Meet Mia!

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Yesterday we rescued a kitten from our local cat rescue. I know this is a dog forum, and she's not a dog but... I would like to introduce you to Mia!!! She is 16 weeks old, she's super smart, and loves toys and affection! We think she is a Russian Blue mix, as she pretty much exactly matches the description for the breed. V-shaped face, steely grey fur, green eyes, mauve footpads, lightly striped tail, etc. But, that's not what matters. What matters is she is the perfect little kitten! She's super sweet, loves to play and has tons of energy, but is also completely content to sit back and take a nap in the sun. :) I already love her to pieces!
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Honored Member
Mia is so cute! :love:
It's awesome that you adopted her from a cat rescue, she has a great home now!

We used to have a gray cat called Acorn. She was pure gray except for one dot of pink on one of her pads.
Sadly, she was put down at the start of this year.

Here's some pictures of her from a couple of weeks before she was put down (she was 18 years old so no where near her prime):

We sometimes wondered if she was part russian blue or british blue. Her mum was black and her dad was gray. Someone my mum knew owned the mother and the father was another neighbourhood cat.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Aww Mia is super super cute!! She is one lucky kitty to have you as a owner.
I also have a gray cat. I'm thinking she is Russian BlueX or KoratX.

kassidybc

Experienced Member

We used to have a gray cat called Acorn. She was pure gray except for one dot of pink on one of her pads.

Here's some pictures of her from a couple of weeks before she was put down (she was 18 years old so no where near her prime):

We sometimes wondered if she was part russian blue or british blue. Her mum was black and her dad was gray. Someone my mum knew owned the mother and the father was another neighbourhood cat.
Aw, Acorn was so cute! So sorry that she passed. :(

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Aww Mia is super super cute!! She is one lucky kitty to have you as a owner.
I also have a gray cat. I'm thinking she is Russian BlueX or KoratX.
Thanks! Hopefully she'll be a trick cat (or agility cat!), I already taught her how to sit. :) She isn't at all food motivated (I've offered her fresh meat as treats, and she won't even eat it), but she loves her feather toy! She's willing to work for that, so that's good! :D

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Do you guys have any opinions on declawing cats? I'm completely against it, I absolutely do not want Mia to be declawed, but my parents say she has to be declawed. They claim that because they use lasers now it doesn't hurt them near as much as it would otherwise, but after I did some research it seems that the lasers really aren't much better than traditional declawing methods. I told my parents to use the soft-cap claw cover things that you glue on to their claws, but they won't do that. They are determined to get her declawed. Just curious what you guys think about the topic.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Do you guys have any opinions on declawing cats? I'm completely against it, I absolutely do not want Mia to be declawed, but my parents say she has to be declawed. They claim that because they use lasers now it doesn't hurt them near as much as it would otherwise, but after I did some research it seems that the lasers really aren't much better than traditional declawing methods. I told my parents to use the soft-cap claw cover things that you glue on to their claws, but they won't do that. They are determined to get her declawed. Just curious what you guys think about the topic.
I really don't like it or agree with declawing cats. It can cause neurological problems and what happens if Mia slips out of the house? Life outside without claws wouldn't be easy for her to defend herself. Put together a lot of research for your parents of the negatives of declawing. Invest in a cat tree, scratch post, http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-Sticky-Paws-Deterrent/dp/B007I08FI4. Just look around on the internet of how to keep Mia from scratching up the house.
If Mia does get declawed. My cat Sophie doesn't have claws because we found her that way, I wish she had claws. She does fine without them and lives outside. She is able to catch small animals to, how? I don't have a clue.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I really don't like it or agree with declawing cats. It can cause neurological problems and what happens if Mia slips out of the house? Life outside without claws wouldn't be easy for her to defend herself. Put together a lot of research for your parents of the negatives of declawing. Invest in a cat tree, scratch post, http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-Sticky-Paws-Deterrent/dp/B007I08FI4. Just look around on the internet of how to keep Mia from scratching up the house.
If Mia does get declawed. My cat Sophie doesn't have claws because we found her that way, I wish she had claws. She does fine without them and lives outside. She is able to catch small animals to, how? I don't have a clue.
We already have a cat tree. I'll try to put together some research.

Honored Member
No one declaws cats in NZ (well, I've never met a declawed cat).

I had never even heard of it until relatively recently
(I don't know anyone who baths their cat either but it seems it isn't uncommon for Americans to do that too).

I don't really understand the point of declawing them. It seems as logical as de-teething a dog.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Mia is lovely! Lucky kitty having you rescue her. I have no experience with de-clawing but don't see that it can be positive to a cat's wellbeing.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member

Acorn is a beautiful cat too. Sorry you lost her.

running_dog

Honored Member
Mia is a gorgeous kitten!

We don't declaw cats in the UK (that's one thing we have got right though there are lots we have got wrong), it is a horrible thing to do. Can't your parents imagine having to walk and run and jump without the last joint of their toes? Of course they would manage to do that if they had to but no one would choose it just to save cutting their toenails or putting a cover on the settee.

What about Tara the cat that saved the little boy... I should think her family are glad they didn't have her declawed!

