Kilo- The Siberian Husky

freedomdreams

So when I first joined I had introduced my dogs and I have since been an inactive member since last year- I absolutely loved this forum more than any other forum I have attended in regards to dogs. So I decided to come back, due to some circumstances when I had moved- my dad had kept my dogs; which was beyond my control in how our personal issues were handled. I have come back today, sadly not with having updates on the dogs which I started here with- but a new beginning.

I introduce to you- Kilo, my new Siberian Husky puppy. He will be coming home in two weeks time (February 16th) once my boyfriend and myself move to our new house and have everything settled.

This all started with my boyfriend wanting to get a Siberian Husky- which was a breed that i liked, but wasn't overly fond of as I grew up with bully breeds. It would be the first dog he's ever had as apparently he never used to like animals (I told him he was lucky that he did now) anyways, we went to go look at puppies for himself, and he chose a nice black with white point male, who is more shy, timid, but dominant- I did precaution him on this as I feel as his first dog it may be a bit more independant and harder to train- but he was pretty adament that was the dog he wanted.

While my boyfriend was officially making up his mind, I was playing with all the puppies. I did not go there intending to even fall in love with a dog- I was stubborn that I would get my certified dog, preferably my Standard Poodle (which I had to compromise) and be able to show him, unfortunetly this cute little puppy who was the runt of both litters was pulling at my heart strings- I would be standing up and he would sit at my feet, look up at me and he would give me the cutest little puppy whine. I think what officially won me over was when he put his two paws on my knees, rolled over, and stood staring at me wanting belly rubs.

so we.. more I took a few days to really consider it, as my boyfriend and I will already have to care for his puppy, but we also live with roommates and rent a house, so I spoke with everyone and got the okay. Yesterday we made the drive back and I officially put my deposit on him.

now as I am at work.. I can't really post photos.. but I will once I have the chance too, I know that threads are never complete without pictures.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Welcome back. I'm sorry you weren't allowed to keep any of your dogs, that must be hard.
It sound like love at first site. Can't wait to see pics.

freedomdreams

aww thanks everyone :) ! I'm awaiting for his tag to come in the mail righhht now- should be here soon! I'm definitely counting down the days. You know, I am definitely nervous- I always worry about the future and I know my family don't think at this point I should get a dog.. But I feel like i'm making the right decision, I think he chose me.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
He is very cute, no doubt about it! I have heard that Huskies can be a challenge to train, so you will have to be very consistent and patient. Jean Cote has done a great job with Onyx, so you can do it too.

freedomdreams

I'm not too concerned, as I do have alot of experience with harder to handle dogs- but I've never personally owned a Husky so it will be a different experience. I'm extremely excited about it though. I do hope though that I can make a large impact with positive training and definitely go through a ton of mile stones :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Welcome back and so glad things are working out for you:) He's adorable:love: Too cute for words. You'll be fine, you've had a ton of experience and this forum:D

freedomdreams

Welcome back and so glad things are working out for you:) He's adorable:love: Too cute for words. You'll be fine, you've had a ton of experience and this forum:D
oh MaryK! I'm so happy to see you back :) I was wondering where you disappeared to as you were very active as a member when I first joined on the forum!

Thank you so much! My boyfriend is starting a new job on Friday- but he is waiting for his taxes so we aren't too positive if my boyfriend will be able to get his puppy right away on the 16th but I have everything set to pick up Kilo then- I hope the breeder will understand.. and it may be easier to manuever with just one puppy at the moment- either way we will figure it out :) but it's soon!

MaryK

Honored Member
oh MaryK! I'm so happy to see you back :) I was wondering where you disappeared to as you were very active as a member when I first joined on the forum!

Thank you so much! My boyfriend is starting a new job on Friday- but he is waiting for his taxes so we aren't too positive if my boyfriend will be able to get his puppy right away on the 16th but I have everything set to pick up Kilo then- I hope the breeder will understand.. and it may be easier to manuever with just one puppy at the moment- either way we will figure it out :) but it's soon!
Thank you, missed everyone too!

Could be easier getting just one puppy at a time, I know, with Zeus I had his sister as well and LOL it was a case of double the love but also double the trouble:D:rolleyes:.

I'm sure the breeder will understand, feeling so excited for you, nothing like waiting the arrival of a new puppy time does drag so!:D

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I totally missed the part about you and your boyfriend EACH getting a puppy! How exciting! Keep us posted on how things go, please.

freedomdreams

Definitely, I'm sure one week or so wouldn't hurt, at least I hope. It definitely is, the darnest thing is that they learn off of eachother- so when one does something.. so does the other. I just have my fingers crossed that I will get sleep since I do work midnight shifts. :rolleyes: at worst.. I'm sure it won't be hard getting them to cuddle and sleep with me.

time is dragging by.... extremely slow, it's agony! But I'm really stressed now with the time crunch and all of the things that we need to do before they get here, and Brodys_mom .. haha yes we are both getting a puppy each. I definitely will, i'm pretty positive i'll be needing help since I haven't owned an actual puppy for a number of years.

MaryK

Honored Member
Definitely, I'm sure one week or so wouldn't hurt, at least I hope. It definitely is, the darnest thing is that they learn off of eachother- so when one does something.. so does the other. I just have my fingers crossed that I will get sleep since I do work midnight shifts. :rolleyes: at worst.. I'm sure it won't be hard getting them to cuddle and sleep with me.

time is dragging by.... extremely slow, it's agony! But I'm really stressed now with the time crunch and all of the things that we need to do before they get here, and Brodys_mom .. haha yes we are both getting a puppy each. I definitely will, i'm pretty positive i'll be needing help since I haven't owned an actual puppy for a number of years.
LOL been there with two litter mates! Zeus and my late girl Tiger Lily were litter mates and they do learn off each other that's for sure.

