Lungs Cancer

Mutt

Experienced Member
i'm sorry to hear your dog has cancer :(
I hope for the best for you two.
It's a nasty desease :(

To answer your questions:
I would ask your vet about the treatment plan.
I think what should be done is that the dog has no discomfort (pain, shortness of breath etc.). I don't know how advanced the cancer is? (has it spread?). There should be looked at the best treatment on the longterm, I can't tell you what that is (I'm not a vet and don't know your dog): but I guess you should think in terms of surgery and radiation.
Again ask your vet!

Symptoms:
Symptoms of lung cancer are coughing (which may also produce phlegm or blood), exercise intolerance (lethargy), weight loss or loss of appetite, and other respiratory signs
such as trouble breathing or shortness of breath.

The most common abnormal clinical sign reported in dogs with lung cancer is chronic cough. Usually this is a non-productive cough, which means the dog is not coughing up
fluid or mucus. Occasionally pets will cough up small amounts of blood or phlegm. If the tumor is large and is causing compression of the trachea or a major airway, the
animal may experience difficulty breathing or dyspnea. Other causes of dyspnea associated with lung cancer include fluid accumulation around the lungs, known as pleural
effusion, and widespread cancerous involvement of the lungs, leaving little normal lung tissue.

The clinical signs can also be vague and not specific to the respiratory tract. Approximately 25 percent of pets with lung cancer may not show any clinical signs of illness at
all. Occasionally dogs with lung cancer will limp or show signs of lameness. This can occur because of spread of tumor to the bones or due to a secondary effect that the
tumor has on bone growth. The latter condition results in excess bone growth and swelling of the limbs, and is referred to as hypertrophic osteopathy. Several other
conditions may cause similar clinical signs to those seen in animals with lung cancer which include heart failure, pneumonia, metastatic cancer, heartworm infection, fungal
infection, lungworms, or collapsing trachea.
source: http://www.caninecancer.com/lung.html