I Finally Got Around To...

sara

Staff member
Filming and putting together some of Mouse's tricks! And for those of you who have asked about clicker training deaf dogs... you can clearly see how I do it :)

ps. I am currently uploading the whole "read a book/turn the page" video... I wanted to get this done first! :)

Anneke

Honored Member
AMAZING!!!! Loved every second of it!
One question though... Why did you have a can next to Mouse for the say yes trick?? Just curious...

running_dog

Honored Member
Thanks Sara! What a brilliant video... I'm going to have to come back and look at it again because I only found you posted it as I have run out of DTA time! But even at a first time viewing Mouse is amazing... I thought Scout was one in a million but now you show us that Mouse is a really stunning little trickster too!

I'm definitely looking out for a deafie lurcher as a next dog :) it looks like it'll have to be a female though because Zac likes females better :(.

sara

Staff member
AMAZING!!!! Loved every second of it!
One question though... Why did you have a can next to Mouse for the say yes trick?? Just curious...
Ha ha, well, Mouse cant see well, so I have run out of signs she can see well enough and distinguish between. Alot of her "cues" are objects. The book is the cue to "read," the can is the cue to "say yes", the books and blocks are the cue for "say no", the laptop case is the cue to "get in", the beam is the cue to "pray", the block is the cue to "paws up", etc.

Thanks Sara! What a brilliant video... I'm going to have to come back and look at it again because I only found you posted it as I have run out of DTA time! But even at a first time viewing Mouse is amazing... I thought Scout was one in a million but now you show us that Mouse is a really stunning little trickster too!

I'm definitely looking out for a deafie lurcher as a next dog :) it looks like it'll have to be a female though because Zac likes females better :(.
I really hope you find a little deaf girly for him :) You will have soooo much fun with it!!!

AMAZING WORK, Sara and Mouse!!!!:eek::D So true, disabilities only stop those unwilling to try:) Mouse is one amazing 'lil trick dog!!!!!:D
She is honestly so easy, once I quit putting food in front of her nose! LOL

Dogster

Honored Member
:D You're really awesome Sara!!! I wouldn't be able to handle training so many dogs, you're seriously a pro!!!!

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
Sara you are so good at teaching tricks!!!!!!!!!!!!:) Mouse is so talented!!! Love the wipe your face trick!!

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
You are one great trainer Sara and you have a great, intelligent little dog their in Mouse, this is the first trick video I have watched of any of your guys and am truly impressed! Well done!

running_dog

Honored Member
Ha ha, well, Mouse cant see well, so I have run out of signs she can see well enough and distinguish between.
As Mouse uses the light as a cue for one of the tricks... could you use a different colour light (maybe a green filter on a torch) and use a sort of Morse Mouse code for cues? No idea if it would work...

Or what about floor vibrations? I read that Romanies lurchers used to be given cues (stamped/scraped foot/stick) that travelled as vibrations through the ground... but no idea if it could work for Mouse. One of my friends is visually impaired and she can hear better than me and sense some things that are in front of her in a way I can't when I have my eyes shut (Ouch! :D) and also she is better than me at interpreting non visual information about what is going on... so I guess it is true that when one (or two in Mouse's case) sense is impaired some of the "sensitiveness" is channeled into the other senses and we learn to interpret what is about us from the info we do have. This is why I'm wondering if there is a way of communicating with Mouse that takes advantage if she HAS got heightened perception of vibrations?

I really hope you find a little deaf girly for him :) You will have soooo much fun with it!!!
There's no rush - it looks like I'll have to wait a little while any way so I'll just keep my eyes open for Zac's perfect girl :D... All the dogs I've liked the look of have been male and realistically I don't think Zac would enjoy sharing me and his training with another male dog.

