Huntyr Learning To Hug A Rat...

huntyr

Today I attempted to video Huntyr as he is learning to hug.
I have to admit, its not the best video as we had a few distractions.
But if anyone has any ideas on how to train this easier than what I am attempting,
PLEASE, I am open to all and any advice...

MaryK

Honored Member
Great vid again(y) He's such a cutie pie:love: Think that maybe a bit hard to my boy at present, he's still working on getting his paws "up" in sit pretty. But great to teach once he has the paws up a bit more.

With the problem of Huntyr shutting down, Ra Kismet does the same thing, and what I do is to just leave that trick and do something I KNOW he LOVES doing. It seems to 'snap' him out of the shut down mode. Then, depending on time and his general attitude, I'll go back to the original trick and try again. If that fails, I do as suggested by Jackiemutts, leave the trick altogether for a few days, before trying it again.

I have found this works well with Ra Kismet, so I do hope it will help with Huntyr:D

Dogster

Honored Member
SO CUTE!!!!!:love: I love that trick!!!:love:

About the problem, I think Huntyr may be nervous during the training. Does he do this during all the sessions, or just when there are background noises??? It may be the noises (ex. guns) that bother him...

huntyr

With the problem of Huntyr shutting down, Ra Kismet does the same thing, and what I do is to just leave that trick and do something I KNOW he LOVES doing. It seems to 'snap' him out of the shut down mode. Then, depending on time and his general attitude, I'll go back to the original trick and try again. If that fails, I do as suggested by Jackiemutts, leave the trick altogether for a few days, before trying it again.
Huntyr has done this shut down routine no matter what we are doing. Obedience, rally, agility or just plain playing.

He is stubborn. I can get the best fresh liver, best treats, hot dogs, cheese, doesnt matter, if he has decided he isnt gonna play anymore. He isnt gonna play.
I am stubborn. He is more stubborn.
Its aggravating but its Huntyr. LOL

huntyr

SO CUTE!!!!!:love: I love that trick!!!:love:

About the problem, I think Huntyr may be nervous during the training. Does he do this during all the sessions, or just when there are background noises??? It may be the noises (ex. guns) that bother him...
As you can see what I responded to MaryK he has always been like this.
I simply dont know what to do when he "turns off" and usually then just move on to something else for a spell.

In this video it is compounded because of the gun shots going off. He was totally distracted and wanted to be under the chair, not doing tricks.

MaryK

Honored Member
Huntyr has done this shut down routine no matter what we are doing. Obedience, rally, agility or just plain playing.

He is stubborn. I can get the best fresh liver, best treats, hot dogs, cheese, doesnt matter, if he has decided he isnt gonna play anymore. He isnt gonna play.
I am stubborn. He is more stubborn.
Its aggravating but its Huntyr. LOL
LOL yes and Huntry is a JRT too, stubborn I've found is their middle name:rolleyes::D

Have you tried, when not in trials of course, just getting him to play for a while? Then go back to 'work'. I find sometimes Ra Kismet just needs to have a good play (with his soccer ball) then he's willing and ready to work again.

MaryK

Honored Member
As you can see what I responded to MaryK he has always been like this.
I simply dont know what to do when he "turns off" and usually then just move on to something else for a spell.

In this video it is compounded because of the gun shots going off. He was totally distracted and wanted to be under the chair, not doing tricks.
Don't blame him if gun shots were going off I'd be joining him under the chair:D

Seriously though, you may need to work on getting him used to distraction. It's hard to get a dog to focus when they're really distracted. Especially when the distractions are very loud noises.

But Huntry did very well, he's one smart cookie, o.k. smart stubborn cookie, so don't give up:D