Jimena&mena From Mexico City.

Jimena&mena

hey everyone! well im jimena, owner of a female fox terrier, her names mena shes 3 and the only tricks i've ever taught her are sit and paw. i used to have a rat terrier in the united states, he knew several tricks, sit, paw, roll over, jump, speak, kiss me etc. but when i moved i gave him to my cousin. Its so much harder too teach mena any tricks i dont know why, but if any of you have any tips feel free to tell because im gonna need all the help. thanksss!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WELCOME!! What a cute dog!!

don't give up on teaching this dogs tricks, ANY and EVERY dog CAN learn tricks!!!!

It might be best, to pick out ONE trick, and work on that one trick. After you have successfully taught this adorable dog one trick, you will probably feel more confident, and more hopeful and less stressed about how to teach a dog a trick,
but, whatever you do, don't give up! You CAN do this, and your dog CAN learn tricks!!! Mena is at a great age to learn tricks!!!:D

HERE are some general tips and hints.
If you dog is NEW to tricks training, keep your lessons SHORT, and quick. Like 5 to 10 minutes for first week or two, to avoid getting frustrated, to avoid a bored dog who will zone out on you and not pay attention. Overtime, if you want to, you can make lessons a lil bit longer. But for now, keep lessons SHORT!

You might want to Use a clicker, or an inkpen that clicks, to mark the "right answer" for your dog. This can really help your dog learn tricks faster. You click whenever dog does correct move, or makes an attempt at a correct move. EVERY click, gets a treat, no exceptions. You click one time, if you are REALLY pleased, you can give many treats, but, only ONE click for each correct move. Pet supply stores sell clickers.

Use YUMMY treats, like real meat, or hotdogs, or bits of cheese, but keep all treats very small, so your dog wont' get fat or full. There are many good recipes in the "Treat" section of the forums if you have a fussy dog about treats.

Do NOT scold a wrong move, do not even say "no", just silently IGNORE all mistakes, and reward correct moves. Tricks training should be FUN for you AND for the dog!!:D

If your dog stops paying attention, pick up your treats, and move to a new room, or train outdoors, this moving around can perk a bored dog back up, and check the clock to make sure you haven't gone over a beginner dog time limit. (some dogs who are NEW to lessons, can't pay attention very long at first).

End all lessons, with "All done!" so dog knows lessons are over, and then play with your dog, so he thinks lessons are FUN!!!

Do you have a trick you are working on, or a trick you WANT to teach next???

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
We used to have a bunch of "how to" videos, but, right now, those are gone,:( but, some people learn best by watching a "how to" video, so i will find some easy ones on youtube, and post you some "how to" videos of some tricks.

Here is one of my favorite tutorials, but, this IS a fairly complex trick, but one can see how the steps progress from rewarding a move in correct direction, to a final trick:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
So anyway, i think sometimes watching how it is done,
is helpful for some of us.

IF YOU WANT HELP teaching a specific trick, post the trick, and someone here will know how to help you!! GOOD LUCK
and don't give up!:)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the DTA. Sometimes some dogs take a little bit longer to figure out the "Game" of training. Keep it up, once your dog figures out that his behavior is the deciding factor on whether or not she earns a treats, you'll be all set. ;)

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Hello! Welcome to DTA!

You might want to know that some dogs are harder to motivate than others - it took about a month to get the correct treats that motivated my dog, and I found them by chance. But once you learn what she REALLY likes, it's going to go much easier! If you find a treat your dog just loves, don't use it all the time or she won't be as interested because it will be a common food for her. Easier things for motivation are usually cheese, bread, liver, chicken, beef, etc.

Some dogs are motivated by:
1) Food - most common one!
2) Toys - usually retrievers and herders love toys.
3) Praise.
4) Environment! That is, going for walks, for example. It's hard to apply in some kinds of training but for example it is the easier motivator for dogs who pull on the leash.

Like Jean Marie said, a clicker is a very good idea, especially if your dog is food motivated. And pretty much what she said is great advice.

I hope to see you around!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Welcome to the Academy! Great tips already. What kind of trouble are you having with Mena's training?
Cute dog!
Enjoy the site. :)