Meet Mylo

southerngirl

Honored Member
Welcome. Cuteness overload!! Mylo is one of the cutest border collie and dog I have ever seen. I'm so jealous.:love:
Is Mylo a girl or boy? Are you planning on teaching Mylo tricks or doing any sports?

hannahb_patch_faith

We have already started his trick training he knows roll, spin, twist and hand target. along with the basics sit down stand and loose lead. Hes also learning to tug as much as liking his food rewards.

I plan on doing his GCDS and then progress onto agility, flyball and canine freestyle (maybe obedience).

My last collie learnt a lot of tricks so i plan on teaching his them and the handstand which was a crowd pleaser with my last collie :)

He is adorable and for now im just enjoying his puppy stages :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Mylo is adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love: Good to start on his trick training early, that teaches him to learn and think. He's doing really well for such a youngster:)(y)

LOL you've got quite a 'career' planned for Mylo, I'm sure he'll love every minute of it all!

I bet he's adorable and good for you to just be enjoying his puppy stages, they pass as you would know,all too quickly:)

MaryK

Honored Member
Wow, I am so impressed by puppies learning tricks. I am always just glad when they learn to do what I ask them to. Guess I need to raise the bar! I am seriously going to work on this. Welcome to you and your new baby. He is simply adorable!!!
So long as you keep their sessions short, most puppies have a very short focus span there are exceptions of course, they'll learn so much when really young it's just amazing. Go with the puppy though and don't try any tricks which put too much strain on young, developing bones and above all make it all fun, fun, fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

MaryK

Honored Member
Awesome!(y) Mylo is definitely going to be the new Hero! LOVED his tricks and he's just soooooooooooooooooo cute.:love: Adored the quick lick with the leave:love:

hannahb_patch_faith

Mylo has been a very naughty puppy. We went to the vets just over a week and a half ago as he was being sick after his meal which was quite worrying. Turns out he had a blockage in his intestines from eating his plastic bed and some string. He was in the vets for 4 days which seemed like a very very long time for me. He has been on lots of medication and has had lots of tlc. Just gotta try and keep him calm now for another week until he can go out again. Trouble is he is a five month old collie who is now feeling loads better, hence me struggling to keep him calm!! Just glad my boy is feeling better :)

MaryK

Honored Member
So glad Mylo is getting better now, poor darling and poor you!!!!!!!!:)

What you could do to keep him happy and use up some of that BC energy is play 'seek' in the house. Just hide something somewhere easy and get Mylo to find it, rather like nose work. The mental stimulation will use up a lot of energy, whilst not putting any strain on Mylo. It's hard isn't it keeping a youngster, especially a normally energetic one, quiet. I always dread those words "keep the patient quiet" when it's a youngster!:rolleyes::)

Mylo now you be a good boy and do NOT eat your plastic bed, no nourishment there young man, just a nasty trip to the vets!:)

mRae

Mylo has been a very naughty puppy. We went to the vets just over a week and a half ago as he was being sick after his meal which was quite worrying. Turns out he had a blockage in his intestines from eating his plastic bed and some string. He was in the vets for 4 days which seemed like a very very long time for me. He has been on lots of medication and has had lots of tlc. Just gotta try and keep him calm now for another week until he can go out again. Trouble is he is a five month old collie who is now feeling loads better, hence me struggling to keep him calm!! Just glad my boy is feeling better :)
Awe, poor Mylo. This is the hard part with puppies. Glad he is on the upswing! I had planned on making my gravel terrace out back the 'potty spot' for Lucca, who loves to chew on leaves that may arrive inside the house on shoes. Then I read that the leaves of plum trees are toxic to dogs. And of course, I have a japanese plum right near where I thought would make the best 'potty spot'. Now what? That tree also shades my little deck so I don't want to cut it down. hmmmm. There is always some kind of wrinkle in the cloth.
To support your suggestion Mary, any of the training exercises-wait, leave it, basically anything that gets the puppy thinking, helps burn up energy. Lucca now knows the phrase 'the door is closing'-I use it to get her out of a room I don't want her in, then close the door. After saying it and then closing the door and leaving her momentarily alone there a few times, she now comes running out when I say it. It is sooo cool to get their little minds engaged. I have heard one word commands are best, but for whatever reason, I have always used phrases with my pups.

MaryK

Honored Member
Awe, poor Mylo. This is the hard part with puppies. Glad he is on the upswing! I had planned on making my gravel terrace out back the 'potty spot' for Lucca, who loves to chew on leaves that may arrive inside the house on shoes. Then I read that the leaves of plum trees are toxic to dogs. And of course, I have a japanese plum right near where I thought would make the best 'potty spot'. Now what? That tree also shades my little deck so I don't want to cut it down. hmmmm. There is always some kind of wrinkle in the cloth.
To support your suggestion Mary, any of the training exercises-wait, leave it, basically anything that gets the puppy thinking, helps burn up energy. Lucca now knows the phrase 'the door is closing'-I use it to get her out of a room I don't want her in, then close the door. After saying it and then closing the door and leaving her momentarily alone there a few times, she now comes running out when I say it. It is sooo cool to get their little minds engaged. I have heard one word commands are best, but for whatever reason, I have always used phrases with my pups.
Thank you for the warning on Plum trees, didn't know that, always good to know what not to plant!

Glad I'm not the only one who uses phrases:D I do use single words for sit, etc. though Ra Kismet will sit for 'what do good boys do?" not sure how this came about but must have been when he was a puppy and not being too good.:D

I also have a few other cue phrases, and both dogs know them well. And I also use please and thank you at times:rolleyes::D Hangover from my own childhood training I guess:LOL:

mRae

Thank you for the warning on Plum trees, didn't know that, always good to know what not to plant!

Glad I'm not the only one who uses phrases:D I do use single words for sit, etc. though Ra Kismet will sit for 'what do good boys do?" not sure how this came about but must have been when he was a puppy and not being too good.:D

I also have a few other cue phrases, and both dogs know them well. And I also use please and thank you at times:rolleyes::D Hangover from my own childhood training I guess:LOL:
Ya, I try to use single words for actions I think might be part of an obedience class-that is 'puppy school'. But I love using phrases. My previous dogs knew: go the other way; this way; (used when hiking) and my favorite from when I had three dogs: 'places everybody'. :ROFLMAO: this meant they were all to sit down and look at me. fun stuff.
This is what I found on the plum-(Was researching because this pupp will chew on leaves off the floor, (or anything else at the moment) She is really teething.)

" Apple, Almond, Apricot, Peach, Wild Cherries, Plum, Balsam Pear, Prunes and similar fruit: Diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, (Stem, Seeds and Leaves) The seeds of most fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans."..
I am still not able to find out if ficus benjamina is poisonous-I have one in my office and try to keep the fallen leaves picked up to be safe. If you know I would love the answer to that one!

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you:) We got Apple, Apricot and Peach, fortunately Ra Kismet only eats the fruit - unripened at that - spits out the seeds and doesn't bother with the leaves.

Ficus Behjamina (weeping fig), it's worse with cats than with dogs, but with dogs as far as I know it can cause Dermatitis, so I'd treat it with great care!