With that pair, Zeus was the 'brawn' and Tiger Lily the 'brain' - she was right into lateral thinking you could actually see her thinking out a way around something usual involved in puppy naughtiness.

They were like two dogs, one brain, and moved in perfect unison with each other, fascinating to watch. But totally and completely different personalities!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zeus was a fidget butt, still is, and Tiger Lily would just curl up in her basket, ignoring her bro's shennigans, and go to sleep. Zeus hated agility Tiger Lily loved it and excelled in that sport. Zeus took a scientific interest in balls i.e. chewed them through to discover what made them bounce, Tiger Lily was the ball catching, finding well ball anything Queen. I could go on but LOL I won't.

I do think though that having the two they will be, from what I found, company for each and less demanding on you playing with them. Though of course they still love to have a play with Mom and Dad, but tend to stay bonded together.

Which leads me to one very important point when you've got litter mates, Separation Anxiety Syndrome. It's best avoided before it becomes a problem (not saying it will but there's a higher risk with litter mates than dogs from separate litters/backgrounds).

Make sure when they're old enough to go for walks that sometimes you take one out alone and then the other one. What I did was break the week up. Some days I would walk them together, other days separately, also as Tiger Lily loved agility and Zeus didn't (after they turned a year of course) I would either 'hitch' Zeus somewhere or put him in the car, so Tiger Lily did agility classes alone.

Most good Dog Schools will separate them when they go to class, because of the SGS. As one puppy will be your boyfriends and the other one your baby, this shouldn't prove a problem. It's trickier when you're the only one taking both puppies to school believe me - been there done that - I did a LOT of walking every Saturday morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another trick with youngsters, re sleeping at night is to put a ticking clock (if you can get one now a days) well wrapped in their basket. It mimics their Mom's heartbeat, and it does work - provided you don't have the Mother of all fidget butts like Zeus!:rolleyes:

Above all don't stress, puppies quickly pick up on that, and ENJOY having two little puppies around. Yes you're gonna be frustrated at times, and yes it can mean double trouble at times, but hey it's also double the LOVE BUG and that's the 'pay off'. Well worth all the little puppy troubles!

You'll be fine, it all comes back to you and it's mostly common sense. Start with them the way you want them to behave when they're all grown up, don't fall into the trap (my partner is good at this) of thinking it's fine 'they're just babies' especially with something which isn't quite so fine when they're fully grown - if not fully matured!:D:rolleyes:

And we're all here for you! Time will pass, albeit it slowly, waiting for your babies to arrive, but it will pass and next thing you know you'll be in Puppy Land, lovely place to be - ENJOY!:love::D

freedomdreams

I just spent about a good 20 minutes about how the past few days have been with them- but silly me as I went to go open a tab for my photobucket for photos, I closed my tab.

Anyways- we brought them home on Sunday, and it has been definitely very tiring, but so wonderful at the same time. My boyfriend has been so wonderful through it all, I couldn't be happier about it because I don't know what I would do without him. Sunday when the puppies came and Monday he had to work- while it was my day's off, so I was on puppy duty by myself. Thankfully when he came home he did take over, and did sleep ever feel wonderful when I did manage to get it! Both of the puppies are settling in swimmingly, We've got them mostly papertrained- where they do still miss at times.. and Loki has already learned that the place to go do his business is outside- while Kilo still takes a long time to do his business and prefers using the newspaper but he's getting there slowly.

They've already managed to cause so much mischief but have become a household attraction to our roommates, friends, and family. Kilo is super outgoing, playful, pretty possessive with sharing his stuff- If Loki takes a toy he will go charging at him, take the toy away and pile them all around him, and we are working on having them share the things (or just growl about in general) that they don't like too- i.e water bowl, toys.

Loki when he first came was so depressed, shy and unsure but over the past few days of coming he has really grown to us, has started understanding that we aren't bad and is craving our attention, he likes to generally grab the newspaper and drag it everywhere..ripping it apart and grabbing things he shouldn't be- but otherwise he is more than content to just lay down and enjoy attention now. They both learned how to sit, can go up and down the stairs... sometimes with encouragement- but it feels like we have made leaps and bounds in just two and a half days.

We have spoken about the potential for seperation anxiety and it is something that we definitely will need to work on as right now, it is an issue as far as I am aware and makes it very hard when it is just one of us taking care of the puppes- and I know we both want to do stuff individually at times. So i'm hoping it is something we can get sorted out as soon as we possibly can- we've done a bit of stuff but of course there has been so much going on, we don't want to overload them too fast, especially since they've already been experiencing SO many new things since we brought them home.

Now I just have to think about how much sleep I won't be getting once i'm home this morning.

Here are photos :)

Loki-

Kilo

freedomdreams

and here are more photos of our drive home (mostly of Loki as my boyfriend wasn't with his mom and I when we went to go pick them up)

**edit:

In regards to the house training issue for Kilo- what I think I will do is start introducing the clicker that way he gets a better understanding of what he is being asked of him, and also starting to take away the paper towels until he no longer needs any. I've also already left his droppings from previous times that way he will start understanding it's where he needs to goto the bathroom... and I think with these things he will start to understand that inside is not the place for him to goto the bathroom. I have my fingers crossed.