Keeping Your Canine Fit During The Winter

madeleine

Experienced Member
cute!!!!

I just do the tricks I'm planning to do anyway. If the trick need to be on a soft ground (like jumping of something like that) we just practice in the garden. I didn't find any weathery problems yet during training..

madeleine

Experienced Member
Well that's not really true what i said above.. This doesnt count for our agility training which is sadly canselled :-(

MaryK

Honored Member
Great video!:love:(y) Lily is just so cute!!!!!!!!:love:

We're actually the opposite, trying to stay cool and trick!

Ra Kismet is the same Devon, makes me go for a walk whatever the weather, though at present we do go after dark, as he's like me hates the heat.

sara

Staff member
Well, I do alot more trick training when it's cold (and BOY has it been cold so far this year!!! We've had a fair amount of -15C to -20C temps and already have more than a foot of snow on the ground.... winter hit early and hard this year) Oliver's fine going out in the cold, as long as he's wearing his booties, but Mouse and Boo only go out for potty breaks when it's this cold.

Maura

Now that my border collie has arthritis in one hip we take it easy. He herded his last sheep a couple of months ago when they were loaded up for freezer camp. The foster Boston terriers get walk every morning on a 20' lead. We have stairs, and that helps as well.

MaryK

Honored Member
Well, I do alot more trick training when it's cold (and BOY has it been cold so far this year!!! We've had a fair amount of -15C to -20C temps and already have more than a foot of snow on the ground.... winter hit early and hard this year) Oliver's fine going out in the cold, as long as he's wearing his booties, but Mouse and Boo only go out for potty breaks when it's this cold.
I love the snow, wish I was there. LOL Zeus would have to be lured out somehow, even food may not be enough, just for a potty break!:eek: Ra Kismet would be like Oliver fine going out in the cold and I think he just may appreciate a coat and booties, though it would be interesting at first attempting to get him to wear them, he's a bit anti coats and booties um he's never tried those.

Dogster

Honored Member
Great video!!!!:D To keep Shivon fit in the winter, I usually just practice Shivon's tricks. We also go to agility class (indoor facility)

Haha, the preparation for walks during the winter is extensive. Shivon has 2 sweaters and 2 coats, that we mix and match, depending on the weather.:LOL:She turns into a statue as soon as I put a coat on her, LOL. She also has booties and cream for her paw pads (snow and ice=salt on the roads and sidewalks)

Well, I do alot more trick training when it's cold ( and BOY has it been cold so far this year!!! We've had a fair amount of -15C to -20C temps and already have more than a foot of snow on the ground.... winter hit early and hard this year) Oliver's fine going out in the cold, as long as he's wearing his booties, but Mouse and Boo only go out for potty breaks when it's this cold.
Sara, I'm sooo jealous!!!! We've been waiting for snow since November, and we haven't had any.:(:( I guess I need to go to Alberta!!:D

sara

Staff member
Sara, I'm sooo jealous!!!! We've been waiting for snow since November, and we haven't had any.:(:( I guess I need to go to Alberta!!:D
Well, we dont usually get snow this early either, at least snow that lasts. We have only had a couple of days where it's gotten close to the freezing mark since mid october! it's been VERY cold!!! I guess that's what we get for getting the warmest winter EVER last year LOL

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Lil is so cute! And Dazzle too, haha.

Our problem is in the summer. Winter is okay, walking with cold is okay. It gets you moving. What we (both) don't tolerate is summer heat (and being in another city in which you get robbed if you are walking alone after 6 pm).

Gordykins

Experienced Member
Gordy and I play hide and seek A LOT in the winter. I just ask him to stay in a room while I hide in another. He loves it... and I love when I hear him get the zoomies when I say he can come find me! :) We also do a lot of puzzle activities, and things that will make him use his nose!

There are indoor swimming pools in our area that I have started to take him to since it is cold, and swimming is one of his favorite things, so we have a blast!!! Also, it is good for him now that our vet suspects that he has hip dysplasia, I have just been making sure he uses the ramps to get in and out rather than jumping in, so that we can save stress to his joints.

For a lab, Gordy is very easily contented and exceptionally calm. He doesn't like cold weather walks, and is just happy to curl up next to me and settle in for the night once I get home from work. He's such a good boy :)