Meet Mckenna - Our Newest Foster!

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member

A few weeks ago, I got a call from a friend of mine (Peter) in Maryland that his friend had just purchased an Irish Wolfhound pup for $1000 from a lady in NC but he had concerns.

(His friend knows nothing about dogs and when I heard he had bought a Wolfhound, I was really worried)

Below is my understanding of what happened:
Friend finds puppy on eBay. (I know, I know)
Lady says pups are 8 weeks old.
Wires $500 deposit via Western Union.
Makes arrangements to meet her a week and half later.
The lady met them in a parking lot of Petsmart.
She said he couldn't see the mother as she had already sold her.
Said this was the last pup and she was the runt.
She was accompanied by a large, intimidating man with tattoos that made Peter and friend uncomfortable to walk away from the sale and she said deposit was non refundable.
They take puppy and return to Maryland.

Peter comments puppy is very small and has a very small bark. They send me some really bad pictures and I said I couldn't really tell anything but that she looked like a Wolfhound pup...maybe the lady got the age wrong.
Contacts lady - she tells them pups are now 8 weeks old - friend says but you said that 2 weeks ago?

Back and forth with me via texts - not happy, not convinced is Wolfhound.
Tries contacting "breeder" again - this time number is disconnected and email bounces.
After 2 1/2 weeks - Peter's friend says puppy is aggressive and unmanageable and he is going to have it put down!
Peter takes puppy and contacts me very unhappy and unsure what to do with her.
We drive to meet them almost in Maryland and I pick her up. She should by this first account between 8-10 weeks old depending on which date you believe. She looks like a mini Wolfhound.

We bring her home and I notice that her teeth are TINY...they are there but teeny squeeny incisors - I am thinking she is really young maybe? She weighs 13lbs...

We then see what turns out to be her sister advertised on Craigslist - owner says she was told a lady using the same name told her she rescued 4 Wolfhound pups when the mom and 4 pups were killed...that she made a midnight run to save them - real heartstring puller. Says her pup should be 12 weeks old.

The story just keeps getting stranger and more convoluted.

So I have this adorable pup but no idea what or how old she is? Then one night I am showing a friend her teeth and I notice something - THEY ARE FALLING OUT AND HER ADULT TEETH ARE COMING IN!

This means she has to be at least 4.5 - 5 months old??
She even has her premolar 1....oh boy....
I couldn't believe it - but have been watching for the last week and yep - she is that old.

So now I have no idea what she is - obviously some type of terrier mix - Parsons Jack Russel maybe? She has been with me for almost 3 weeks and has put on 4 lbs so I am guessing she will be 25lbs or so as an adult...

Hmmmmmmm - strange but true....LOL...some Wolfhound!

Either way she is a sweetie and if you know of anyone wanting to adopt a truly adorable little girl - let me know!

MaryK

Honored Member
She sure is adorable by certainly NOT an Irish Wolfhound. Have had a lot to do with those dogs and she's waaaaaaaay to tiny to be an Irish Wolfhound. Looks like a mini Wolfhound. I think your guess as to her 'breed' is right.

She sure is around 4.5 - 5 months old.

What a story does sound like the woman is obtaining puppies in some way, probably less than legal, by the sound of things:mad:

Is she showing any signs of the alleged aggression? She looks totally ADORABLE in her pics:love: I'd adopt her if I lived closer, I'm in LOVE:love:

Dogster

Honored Member
What a story!!! Wow..... I can't believe she's 4-5 months old!!! She looks like a young puppy!!! She's soo darn CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!:love::love: I LOVE HER!!!!!:love:

CONGRATS on the new addition!!!!! Haven't heard from you for a while, I guess you've been busy. I've missed you around here...:( Hope to hear back from you soon!!!!:D

Dioritt

I'm wondering whether she might be a cross between a Border Terrier and a Papillon. I know that sounds pretty random but I'm thinking of how wide she is between the eyes, just like a Border Terrier, and they get to around 8-11kgs which would be about right. Why Papillon? The ears standing up, and the black and white 'grizzle' (grizzle being a BT colour). I could be completely off the mark but that's my guess, anyway. Cute she is, whatever she is, although definitely not a Wolfhound :)

People like the woman who sold her make me very angry. Sadly, I don't think this kind of thing will ever stop.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Wow, what a story!! So, what's the deal with the "aggressive and unmanageable"? Was it just her being a puppy? :confused::oops: She sure is cute!! She does look like maybe some Border Terrier ... and who in the heck knows? Lisa, you're an angel for taking her in and giving her a good start. Obviously where she was had to be less than ideal - that woman obviously only cared about the $$ and is selling dogs for a living, no thought to them at all. I don't even want to think about where she gets them, we'd probably rather not know (or be able to handle it). :mad:

Mutt

Experienced Member
I agree, what a story. Sad that people think so lighthearted about living creatures...
BUT she is adorable :love: and thankfully at a good place now! Love to see how this girl turns out, so keep us posted ;). As for the breed, I think you just have a pure a-little-bit-of-everything terrier
Is she going to stay with you untill she is stable and 'resocialized' or do you just wait untill the right person for her comes along? (just out of curiousity ;) I think it's great that you foster (this) dog(s))

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
Is she showing any signs of the alleged aggression?
Not really - she has typical terrier telling off skills - if she gets playing too rough she will get louder and rougher but no actual aggression.

So, what's the deal with the "aggressive and unmanageable"? Was it just her being a puppy? :confused::oops:
She is just being a pup - she jumps up, she gets the zoomies, she had NO manners at all, she isn't housebroken and she plays hard...but I can see how an inexperienced dog owner could have freaked out. She crates beautifully now but I think she was ripping his house to shreds...LOL

Is she going to stay with you until she is stable and 'resocialized' or do you just wait until the right person for her comes along? (just out of curiousity ;) I think it's great that you foster (this) dog(s))
So in her case she is stable and social - she plays well with all the dogs, has no food or resource issues, crates well and is learning manners and housetraining...so in her case she is ready to go. Other dogs I have fostered have been with me until they have gained confidence, put on the right weight, overcome trauma or whatever else may needed for them to be placed in the right home.

Her sister was just relisted on Craigslist last night:

So now the two girls are available....

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Adorable... don't you just want some people banned from EVER being able to have, never mind sell, animals! I would love to have them if only I were closer...

Mutt

Experienced Member
Great to hear that she is doing so well and hopefully the right person will come along for her (and her sister)

MaryK

Honored Member
I want one too Dogster:love::love: Totally in love:love::love::love: She sounds just crazy enough to make a grand playmate for Ra Kismet though LOL Zeus may just pack his bags and head off into the wild unknown -OMD another pup what's mom thinking off?

Too far away though, would cost the earth and then she'd have to go into quarantine for ages, just at the 'wrong' age.:(

Dlilly

Honored Member
WOW, what a story!! I'm glad to hear she is doing well, and is social! She is such a cutie!! :love:

You can Flag the Ads the 'Breeder' is making on Craigslist. I'm not sure if that would help though…. :(

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
I never saw the ad - I only became involved after they had already picked her up.

We just did some training this morning - she is feisty and somewhat focused but I have to say as adorable as she is, she is a medium level learner. But it'll come with practice!

mRae

That is an amazing story. One thing is certain, that pup got lucky. She could have had a very bad ending. Look how calm she looks.......that is a tribute to steady handling and consistency. Hope you get an awesome furever home for her.