How To Teach This

Miller and Brittany

I was wondering how to teach the first trick in this video, jump onto my arms, that tug ( the brown and white dog ) is doing. If anybody has any ideas, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Honored Member
Maybe start with one arm on the ground and get the dog to put its front feet on it, then do the same with the other arm and the back legs. Then both arms flat on the ground and get the dog to put back and front feet on arms (might need a second person to help with this, perhaps with a lure since you hands will be busy).
Then raise the front arm up slightly off the ground, then start moving both arms off the ground until you reach the height you want.

I would expect it to take a while to get to the height in the video, especially if your dog doesn't naturally have awesome balance.
Also, your dog would have to be pretty light and I wouldn't want to make the dog go too far off the ground just in case it did fall.
And your arms might get a bit scratched up :)

I might actually teach Holly the one where the dog has front feet on one foot and back feet on the other, it doesn't look too difficult.

Honored Member
Actually, I just realised that there is a tutorial for the foot version, so I would probably teach the arm one the same way, or even start with the feet to increase balance etc first

MaryK

Honored Member
Great trick! I couldn't teach this, Ra Kismet is way to heavy, my arms wouldn't hold him.

Honored Member
I think even Holly would be a bit heavy to easily support with my arms out like that and she weighs under 7kgs

Honored Member
I've started to teach Holly the foot version.

The hardest bit is getting her aware of her back feet to put them on an object. Not sure how well she will fit on my feet, but even if she is a little big (she's stocky) to complete the trick it will have been good to work on rare end awareness :)

Honored Member
Success!!!!!

Holly can now balance her front feet on my right foot while her back feet are on my left!

It required the bottom of my pants to get a bit muddy :LOL: . I've been teaching her to balance using bricks outside because they were too wobbly inside (the grass is better), but it rained today so Holly had wet muddy feet.
Today I stopped luring so she had to figure it out herself, she whined at me a bit and then offered what I wanted (y) , she was doing so well that I thought I would step onto the bricks and she stepped onto my feet :D

Then I tested it inside with no bricks in sight.... and she could still do it!

Just have to add movement now ;)

MaryK

Honored Member
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) Now we need a vid please!!!!!!!:D Holly is one smart little cookie, she 'got it' very quickly, as it's not an easy trick!(y)

LOL what's a bit of mud between friends! Do send some rain our way, it's so dry and hot here!

Honored Member
Thanks.

I wish I could send you the rain. You don't live near where they are having all those fires are you?
Yesterday it was so odd, the sky would turn blue then within a minute it would be grey and raining, then it would suddenly stop raining and turn blue again :rolleyes: I tried to take Holly for her walk in a blue patch, but we still enjoyed a rainy grey patch in the middle of the walk :(
It even hailed a bit (not while we were on our walk though).

Some summer we're having :confused:

At least I got to see the most amazing rainbow :)

Anyway, back to the trick.
I might see if I can film it tomorrow (or at least get a photo).

I still need to name the trick so any suggestions would be awesome....

MaryK

Honored Member
Thanks.

I wish I could send you the rain. You don't live near where they are having all those fires are you?
Yesterday it was so odd, the sky would turn blue then within a minute it would be grey and raining, then it would suddenly stop raining and turn blue again :rolleyes: I tried to take Holly for her walk in a blue patch, but we still enjoyed a rainy grey patch in the middle of the walk :(
It even hailed a bit (not while we were on our walk though).

Some summer we're having :confused:

At least I got to see the most amazing rainbow :)

Anyway, back to the trick.
I might see if I can film it tomorrow (or at least get a photo).

I still need to name the trick so any suggestions would be awesome....
We need rain badly, apart from my love of rain, the country needs it. No thank goodness, but it's terrible watching the news and I feel very down, for everyone, especially all the stock, wild life and domestic animals which have died or been injured. It's so depressing:cry:

Rainbows are so beautiful:)

What about hammock as a name for the trick. She's kinda slung like one:rolleyes:

Honored Member
I took a photo, but it's not the best because I actually took it myself (unhelpful family....), I had to reach over with the camera facing Holly so I couldn't see what I was doing :confused: Good thing I could reach far enough out to get all of her in the shot.

Honored Member
Lol, looking at the picture I might have to trim the hair on her chin, it's getting rather long. I can't decide if I should or not though, it might look horrible if I do.

MaryK

Honored Member
That's AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Great photo, gives me hope too, as I have an unhelpful partner!

I wouldn't trim her chin hairs yet, they look cute! But of course, if they're getting messy with food, maybe a wee trim is in order. She's so smart LOVE the trick!!!!:love: