Just A Fun Little Video - Backing Up

MaryK

Honored Member
That's AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D And if that's not Sundog at her best WOW what is she like when she's at her best! One very clever young lady:D(y) Love the vid!:love:

SD&B

Experienced Member
That's AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D And if that's not Sundog at her best WOW what is she like when she's at her best! One very clever young lady:D(y) Love the vid!:love:
She has better traction on this sofa. (Video from last year)

An oldie, but it shows the idea. I've since been working on her backing up all the way by herself without me going with her.

MaryK

Honored Member
Love the vids.:love: So jealous LOL still trying to get Ra Kismet to back, he just 'sits' let alone back up stairs or onto sofas.

Fabulous Missy is also a very clever gal:D The forum is just full of very talented dogs!

SD&B

Experienced Member
Love the vids.:love: So jealous LOL still trying to get Ra Kismet to back, he just 'sits' let alone back up stairs or onto sofas.

Fabulous Missy is also a very clever gal:D The forum is just full of very talented dogs!
This is not really a trick. This is an exercise. We learned it in our therapy ball class. It requires a lot of strength and coordination to do it well. Since it is an exercise, we didn't worry about cues and such. We used more of a pressure technique to get the dog to back away and back up stairs. (Move towards the dog and the dog backs away from you.) Start by having Ra back onto something small, such as a towel. Then increase the height until you have stairs. Of course, lots of c/t's. It depends on why you're doing it if you want to do it this way. For dancing in which you might want to back away, you might not want to teach it this way. For exercise, it's a great way to teach it. I've turned it into a trick now.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you for the explanation. I'm thinking that although I do want Ra Kismet to back for Dancing, this would be a great exercise to strengthen his muscles (like a ballet dancer bar/floor work). So will teach him both.

Having problems though, he doesn't back when I walk toward him, he either sits or gives me 'right up' which is stand on your hind legs, or moves out of my way depending on where we are doing it. Or actually anything else he can think of EXCEPT BACK!!!!!!!:eek: I've even tried getting him into a narrow space but LOL he manages to find some creative ways to move anyway again EXCEPT BACK! He's too creative!:rolleyes::D

Honored Member
Holly can backup and we have just started using it for the agility A-frame to get good contact zones.
Although Holly can backup she had never backed onto an object but she did it first time in class with the A-frame.