Life - not just for Christmas!
Merry Christmas Blossom! I'm so glad you got to have such a fun day! Your mom couldn't have possibly not taken any pictures of this important event right?? (Hint hint)

running_dog

Honored Member
Great story Blossom! Congratulations on finally passing the vaccination barrier! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. It is great that you love the big city so much, you will be able to have so many more adventures there.

Zac says to tell Leaf he chased 7 geese into the river this morning and it was GREAT fun watching them flap and scold him.

MaryK

Honored Member
Merry Christmas Blossom! I'm so glad you got to have such a fun day! Your mom couldn't have possibly not taken any pictures of this important event right?? (Hint hint)
Thank you so much Kassidy and I hope you have a Very Merry Christmas too:D Oh dear, Daddy was supposed to take photos but........he's just a human man so you will have to excuse him.......he forgot to charge the batteries:cry:

The only consolation is that Mom took some photos of me in the morning just before we went out and will put them up as soon as she has re-sized them. And yes, she DID recharge the batteries, not like Daddy. Mom warned him the batteries need replacing, so to be sure to recharge before my Big Night Out, but well.......guess I have to forgive him...one day!

MaryK

Honored Member
Great story Blossom! Congratulations on finally passing the vaccination barrier! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. It is great that you love the big city so much, you will be able to have so many more adventures there.

Zac says to tell Leaf he chased 7 geese into the river this morning and it was GREAT fun watching them flap and scold him.
Thank you Running Dog. Yes I've made Mommy and Daddy PROMISE to take me into the City again very soon. And anywhere else a little girl can now go.

Hi Zac, Leaf here. Oh boy that sure sounds like great fun chasing seven geese, I bet you had a real blast! Wish I could have chased those ducks, sure would have made everyone sit up and take notice!

Blossom Here Zac. I've never seen a goose but I think it would be HUGE fun to chase them. Wonder if Mom would approve though, I do try to be a good puppy.

running_dog

Honored Member
Hi Zac, Leaf here. Oh boy that sure sounds like great fun chasing seven geese, I bet you had a real blast! Wish I could have chased those ducks, sure would have made everyone sit up and take notice!
Leaf - Birds of a feather really aren't we Leaf? :LOL: from your blood brother Zac :cool:

Blossom Here Zac. I've never seen a goose but I think it would be HUGE fun to chase them. Wonder if Mom would approve though, I do try to be a good puppy.
Blossom - "I do try to be a good puppy" :rolleyes:, Oh dear you'll learn :D from Zac who promises you that geese and rabbits and ducks and squirrels a deer all ENJOY being chased :p

MaryK

Honored Member
Leaf - Birds of a feather really aren't we Leaf? :LOL: from your blood brother Zac :cool:
Hi Zac, yes we really are birds of a feather:LOL: I just love being your blood brother Zac:cool: We'll have to convert Ms. Goody two shoes Blossom hey:sneaky::cool:

Oh dear, am I a sad disappointment to you Zac?:cry: I guess I'll have to take more notice of Leaf and yourself if I want to be a really cool puppy. Then may I join the Brotherhood? Please pretty please I promise to chase everything I can - Puppies Honor! And Leaf said as soon as Daddy bestirs himself and takes us to the beach she'll teach me how to chase seagulls and other birds.:cool:

running_dog

Honored Member
Hi Zac, yes we really are birds of a feather:LOL: I just love being your blood brother Zac:cool: We'll have to convert Ms. Goody two shoes Blossom hey:sneaky::cool:
It is very our first mission as blood brothers!!!! The geese were in the river this morning :( so I had to make do with chasing Gus instead, that was pretty cool, I managed to bowl him over, LOVE it when I do that :sneaky::cool:.

Oh dear, am I a sad disappointment to you Zac?:cry: I guess I'll have to take more notice of Leaf and yourself if I want to be a really cool puppy. Then may I join the Brotherhood? Please pretty please I promise to chase everything I can - Puppies Honor! And Leaf said as soon as Daddy bestirs himself and takes us to the beach she'll teach me how to chase seagulls and other birds.:cool:
Seagulls are a good start. Cadet Blossom, I look forward to your fullest report. Zac

MaryK

Honored Member
It is very our first mission as blood brothers!!!! The geese were in the river this morning :( so I had to make do with chasing Gus instead, that was pretty cool, I managed to bowl him over, LOVE it when I do that :sneaky::cool:.
Aye Aye Captain Zac!!!!!!! Grand first mission. That's just soooooo cool you managed to bowl over your Brother Gus! I managed that at the beach, had to bowl over Blossom as there were no Seagulls around. Did they receive word we were on our way and fly off? Pity as I was really hoping to put in place our first mission. Doubt we'll go today as it's raining very hard. Blossom's going to write about her beach experience.

Seagulls are a good start. Cadet Blossom, I look forward to your fullest report. Zac
Oooooh I'm a Cadet:cool: ! I'll give you a full report Sir Yes Sir!!!!!. But no seagulls when we went yesterday boo hoo. And I'm a little too small to bowl over Leaf:(