Interested in Training Psychiatric Service Dogs

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by chaoslillith, Mar 20, 2009.

1. chaoslillith New Member

for Veterans with PTSD as well as service dogs for MS.

Hello,

I was directed here by Snooks the other day. I am currently a trainer at Petsmart (I did a lot of learning on positive reinforcement on my own as I realized the person training me was old school and probably should not be working at Petsmart). I have always wanted to do something to help the Veterans coming back from the wars who are getting neglected by the people who are supposed to care. I saw something about training dogs to help with PTSD and I have been getting more interested in the service dog field.

I would like some tips on things to learn how to train ( I have few already) and how do you think I should go about working with dogs other than my own for this.

I do not feel that I should be advertising myself as a trainer for these things when I have not had much experience.

I have a greyhound his name is Blacktrain : This is him the first day I had him.

[IMG]

[IMG]

and I have trained him in the basics and I will probably start teaching him service tasks as well. My main concern is how to go from here and build this into business non profit or otherwise.

Thanks for any advice,

Chaos

2. tx_cowgirl Honored Member

Welcome to the Academy! Not sure what to tell you except that the monthly challenges actually can help a lot with teaching service tasks. Our first challenge was teaching your dog to retrieve a household item--keys, remote, etc. Anything.

Being a trainer already helps---perhaps offer a click-a-trick class specializing in service tasks. Not sure what Petsmart policy says concerning this, but really you're just teaching tricks as long as you don't advertise it as a class teaching service tasks. If you could use Blacktrain as a demo dog performing certain tasks at the front of the store, you could probably get tons of attention. Some of your students or just people in the store might know people who know people...heard it through the grapevine, you know?

One of our members, Yoyopoodle(hasn't been around much lately) actually runs a business that trains poodles for service dogs. Jillian was happy to answer my questions. :) Not sure if this will help you any, but here's her reply to some of my questions.

Anyway, welcome! Glad Snooks directed you here. Enjoy the site, and do check out the challenges! :)
  3. chaoslillith New Member

Thanks for all the links.

I did look at that school but I would not be able to have the funds or afford the time off yet.

I will start delving into all the other sources though.
  4. tx_cowgirl Honored Member

I understand. :) Well good luck to you! Hope we see you around the site.