Kong Frisbee!

Evie

Experienced Member
Well I bought a KONG frisbee yesterday and Evie just LOVES it. Usually she won't fetch things, but the frisbee makes it back to us (or close to us) 95% of the time which is impressive for Evie. It's made out of that lovely hard rubber stuff like the normal Kong toys.

Now we've just got to wait for her to become slightly more coordinated so she can catch it a little better lol.

Anneke

Honored Member
She really likes the frisbee:D
Just a little advice: try to throw the frisbee low and straight. That way it will be easier for her to catch it and she won't have to jump so high. The impact of the landing is not very good for her young bones and muscles, although it looks spectacular. But a lot of dogs get injured that way.
Another thing is: have her circle around you before you throw the frisbee. That way she can build up speed to catch it and she won't have to make sharp turns(also not so good for young bones and muscles) Throw the frisbee when she is next to you or a little ahead.

To get her to catch better, you can have her in front of you and just throw the frisbee at her. It takes a little practise to learn how to catch a frisbee.

Evie

Experienced Member

We've been practising having her just infront of us so that she can learn to catch it better, and she's already getting better at it. And yeah, I know too much jumping, sharp turns, long distance running.... basically anything that's likely to kill some of her energy ... isnt good for her. I need to work on my frisbee throwing skills, because I'm currently not good enough to be able to throw it low and straight lol. But i'll practise too!

Completely off topic, but any ideas on some low impact energy killing activities we can do? She's now at the stage where we can wear her out, she'll sleep for an hour if we're lucky, then we're back at square one. Crazy puppy with too much energy.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
<--------jealous...what i wouldn't give for my dog to love frisbee! He only chases 'real' frisbees if i sneak them in while he chases those cardboard circles that are under pizzas.
and only three (3) times, unless i play something else in between 3rd toss and 4th toss.:(

LOOKS LIKE SO MUCH FUN!!! WHAT A HAPPY DOG!!

As a person who once could call her dog off of any prey, any time, any where, :D
but now can NOT,:cry:
cuz my dog chased some geese into a river:rolleyes: .....you *might* want to think it over if you really want your dog chasing those ducks...i'm just saying.
THAT is one moment i'd reeeally like to have back, :(is that moment he went chasing geese cuz i did not call him back to me. I'd so so love a "re-do" of that day....
At the time, i had no idea the chase-monster i was creating. :eek: He has never ever been the same,:(
and from that moment on, i could no longer call him off of prey. (but, i COULD prior to that one chase)

once a dog decides chasing prey is great fun and thinks this pleases his owners,O_o
well, your off-leash stuff can become restricted to areas where no prey are around. Your dog might be different than mine, and on this film, your dog was chasing the ducks on your cue, but, you still might want to consider if encouraging Evie going after prey is reeeeally something you want to encourage
or not.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//Completely off topic, but any ideas on some low impact energy killing activities we can do? //

Frisbee, or fetch, done on level ground, with level tosses, is low impact for growing dogs, imo,
if high jumps and frequent sharp turns are avoided.
Anneke's advice was great, i thought.

Anneke

Honored Member
It's no problem for a young dog to go full speed, chasing something(i mean a toy, ofcourse;)) So chasing a ball or a low frisbee is ok.
Often it's the uncontrolled jumping up to catch a ball/toy/frisbee that causes injuries.
I used to roll the fribee on it's side(so called rollers, used to teach any dog to chase a frisbee)
I think you can do this with the Kong frisbee too, it's harder with the fabric frisbee.

I know all about the high energy levels of a young dog...:D;)
I go on walk for an hour, have swim, play some fetch, do some tricks, we go home, she sleeps for about half an hour and is ready to go do it all again, while I'm still tired from the last round:ROFLMAO:

Evie

Experienced Member
Yeah I tried to roll the frisbee along the ground but because it's rubber it doesnt really work.... and if i play with her with a ball or any other toy the game changes very quickly from 'fetch' to 'chasey'. In other words i go from simply having to throw the toy to having to chase her for the toy (she will always drop the item on command but she LOVES being chased.) Great exercise for me, but I get tired before she even gets a raised heart rate

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I'm way behind, just getting caught up on reading threads - what a gorgeous place you've got to play with your dog!!! I'm jealous!!! :rolleyes::cool: You guys really look like you're having fun. Reading your post brought back so many memories and sure makes me appreciate my 6-1/2 and 7-1/2 yr old dogs!! There were days I didn't think I'd live thru it, they just have sooooo much energy those first few years. Thankfully, they do slow down at some point. Just hang on to that thought. :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

MaryK

Honored Member
Well I bought a KONG frisbee yesterday and Evie just LOVES it. Usually she won't fetch things, but the frisbee makes it back to us (or close to us) 95% of the time which is impressive for Evie. It's made out of that lovely hard rubber stuff like the normal Kong toys.

Now we've just got to wait for her to become slightly more coordinated so she can catch it a little better lol.

:ROFLMAO: Would rather watch the videos on this forum than t.v. Evie is just adorable:D Shares the same love of 'duck herding' as I think Ra Kismet would, he's not been allowed yet to try:D

MaryK

Honored Member
Must get one:) Now I wonder if that would work with Zeus (not that I mind him not being into fetch now he's an older dog, his sister EXCELLED at fetch/find/ball play). :ROFLMAO: Zeus' mind goes like this when you throw a ball for fetch "HEY MOM YOU THRU IT SO YOU GO PICK IT UP" or 'I'LL GO TO THE BALL BUT THEN I'LL CHEW IT UP". He still chews up balls:ROFLMAO: even in his mature years:ROFLMAO:

raymond upton

We've been practising having her just infront of us so that she can learn to catch it better, and she's already getting better at it. And yeah, I know too much jumping, sharp turns, long distance running.... basically anything that's likely to kill some of her energy ... isnt good for her. I need to work on my frisbee throwing skills, because I'm currently not good enough to be able to throw it low and straight lol. But i'll practise too!

Completely off topic, but any ideas on some low impact energy killing activities we can do? She's now at the stage where we can wear her out, she'll sleep for an hour if we're lucky, then we're back at square one. Crazy puppy with too much energy.
i bought one of those kong frisbees and was suprised to find out it flies like a brick not the best frisbee for throwing and catching kong makes a black one that is floppy rubber that flies alot better iv'e found an even better one is actually a disc golf disc called the blowfly they're super durable and fly extremely well but you'd probably have to order it off the web theyre about 10-15 bucks cute dog by the way

madeleine

Experienced Member
Dazzle ruend her kong frisbee. We have now the ring from the end and the round inner frisbee.
It might have been mine fault though, we used as a tug game for reward when training agility.
Now it's just us and the ring, that kong part still does a great job hihi

Mutt

Experienced Member
Gotta love her enthousiasm.
Great advice from Anneke!
Off topic but very weird for some reason I'm seeing MaryK her avatar in stead of evie's? MaryK and the rest has their own, is my computer messing this up :S

MaryK

Honored Member
Evie is so full of energy, wish I had that much!!!!!!!

Great Advice Anneke, I've just got Ra Kismet a soft frisbee, he'll chase but then tries to 'kill it' will throw it lower in future and see if this helps. Plus I am very restricted space wise.

Mutt, must be your computer, just had a look and all avatars are in their right position. Maybe you saw where I replied to Evie and have her video in my reply?