Lousy Trainer

Ina

Hi everyone.

Now that I started to film our training sessions I realised just how lousy I am <snicker>

My dog is 100% focused on hand signals (which I only noticed after watching the recording) and whilst I am grabbing new food out of the pouch he is spinning and turning like mad. Of course it's because I am so full of movement with my hands. Trying to get him weaving through my legs is the worst. Doggie follows every movement of my hand, so whilst I am trying to get my hand behind my body to make him walk through Smokey is jumping all over not knowing what the heck I am trying to do. It's just so very funny :)

Training sessions have improved dramatically since our first recording. I can only recommend to everyone to watch yourself at training once if you haven't done so. I noticed that I am too slow with clicks, too clumsy with treats, use too many handsignals and much more.
So - where is a training class for trainers - I should surely attend one <giggle>

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol. ^^ To improve the timing of your clicker, you can try tossing a tennis ball in the air and clicking every time it reaches its highest point. There are a couple of other games to improve the timing of your clicking; I'm drawing a blank right now though.
When you're signaling Smokey to go around you, slow down. You can speed up later, but for now he needs you to go slower. When I'm teaching weave, I use two different hands so I'M clearer. And I teach each step separately. In other words, I'll work on stepping with my right foot with the dog coming through from the left side, using my right hand so I'm luring them through. Work on that until they're going through beautifully. At first just click for them coming to your hand and just being right under you. Then slowly increase the criteria until they have to completely pass through your legs, and finish out the lure by bringing them around your front leg(the beginning of the next step). When they are good with that, try the other side. Same steps. Then practice both, just two steps at a time. More steps as they improve, and eventually you'll fade your hand movements.
I teach figure 8s AFTER they know the weave. Once they know the weave, you'll take smaller and smaller steps until you're literally standing in place and just lifting left leg, right leg, left leg, right leg, etc. Then fade it more by just leaning and/or bending your knees. Gradually fade more until you're barely moving or not moving at all and just signaling.

Hope that helps. :) Mainly slooooow yourself down. The fast hand signals will come later, but as for Smokey's level in this video, I think he needs you to go a lot slower. Lol, and you aren't too terrible--Smokey's getting it! :)

Ina

Thanks Tx -, no more coffee before training ..hihi.. Lucky that I have such a clever dog !

Off I go to clicker train the trainer :D and I will keep on recording MYSELF until I get it right.

sara

Staff member
Or bounce a ball on the floor and click when it hits the floor. something else I heard is about watching TV and clicking evertime you see... umm, I cant remember! anything would work, I would think, as long as it's a common thing to see on tv! LOL

Or, as you have kids, try clicker training a kid to do something (like pick up an object) without saying anything... could be a fun game!

I noticed things I do wrong myself, when recording training sessions... it's a great eye opener!

mewzard

Experienced Member
Oh gosh yes! I notice often that my voice command isn't clear enough. Or i click too early, often assuming that she's going to do it right as she seems to be.
Most of the time i'm saying to myself "slow down! and click the little increases":LOL:

Ina

I had so much fun today playing clicker training with my kids today. I wrote down a specific behaviour on a piece of paper and one of the kids had to pretend to be a dog. I then clicked when the kid showed the behaviour. We all took turns using the clicker - it was hilarious :ROFLMAO: So much fun and my clicker timing has improved 200 % :)

If you have kids at home, give it a try. All of a sudden the whole family knows that the dog is actually cleverer than any of us ;)

sara

Staff member
I had so much fun today playing clicker training with my kids today. I wrote down a specific behaviour on a piece of paper and one of the kids had to pretend to be a dog. I then clicked when the kid showed the behaviour. We all took turns using the clicker - it was hilarious :ROFLMAO: So much fun and my clicker timing has improved 200 % :)

If you have kids at home, give it a try. All of a sudden the whole family knows that the dog is actually cleverer than any of us ;)
LOL I knew you'd have fun with that one! I know a trainer who does their first class without dogs, and this is one of the games she does with her dogless clients. they always have a blast, and it really helps peopl learn the process of clicker training!