How To Stop Him From Herding Me?

Dlilly

Honored Member
The scariest thing ever is watching Rory herd me. :cautious: He crouches down, then stares into my soul with his wild eyes. Then he runs at me and jumps all over me and start biting my hands. (He's very mouthy, he thinks hands are toys. I'm trying to stop this.) It's not the jumping or running at me that freaks me out, it's him crouching down, staring at me, then stalking me. He does it randomly, maybe after we play, or after trick training.

How can I stop him from herding me!?

Anneke

Honored Member
I have been thinking about this for a while, trying to picture it in my mind... Sorry, it make me laugh:D
But I see how it is annoying.
Cooper used to herd me by coming up behind me and pinching me in my cheek(bottom):mad::D:rolleyes:
I got him to stop doing this, by stopping what I was doing and ignoring him. Sometimes with a firm NO!
But it seems your Rory is much more extreem in this.

Honored Member
There's a border collie that I sometimes see at the park when I'm out with Holly. It seems to have a strong herding instrinct. It's owners play fetch with it.

What the dog does is stares at it's owner until he throws the ball for it (using a tennis racket to make the ball go further), then the dog travels in a bit of an arch to the ball so it looks a bit like it's herding the ball.
Then it gets the ball, runs back to the owner, drops the ball then dashes away from the owner and lies down facing the owner about 5 meters away doing the 'herding stare' until the ball is thrown again. The dog completely ignores everything else other than the owner and ball, it pays no attention at all to any other dog.

I don't know if that helps, but maybe when Rory looks like he wants to herd you could go and play some fetch with him to re-direct his energy and focus (if he likes to fetch).

Dlilly

Honored Member

That wasn't the best video because I used my iphone, :p This time he didn't freeze and then rush and jump on me. I tapped his face so he wouldn't jump on me, but he did when I wasn't expecting it.

I've tried holding a toy so he doesn't bite my hands, but he then goes for my shirt or feet. I don't want him to think if he wants to play, he has to herd me…

Dice Smith

Oh Dlily, my Kodiak was the same way!!! :oops: It didn't matter what I was wearing (although he was worse when I wore my wool lined winter coat, then I really was his sheep!), he would gaze at me with that herding eye, start runing around me in circles nipping and barking and wouldn't let me move. Then he would jump up at my face, back, and chest nipping at me and barking. He got to the point where his nips started to hurt really bad and would leave bruises on my skin. :( I understand exactly how you must feel and how irritating and scary it can be. I was told to grab him by the collar and force him into a down. It didn't work AT ALL, it only made him more frustrated and I hated forcing him into a position. I tried turning my back to him and squealing like I saw on It's Me Or The Dog but it only made Kodi more intense. So I started reading and brainstroming and here's what worked for us.
Method #1: If he so much as gave me that herding eye (which I'm sure you've probably come to see from Rory) I calmly turned my back to him and walked out of the fence leaving Kodi alone in the fence. Kodi was really fast and on me constantly so I kind of had to walk really fast lol. Then I would stand outside the fence and wait for him to calm down. Sometimes he wouldn't calm down if he could still see me so I'd hide behind my dad's van and peek around it at him lol. Once he was calm and not riled up or barking I would go back into the fence and ignore Kodi if he was begging for attention and wait until he offered a sit before I treated and praised him. (Kodi gets really hyper if I give him to much affection so I would just give him a few pats on the head during this).
Method #2: Sometimes Kodi would climb at the fence when I would leave him like in method #1 and I always worried that he would try to jump the fence. So I took a twenty foot leash, tied it to a tree in the fence and everytime Kodi would try to herd me, I would calmly grab his collar, walk him to the leash, tie him up and walk a few feet away from him. I'd give him a few minutes to calm down then I'd walk up to him. If he tried to jump and nip, I'd walk back to my spot. If he stayed sitting calmly I'd give him a ton of treats and praise!!!
One of the thing's I was wondering is if Rory is neutered? I found with Kodi that his herding behavior intensified as he got older and turned into more of a herding/mounting thing (which is soooo beyond embarassing, especially when kids walk past your house on their way home from school and see.....that. It was mortifying!!! :eek: ). So we made an appointment and after he was neutered it was like he was a different dog! Sometimes he does give me the herding eye, but now all I have to do is say a sharp firm, "No" or "Hey" and he'll stop what he's doing and sit calmly for a game of fetch.
Sorry for the insanely long post lol. Hope this helps. :)

Dlilly

Honored Member
Oh Dlily, my Kodiak was the same way!!! :oops: It didn't matter what I was wearing (although he was worse when I wore my wool lined winter coat, then I really was his sheep!), he would gaze at me with that herding eye, start runing around me in circles nipping and barking and wouldn't let me move. Then he would jump up at my face, back, and chest nipping at me and barking. He got to the point where his nips started to hurt really bad and would leave bruises on my skin. :( I understand exactly how you must feel and how irritating and scary it can be. I was told to grab him by the collar and force him into a down. It didn't work AT ALL, it only made him more frustrated and I hated forcing him into a position. I tried turning my back to him and squealing like I saw on It's Me Or The Dog but it only made Kodi more intense. So I started reading and brainstroming and here's what worked for us.
Method #1: If he so much as gave me that herding eye (which I'm sure you've probably come to see from Rory) I calmly turned my back to him and walked out of the fence leaving Kodi alone in the fence. Kodi was really fast and on me constantly so I kind of had to walk really fast lol. Then I would stand outside the fence and wait for him to calm down. Sometimes he wouldn't calm down if he could still see me so I'd hide behind my dad's van and peek around it at him lol. Once he was calm and not riled up or barking I would go back into the fence and ignore Kodi if he was begging for attention and wait until he offered a sit before I treated and praised him. (Kodi gets really hyper if I give him to much affection so I would just give him a few pats on the head during this).
Method #2: Sometimes Kodi would climb at the fence when I would leave him like in method #1 and I always worried that he would try to jump the fence. So I took a twenty foot leash, tied it to a tree in the fence and everytime Kodi would try to herd me, I would calmly grab his collar, walk him to the leash, tie him up and walk a few feet away from him. I'd give him a few minutes to calm down then I'd walk up to him. If he tried to jump and nip, I'd walk back to my spot. If he stayed sitting calmly I'd give him a ton of treats and praise!!!
One of the thing's I was wondering is if Rory is neutered? I found with Kodi that his herding behavior intensified as he got older and turned into more of a herding/mounting thing (which is soooo beyond embarassing, especially when kids walk past your house on their way home from school and see.....that. It was mortifying!!! :eek: ). So we made an appointment and after he was neutered it was like he was a different dog! Sometimes he does give me the herding eye, but now all I have to do is say a sharp firm, "No" or "Hey" and he'll stop what he's doing and sit calmly for a game of fetch.
Sorry for the insanely long post lol. Hope this helps. :)
THANKS SO MUCH!!!! It seems like Kodi is doing the same thing Rory is, except for he will let me move around. Rory will jump and bite at me and I actually do have some bruises… Rory was recently neutered. (thank goodness!) I think I'll try method #1 first. :) I'll tell you how it works out tomorrow. :)

Amateur

Experienced Member
Been there
done that
trying to leave the play area with a Border Collie firmly attached to your ass.

the leash thing mentioned is a great way to deter that.
note too that Rory is still very young and doesnt know what is expected.
Make sure you arent giving off signals that trigger him to jump bite or play like that.
Take careful note of what you are doing just before he reacts this way.

Zoe was sort of like that -- we used a ball to break the moment -- focus on the ball or a toy - not my butt ! As she grew older she got a lot better so don't get discouraged - he is acting out of instinct and until he knows what you expect from him he is just going to do what he wants.

Would like to see another video because I am not sure i am reading his reactions right -
but also maybe get him to sit when you pet and talk to him - less likely to jump attack ?

Dice Smith

Been there
done that
trying to leave the play area with a Border Collie firmly attached to your ass.

the leash thing mentioned is a great way to deter that.
note too that Rory is still very young and doesnt know what is expected.
Make sure you arent giving off signals that trigger him to jump bite or play like that.
Take careful note of what you are doing just before he reacts this way.

Zoe was sort of like that -- we used a ball to break the moment -- focus on the ball or a toy - not my butt ! As she grew older she got a lot better so don't get discouraged - he is acting out of instinct and until he knows what you expect from him he is just going to do what he wants.

Would like to see another video because I am not sure i am reading his reactions right -
but also maybe get him to sit when you pet and talk to him - less likely to jump attack ?
Sorry, but I can't stop laughing! :ROFLMAO: Kodi used to bite my butt like that to and it did make it a challenge to leave the fence. Not funny in the moment, but now that it doesn't happen anymore I can look back and laugh about it. I'm sure we were a hilarious sight to see to all of our neighbors ROFLMAO!!! :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :p :giggle:

Amateur

Experienced Member
Oh the neighbours have told me I amused them immensely trying to walk Zoe down the street then having her turn and lunge at me. Having to hold the leash far out so she couldnt bite at me like at me Tasmanian Devil ... a fine sight for sure. IT DOES GET BETTER! Just stay calm and work through it... It will happen.

SD&B

Experienced Member
Oh Dlily, my Kodiak was the same way!!! :)
Great advice, Dice. Some of the herding dogs can have quite the herding instinct. I've seen that stare.

Keep in mind that the "stare" can also get him in trouble with other dogs. Some dogs are not really happy about it. Luckily, Sundog and Barney don't really care about the stare.

Dlilly

Honored Member
It took me a while to figure it out, but he only tries to herd me while or after we play fetch. When he herds me, I don't have a toy though....

He has gotten worse. He is biting harder and is very persistent. :(

Amateur

Experienced Member
Maybe this is time to call a time out. It seems when he is over stimulated he can't turn it off -- good time to teach restraint -- I think sara is the one to talk about that. You need to fnd a way to calm him so he doesnt reach critical status.
Not sure thats the best solution but it might say to him I dont play when you get that way.

Dlilly

Honored Member
I tried turning my bad to him and also the restraint, and they seem to work. When I turn my back to him, he'll walk over to me then sit down. :) So, I'm having some progress now.