Zsu-Zsu

Filming and putting together some of Mouse's tricks! And for those of you who have asked about clicker training deaf dogs... you can clearly see how I do it :)

ps. I am currently uploading the whole "read a book/turn the page" video... I wanted to get this done first! :)

You really deserve that applause! Great job and great ideas, thanks for sharing.

sara

Staff member
As Mouse uses the light as a cue for one of the tricks... could you use a different colour light (maybe a green filter on a torch) and use a sort of Morse Mouse code for cues? No idea if it would work...

Or what about floor vibrations? I read that Romanies lurchers used to be given cues (stamped/scraped foot/stick) that travelled as vibrations through the ground... but no idea if it could work for Mouse. One of my friends is visually impaired and she can hear better than me and sense some things that are in front of her in a way I can't when I have my eyes shut (Ouch! :D) and also she is better than me at interpreting non visual information about what is going on... so I guess it is true that when one (or two in Mouse's case) sense is impaired some of the "sensitiveness" is channeled into the other senses and we learn to interpret what is about us from the info we do have. This is why I'm wondering if there is a way of communicating with Mouse that takes advantage if she HAS got heightened perception of vibrations?

There's no rush - it looks like I'll have to wait a little while any way so I'll just keep my eyes open for Zac's perfect girl :D... All the dogs I've liked the look of have been male and realistically I don't think Zac would enjoy sharing me and his training with another male dog.
Well, I probably could use light, I doubt I could use vibrations though. But the objects work well for us :) I was thinking of somehow possibly using smell (her strongest sense) possibly put essence oils in little vials, but not sure if I could work that out. So far the objects are working just fine :)

sara

Staff member
:D You're really awesome Sara!!! I wouldn't be able to handle training so many dogs, you're seriously a pro!!!!
Thank you, but not really :) the only thing you need when training multiple dogs... is a solid Stay with all of them! LOL

Aaah! I get it! I did see her look at the can and then say yes. ;)
LOL... I have to get somewhat creative with her LOL

Sara you are so good at teaching tricks!!!!!!!!!!!!:) Mouse is so talented!!! Love the wipe your face trick!!
Thank you, but honestly, I dont think it's me so much as I have easy dogs :)

You are one great trainer Sara and you have a great, intelligent little dog their in Mouse, this is the first trick video I have watched of any of your guys and am truly impressed! Well done!
Well, I have a ton of videos of my mutts doing tricks, feel free to check out my you tube page :)

You really deserve that applause! Great job and great ideas, thanks for sharing.
Nahh I deserve nothing, Mouse is the one needing applause :)

running_dog

Honored Member
I've just watched the vid again and can't get over how tiny and how eager Mouse is! I love the way she curls up in the laptop case.

Funny, I'd just wondered about using something like those wooden blocks that children play with and putting a different scent on each as a different cue :) (though they'd have to be stored separately which becomes a bit of a pain). I'd been puzzled before because it is hard to make a scent go away after it is introduced to an area and not end up carrying the scent on your hand and confuse the dog. Still you could have a really sneaky trick where you scent the end of one target stick differently to another identical one and get Mouse to do something different with each... :D:sneaky:. Or you could scent one book so Mouse doesn't like to read that one... So many tricks if you can tap into a dog's sense of smell - something I've not managed to do with Zac yet - "SIGH".

Have you tried doing scent work with Mouse?

How long have you been training Mouse tricks? I seem to remember it was only a few months ago that you posted the photos of her praying and said she'd just become a wonder at free shaping. She has an amazing repertoire.

Most of the videos I see about deaf dogs the tricks seem to be carried out quite close to the owner, while I know that Mouse is visually impaired so she needs to be close it seems odd if deafies are limited on distance - do you think it is lack of owner confidence, lack of dog confidence, lack of training, lack of attention from the dog, or just that I haven't watched enough deafie vids?

It would actually be a lot easier to have a clicker dog and a light dog - so hard to train 2 clicker dogs because they blackmail me for treats! I've wondered several times about using a light for Gus just so I don't have to keep annoying Zac!