When you show your parents all the information you gather about declawing you could ask them to give you 6 months to train the cat and then review the situation to see whether they still think she should be declawed.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Mia is a gorgeous kitten!

We don't declaw cats in the UK (that's one thing we have got right though there are lots we have got wrong), it is a horrible thing to do. Can't your parents imagine having to walk and run and jump without the last joint of their toes? Of course they would manage to do that if they had to but no one would choose it just to save cutting their toenails or putting a cover on the settee.

What about Tara the cat that saved the little boy... I should think her family are glad they didn't have her declawed!

When you show your parents all the information you gather about declawing you could ask them to give you 6 months to train the cat and then review the situation to see whether they still think she should be declawed.
That's a good idea. :) I gave them the suggestion of just putting soft-paws on her, but for some reason they don't want to do that...

kassidybc

Experienced Member
A little update on Mia:
She is growing fast and is soooo sweet. She follows you everywhere, she comes when called (you can say "kitty kitty" and there's no response, but you say Mia and she comes bolting towards you out of nowhere :) ), she constantly wants to be pet and cuddled and held, she plays fetch, and she loves sleeping with you at night. We bought her all these cat toys and the only thing she plays with is the pipe cleaner she found in one of our cupboards when we were searching for art stuff for a school project. She carries it around everywhere and brings it to you in your bed at 2 am trying to get you to play with her. She's a little crazy, but she's awesome. Now that she's settled into our house, she is food motivated. So far she knows how to sit, and we have been working mostly on agility stuff, she knows how to do jumps and tunnels. She can do short courses as long as they are made up of jumps and short tunnels (and are set up in my basement ;) ). I'll post a video when I can (I'll probably wait until she learns a bit more).

Now for the really good news... I talked my parents into postponing her declaw! Only by a little while, but I convinced them to let me try soft-paws on her first, before declawing her. I don't really have time to try training her to only scratch her scratching post (but she really hasn't been scratching much that she hasn't supposed to, mostly she just scratches her scratching post), they aren't giving me much time, but hopefully the soft-paws will work! My parents have such a skewed view on declawing, because our vet seems to insist that declawing is the only way (probably just wants to make the money off of the declaw). He told them that softpaws don't work, trying to train her wont work, the only way to solve a scratching problem is to declaw. Grr.

running_dog

Honored Member
Now for the really good news... I talked my parents into postponing her declaw! Only by a little while, but I convinced them to let me try soft-paws on her first, before declawing her. I don't really have time to try training her to only scratch her scratching post (but she really hasn't been scratching much that she hasn't supposed to, mostly she just scratches her scratching post), they aren't giving me much time, but hopefully the soft-paws will work! My parents have such a skewed view on declawing, because our vet seems to insist that declawing is the only way (probably just wants to make the money off of the declaw). He told them that softpaws don't work, trying to train her wont work, the only way to solve a scratching problem is to declaw. Grr.
Well done you!

Even though you don't feel you have time to train Mia properly, if you just reward when ever you see her near/scratching her scratch post it will encourage her in the right direction.

What a horrible vet. Mia doesn't have a scratching problem and might never have one. Honestly it's like removing a baby's toenails incase they start ingrowing later :mad:.

Looking forward to seeing Mia the agility cat when you are ready to share a video :)

southerngirl

Honored Member
Mia sounds like an amazing cat. And Great for you! That's great that you convinced your parents to postpone.

That vet sounds horrid. They are suppose to be advocates for the voiceless. They are suppose to want to do what is medically best for the animal. I find it disappointing that a vet would suggest and push to declaw Mia. I would really try getting another vet.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Well done you!

Even though you don't feel you have time to train Mia properly, if you just reward when ever you see her near/scratching her scratch post it will encourage her in the right direction.

What a horrible vet. Mia doesn't have a scratching problem and might never have one. Honestly it's like removing a baby's toenails incase they start ingrowing later :mad:.

Looking forward to seeing Mia the agility cat when you are ready to share a video :)
Thanks! I'll definitely make an effort to train her (though she doesn't really need it, she doesn't even have a scratching problem! Ugh, it frustrates me).

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Mia sounds like an amazing cat. And Great for you! That's great that you convinced your parents to postpone.

That vet sounds horrid. They are suppose to be advocates for the voiceless. They are suppose to want to do what is medically best for the animal. I find it disappointing that a vet would suggest and push to declaw Mia. I would really try getting another vet.
Now that my parents calmed down, and I actually got some actual information out of them instead of them just throwing crap at me trying to convince me that declawing is perfectly fine, it sounds like it was more them than the vet. Originally, according to them they said that the vet said that softpaws don't work, we should really just get her declawed, etc. Now that they have agreed to postpone the declawing (hopefully permanently) they told me that the vet said that as long as you can get the softpaws on the cat, they usually work really well, and that if it was up to them (the vet) they would never do another declaw, but some people decide they are either getting their cat declawed or they are giving them to a shelter, and they want to keep animals out of shelters. Obviously that's quite a different story. I think my parents were just a little worked up and stretched the truth a bit.