It's Official: I'm More Interesting Than Angelina Jolie!

threenorns

today, i was grooming dandy on the back deck, something we've done any number of times without incident. i did have the gate shut.

wouldn't you know, the neighbour's miserable moggie jumped up on the woodpile and started caterwauling at dandy ... who promptly leapt the deck rail, landing some fifteen below on the grass (which is thoroughly wet and soggy thanks to the flood and several days of rain, thank goodness), streaked across the yard like black lightning, and was up on the woodpile before the cat even registered what was happening (which is the only reason i can think of for the rotten hairball to still actually be up there when dandy came up over the edge). they ran the length of the woodpile into the pine trees beyond, there was a clashing and snapping of branches, and that was the last i saw of him.

i'm still standing there like a tool, brush held up and my mouth open ready to shout "oi! get back here!".

so i went inside, got my shoes on, got the leash, told the family i'd be back in a bit.

out front, i went to the pit bull's house but he wasn't there. i went to the english setter's house and he wasn't there, either. finally, i whistled and within about 30 seconds, i heard the sound of a tiny horse galloping down the road - he'd gone the other direction completely so he must've still been chasing the cat.

i leashed him without incident and figured we're out anyway, might as well go for a walk.

there's this one house up on newcastle that he goes *mental* over. when we pass, he plants his nose HARD on the ground and sniffs and licks and piddles and sniffs and licks and piddles. it's really annoying. i've always said "i don't CARE if angelina jolie lives here, let's GO!"

today, La Jolie was out in the yard and i can see why he acts that way: she's a 30lb purebred border collie and i must say, he's got excellent taste in women. she's truly stunning, both in appearance and in personality - an exemplary example.

they played together while i chatted with Nalah's mum and then i showed mum a few things (she's got a few minor issues with the dog). wouldn't you know it: i said "dandy, yumyum" - and he broke off playing with La Jolie and came to a perfect sit in front of me, eyes square on my face, ears pricked with interest. Nalah looked at him, saw me give him a treat, then came and sat, ever so prettily and daintily, next to dandy, imitating his alert posture. so of course i gave her a treat (with permission).

i showed a couple of his tricks, then let them play again and when it was time to go, i said "dandy - let's go" and he immediately fell in beside me - no nonsense about resisting, no whining, nothing barring a long, lingering glance back at the little lady standing forlornly at the end of her driveway.

next time, the REAL test: Holly, the sleek little golden retriever. if he breaks off play with her to some sit in front of me, i WILL be preening!

brody_smom

Experienced Member
there's this one house up on newcastle that he goes *mental* over. when we pass, he plants his nose HARD on the ground and sniffs and licks and piddles and sniffs and licks and piddles. it's really annoying. i've always said "i don't CARE if angelina jolie lives here, let's GO!"

today, La Jolie was out in the yard and i can see why he acts that way: she's a 30lb purebred border collie and i must say, he's got excellent taste in women. she's truly stunning, both in appearance and in personality - an exemplary example.

they played together while i chatted with Nalah's mum and then i showed mum a few things (she's got a few minor issues with the dog). wouldn't you know it: i said "dandy, yumyum" - and he broke off playing with La Jolie and came to a perfect sit in front of me, eyes square on my face, ears pricked with interest. Nalah looked at him, saw me give him a treat, then came and sat, ever so prettily and daintily, next to dandy, imitating his alert posture. so of course i gave her a treat (with permission).

i showed a couple of his tricks, then let them play again and when it was time to go, i said "dandy - let's go" and he immediately fell in beside me - no nonsense about resisting, no whining, nothing barring a long, lingering glance back at the little lady standing forlornly at the end of her driveway.

next time, the REAL test: Holly, the sleek little golden retriever. if he breaks off play with her to some sit in front of me, i WILL be preening!
Okay, but to be honest, you + yumyum are more interesting than angelina jolie! But neither is more interesting than a cat!