BTW I'm going to choose the right moment to show the Mouse video to my family - starting the long brainwashing process ;):sneaky:;) .

sara

Staff member
I've just watched the vid again and can't get over how tiny and how eager Mouse is! I love the way she curls up in the laptop case.

She's such a funny little thing :p

Funny, I'd just wondered about using something like those wooden blocks that children play with and putting a different scent on each as a different cue :) (though they'd have to be stored separately which becomes a bit of a pain). I'd been puzzled before because it is hard to make a scent go away after it is introduced to an area and not end up carrying the scent on your hand and confuse the dog. Still you could have a really sneaky trick where you scent the end of one target stick differently to another identical one and get Mouse to do something different with each... :D:sneaky:. Or you could scent one book so Mouse doesn't like to read that one... So many tricks if you can tap into a dog's sense of smell - something I've not managed to do with Zac yet - "SIGH".

You have some good ideas! I'll have to think about it and try to figure something out... I dont think I've ever seen anyone use scent to train tricks...

Have you tried doing scent work with Mouse?

I have, but there are no clubs we can join here. I've done games and such, but I'd love to try earthdog (she'd be brilliant at that!) and tracking

How long have you been training Mouse tricks? I seem to remember it was only a few months ago that you posted the photos of her praying and said she'd just become a wonder at free shaping. She has an amazing repertoire.

I've been trying to train tricks for years, but only recently discovered she can learn with shaping and free shaping, She is dumb as a brick when it comes to luring... it took me 2 years to teach her the simple tricks, but in the last 6 months she's learned tons!

Most of the videos I see about deaf dogs the tricks seem to be carried out quite close to the owner, while I know that Mouse is visually impaired so she needs to be close it seems odd if deafies are limited on distance - do you think it is lack of owner confidence, lack of dog confidence, lack of training, lack of attention from the dog, or just that I haven't watched enough deafie vids?

I've seen some distance work with deafies, but not alot. It's not the deafness, I dont think, though deaf dogs tend to be velcro dogs :), but I think it has alot to do with your other points :) I know I never taught Scout any distance tricks, except the drop on recall. Though I haven't done alot of distance work with Oliver either :)

It would actually be a lot easier to have a clicker dog and a light dog - so hard to train 2 clicker dogs because they blackmail me for treats! I've wondered several times about using a light for Gus just so I don't have to keep annoying Zac!

The problem with lights is that you're limited to low light and/or indoor training. I use the same light for Mouse and Boo (and the fish! LOL) but when I'm working with one, the other has to stay on the chair :)

BTW I'm going to choose the right moment to show the Mouse video to my family - starting the long brainwashing process ;):sneaky:;) .
LOL How'd they receive the Scout video?

running_dog

Honored Member
Kyra Sundance uses scent discrimination as the basis for some tricks so the idea is not original. But if Mouse enjoys scent discrimination... Oh... there's so much you could train... if you trained her to shake head "No" to a particular scent you could offer her some books by Cesar Milan and she shakes her head then you give her a book by a positive trainer and she reads it :cool:. THAT would be a fantastic video :LOL:.

What a pity there are no local scent work clubs for you to join, Mouse might have found herself in her element :(.

I use the clicker a lot outside of training sessions - when we're on the go and out for walks so stays don't really help, dogs seem able to figure out who is holding the clicker (so my friend and I can both clicker train our dogs when we are walking together) but it is harder when both dogs are supposed to be reporting to the same person :confused:. But you're right... using a light wouldn't work for what I'd need either... :(

LOL How'd they receive the Scout video?

I can't remember what my people thought of the Scout video it was so long ago... I'll need to give them a refresher course ;). They get this wary look when I talk about deafies now :rolleyes: . When the complaint was raised that you can't see our (black) dogs at night I happily pointed out that a lot of deaf dogs are white :D.

sara

Staff member
LOL So true! My dogs all GLOW! LOL

I like your Cesar idea!!! I might have to lift my ban on CM books in my house for that one!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: