Howling Husky

yazman

Hi all,

I have a 19-month Husky - Lola who we keep outside in the garden in her own fenced area which is quite a large area. We have a pretty largish garden shared with my parents who plant a lot of things, but are not overly fond of dogs. They are out in the garden a lot throughout the year and each time the dog howls and won't stop howling for at least another hour or so (sometimes more) after they have gone in. Same if we have any visitors over who park their cars in the garage and pass by the dog to come into the house. No aggressiveness, just howling. We exercise her regularly - about 1-2 hours every day - and give her a lot of attention, but can't seem to stop this incessant howling and the neighbours are starting to complain. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

southerngirl

Honored Member

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
Dogs are pack animals, where you are tends to be best. Perhaps a compromise of indoor space where the dog is allowed, for example in the entry and hall, or mudroom, or the kitchen and your room... so she could be with the family more. You would of course be willing to pitch in with the extra work to keep your home lovely.... Also helping to teach a good foundation set of manners.

Perhaps another dog, albeit a quiet breed. Kongs are an excellent idea as are puzzles. Good luck!

MaryK

Honored Member
She's lonely. As Linda has said, dogs are pack animals, so a dog left outside all the time will either bark or howl. Linda has offered good advice, that's the best answer to your problem, also Southerngirl has pinpointed the cause too.

Good luck.

yazman

Great advice.Thanks a lot.

We already buy Lola lots of dog toys but generally they last a day, max 2 before she rips them apart. I'd never heard of Kong before and googled it. Lots of people recommend them so have purchased a couple from amazon. Will hopefully have them in a couple of days.

Unfortunately, I have no chance of letting her in the house as my wife strictly forbids it but she does get plenty of family time with us.

A friend of mine also suggested getting a second dog but I've no idea as yet which one to get. I have considered a Golden retriever as my wife really loves them (had one that died prematurely when she was a teenager). If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to them.

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Golden Retrievers are excellent dogs. May I suggest you go to a shelter and get a Adult dog from there. You might find a wonderful mutt there that will be a great new addition to your family or if you have your heart set on a purebred you can also find them in shelter.

Honored Member
I don't really see how getting a second dog would help, it could make matters worse.

I know someone who had a dog (large terrier mix from what I can tell) that barked all the time (it was also left outside but with access to the laundry only), then she got a second adult dog (not because of the barking but because she just wanted another), so now she has two barking dogs. Only the new dog is bigger and has a bigger bark. She can't leave bones or toys out with them because they will fight over them. She has tried anti-bark collars :mad: and discovered that they don't work.
She's pretty sure that the second dog (a lab X) wouldn't bark if he was on his own but the old dog causes it.

So I would be very careful about getting a second dog. If you expect to leave it in with the husky and have them both get along and not bark it might not work.
A puppy would likely learn to bark and some adult dogs may too (depending on the adult).

I would work on the first dog (maybe see a behavourist) before getting a second dog which could make everything more complicated.