K9 Drill Team

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
LOVED IT!!
LOVED THAT BOUNCING DOG!!!:ROFLMAO:

This type of heelwork is really easy to teach, you won't believe me til you try it, it's NOT HARD at all! Or, at least, i didn't think so, took about a week,:eek:
and then to tighten up precision, for twirls, backwards, left and right turns, S-shapes, etc, a few more weeks to totally nail all the turns like a razor, and so much FUN to teach this!! DO GIVE IT A WHIRL, YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED HOW EASY IT IS!!! (i know i was! i was stunned :eek: it was that easy!! but i figured, what do i have to lose? )
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/easy-cheesy-way-to-teach-heelwork.4339/page-2

LOved the human agility tunnel, how clever!! Never saw that before!! I bet they have such a blast all training together!!

Dogster

Honored Member
That is cool!!!! Impressive!!!! LOL, bouncing dog!!!!:ROFLMAO:
Shivon just knows back up with me in between my legs, plus right side and left side heel, straight, with no distractions, LOL:ROFLMAO: We need to work more on heelwork.
I liked the human dog tunnel, especially when the largest dog was going through!!!!:LOL:

Honored Member
Heel work is harder to teach a small dog, especially if you want it really close.
When we work on it in obedience class everyone laughs because I have to bend/crouch to reach Holly's head :cautious: (we use hand target to teach it), so I was impressed with the little dog.

The trainer always says to me "you're going to love this one" whenever she is going to get us to do something she knows I will have to bend so much for. It's a bit of a joke now because Holly is so short compared to all the other dogs in class (labs, pointer, and medium sized mutts).
One of the other dog owners actually asked if it's possible to teach a small dog to heel the first time we tried it O_o

But Holly is smart and is the best in the class at most things (even her "stays" are at least as good as the other dogs and that used to be her weak point)

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Such a fun video, thanks for sharing it! And I loved that bouncing dog too - he was too funny! :LOL: The heelwork was great, and I loved the tunnel. Ok, so now we need to get back to work here, that made me feel like we've been slacking. I think I'll make the dogs watch that...... :ROFLMAO:

Anneke

Honored Member
I expected something completely different from that title:ROFLMAO:
Loved it!
And heelwork in a team like that is pretty hard, I can tell you!
In Cooper's first and second year I was in my dogschool's demo team and we used to do drills like that too. Took a LOT of practise!! Because you are really close to each other, a lot of speed changes, you have to keep an eye on where you are in the line AND keep your dog focused...
It was fun though!
We don't have that obedience demo team anymore. Now we have a frisbee and agility demo team.
But I would love to do demo's like that again!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//(we use hand target to teach it),//

there IS an easier way, :D which *might* be easier, no bending at all:
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/easy-cheesy-way-to-teach-heelwork.4339/page-2
Worth a try, but, i'd bet by now, you've already conquered this, but, for any other owners of short or small dogs, my "Easy Cheesy" way requires zero bending (except to give rewards, i guess you'd have to bend to reward the dog periodically, TIP, for dogs who are "forging" reward dog BEHIND your knee)
Using that Easy Cheesy method, i was able to easily teach speed changes, stops, turns,
(TIP: practice the RIGHT turns first, and save Left turns for last) and backwards, S-shapes, whatever) Even twirls, where i stand in one place, and twirl, while dog stays in position, mostly moving only his back feet.

"They" say, prior to teaching this type of heelwork, you must teach an elephant trick to get a sharp turn from the dog, but, i didn't, and Buddy's turns are awesome. I focused intensley on his position, and Buddy somehow learned, to get prizes, the whole thing is about WHERE he is beside me, and so Buddy did FINE for turns, cuz he also was focused on HIS own positioning---even for turns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I decided i want him *almost*barely touching my leg, actually.

I only taught "straight line " heeling for FIRST week, focusing solely on HIS position, and added in turns, speed changes, backwards, etc, later. Just work on straight lines for first week, focusing on WHERE exactly the dog IS.

He can even twirl in place beside me. Maybe for some dogs, you have to teach elephant, but, i did not. I DID teach a very very solid "Left Side" prior to this, though. (When i gesture, or say outloud, "Left side" my dog stands beside me in perfect position by my left leg). In the old DTA "classroom" that trick was called "get in".

for real, it's easy. I was shocked,:eek: "they" always said this was hard, and it LOOKS hard to do, doesn't it?? but it is NOT hard, or, it wasn't for my dog, using my "Easy Cheesy" way. I can see how hand-targetting might be harder, though....i wonder how you get the "eyes on me" part from hand-targetting...?

Buddy was heeling with his eyes up on me, in a week or less. Now, like i said, nailing speed changes, turns, backwards, etc, took a few weeks to polish to perfection, but, not what i'd call "hard to do". We did this EVERY day though, had lessons, even quickie lessons, EVERY day.

If a person only trains once a week or so, yes, yes, they might indeed say, "this is hard".

The "stops" were hardest, and i usually have to slow down prior to stop, cuz a dead stop at fast pace, my dog tends to take a extra step fwd, and then back up, if i deadstop at fast pace. A normal or slow pace, he stops beautifully though, but we have not yet perfected a FAST pace stop.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
For backwards, one does have to teach a dog "backup" as a separate cue, with chairs lined up, to get a dog who backs up in a straight line, otherwise, your dog WILL curl his back legs behind you when you back up in a heel--------- very very clumsy, and dog is now sort of "crab walking" his back legs as you back up.:ROFLMAO:

I had to line up chairs all over again, to refresh Buddy's memory about "back up" means in a straight line, not curling behind me.:ROFLMAO: but, that wasn't hard, either, took a day or so to remind him about staying in straightline when he backs up.
Then i spread chairs further apart, so i could fit in beside him, and we did some backwards heelwork, in a straight line, between the chairs,
and then faded the chairs.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
guess one needs to buy a video camera, word tutorials don't seem popular.:ROFLMAO:
lol, i am reader, i love reading, but i sure do see the appeal of watching films instead, maybe words are harder to understand than seeing it on film.

Honored Member
We haven't started doing backwards heel. Only just started backup (not in heel) between two obstacles (Holly doesn't need that anymore) but I can see that Holly is going to have an advantage in backwards heel because it will not be easy (if not impossible) for her to curve her back end around me as I walk backwards :) .
Her size also means she is best at "present" where the dog comes and sits really close to you between your feet, it's pretty hard for her to not be sitting straight (unless she sat on my foot :LOL:) .

She can do the left turn. She learn't it by putting her front feet on a tile or phonebook and going round in circles (I guess it's the elephant turn) and then with me next to her. She picked this up really fast and the next class after we were shown it Holly was the only one who could do it perfectly.

We're working on "get in"
She can do the one where I stand still and she comes over and sits on my left side, just need to get her to do the standing version.
And she will stop and sit when I say in heel position while I keep walking forwards (the obedience teacher said this can be very hard for some dogs to learn).

I think she's doing pretty good. We do practice outside of the once a week class.

The only thing is she sometimes get's distracted when we are doing "heel" in class, but she doesn't if we are hand targeting

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//I would love if you could do video tutorials for heel work.:p I love reading to, but I'm a visual learner.//

OH ME TOO! I'm dying to show off Buddy's heelwork, i am poppin proud of it, but, til we can feel we can spend cash on a nonessential item, i can't yet. I will scrap around to see if anyone can loan me theirs or come film it for me!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//Only just started backup (not in heel) between two obstacles (Holly doesn't need that anymore)//

PERFECT! That is how i did it, too, worked out great!

//She can do the left turn.//
Awesome, those are harder to get smooth than the right turns, i thought.

//We're working on "get in"//
Wonderful, it's SUCH a useful cue, in so so many ways.
I taught a standing "get in", and i just verbally add in a "sit" if i want him in a "sit", but your idea of two separate cues, one for a standing get in, and one for a sitting get in, is brilliant.

//And she will stop and sit when I say in heel position while I keep walking forwards (the obedience teacher said this can be very hard for some dogs to learn).//
sorry, i didn't really understand what you meant there....

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//I think she's doing pretty good. We do practice outside of the once a week class.//

Yes, lots of ppl only do lessons about once a week, but for *my* dog, i think it takes him forever to solidly nail a cue at that rate of "once a week" lessons.
I did daily lessons, it took him about a week to get very good at a straight line heel. (using easy cheesy way)
and a few more weeks to learn and polish off turns, backups, stops, S-Shapes, twirls, etc.

at once a week, it WILL probalby take a lot longer, i'd think.
A lesson can be five minutes long.:D ...or ten minutes long. Even "quickie" lessons help a dog master a trick or cue.

Like even just five minutes of time, here or there, call dog over, and have him heel next to you, or even just for a few seconds for just 15 feet, and reward that heavily, (if positioning was good)
so it's best moment of his day.:D I think this even adds to the dog's idea, "This heelwork stuff is great fun! What an unexpected good surprise, that mom had me heel just now and gave me prizes for it! YAY!" kinda thing. I think quickie lessons can add to a dog LOVING his tricks.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//The only thing is she sometimes get's distracted when we are doing "heel" in class, but she doesn't if we are hand targeting//

Ah, i have never trained this using hand-targetting, as my goal was an "eyes on me" type of heelwork. I also am struggling with keeping my dog focused on me amidst distractions,
so i set up a bunch of pieces of food on the floor for him to heel around,
and WA-LA, that took all of 5 minutes for Buddy to master, as he has been previously trained to ignore food, and has solid "leave it" too. Then we work outside in the yard, (neighbor said it was awesome, lol)
Then i worked around having my guy walk through room,
having my guy shake toys,
and having my guy squeak a toy.

Those last three, are works in progress:rolleyes: ---getting better, but not perfect at all, and so far, the squeak toy still distracts my dog everytime almost.:notworthy:

also, any fly buzzing my dog in heel, is guaranteed loss of focus,:ROFLMAO: and i have no idea how to solve that one.O_o