threenorns

yeah - dandy *loves* cats but they don't love him and that particular cat is just a little s--thead. he peed all over my back door and all over the basement wood hatch. drove me nuts trying to figure out why my house smelled so badly of cat pee.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
yeah - dandy *loves* cats but they don't love him and that particular cat is just a little s--thead. he peed all over my back door and all over the basement wood hatch. drove me nuts trying to figure out why my house smelled so badly of cat pee.
Cats and dogs. Gotta love 'em. We have two cats in our house. When we got Brody, I moved all of the cat paraphernalia - food, litter box, toys - to the upper level of our house so they would never have to come down if they didn't want to. We have a temporary barracade made of a vacuum cleaner and a laundry hamper to keep Brody from going up. One of the cats is pretty brave, and he comes down and let's Brody sniff him a bit. He will go to a high place when he feels a little threatened, then he will flee to the safety of the upstairs with Brody hot on his tail. The other never comes down until he knows Brody is safely crated for the evening. He is getting very fat!

threenorns

oh, our cats adore dandy - when jinny was in labour, she went running and crying for dandy. she was having the kitten and dandy was licking the kitten and she was licking him. cooper was born looking a dead ringer for dandy (black with vestigial white markings in the same places) and he's a real cuddlebug - he'll even play fetch. he and dandy spend a lot of time snuggled up together.

the cat on the woodpile is a semi-feral tabby that was abandoned by the last family living next door. the new occupent does not like cats but ignoring the cat and not letting it in the house is not making it go away, either, so they just ignore each other. (i tried getting a hold of it to send it to a rescue but it's a canny wee beastie).

brody_smom

Experienced Member
oh, our cats adore dandy - when jinny was in labour, she went running and crying for dandy. she was having the kitten and dandy was licking the kitten and she was licking him. cooper was born looking a dead ringer for dandy (black with vestigial white markings in the same places) and he's a real cuddlebug - he'll even play fetch. he and dandy spend a lot of time snuggled up together.

the cat on the woodpile is a semi-feral tabby that was abandoned by the last family living next door. the new occupent does not like cats but ignoring the cat and not letting it in the house is not making it go away, either, so they just ignore each other. (i tried getting a hold of it to send it to a rescue but it's a canny wee beastie).
In our area, the SPCA will come and set humane traps for feral cats. Local vets do spay/neuters on them and then release them if they are truly feral. My step-niece works with them, and she has adopted several feral kittens. They hide in the strangest places!

threenorns

In our area, the SPCA will come and set humane traps for feral cats. Local vets do spay/neuters on them and then release them if they are truly feral. My step-niece works with them, and she has adopted several feral kittens. They hide in the strangest places!
we don't have an SPCA here at all. the pet stores do what they can.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
we don't have an SPCA here at all. the pet stores do what they can.
That's unfortunate. I know some people have a problem with the SPCA, but they have a really tough job, and sometimes not a lot of support from local law enforcement or the legal system in general. My step-niece is one of those officers who investigates abuse and sometimes has to seize animals. Her life has been threatened on more than one occasion.

threenorns

yeah, here in ontario, the Ontario SPCA is bollocks. they're very selective about the cases they respond to, usually only those that carry great publicity potential. they'll go in, guns a-blazing, to shut down a puppy mill and headlines will splash about the 100+ dogs rescued, but they'll ignore 100 calls about backyard breeders who have "only" 3 or 4 breeding dogs kept in equally execrable conditions.

i called on a woman who started breeding her rottweiler cross (not even a purebred, although she passes it off as one - it's not, anybody with the slightest knowledge of dogs can see the lab in her) when she had her first heat at 8mo old. she kept at it until the dog was finally pregnant at less than one year. then she had all the puppies taken to the farmer next door to get their tails "dealt with". i gave all that info to the SPCA and nothing was done - that poor rotti is now on her fourth litter and she's not even 3yrs old; she's lost all the fur from her waist back bec of mange. i've called the cops, they can't do anything. i called the town, they can't do anything. they all told me to call the SPCA who won't do anything.

she came to me and offered me a pup for "only" $250 - she sells them $500 apiece (no shots, no vetting). i said i won't take a puppy, but i'll buy the mother for a grand right now. she laughed in my face and said "i get a thousand bucks plus per litter - you'll have to go way higher than that".