How Does Your Dog Greet Its Best Friend?

Honored Member
Holly's best friend is a black lab cross called Oscar. He goes to both obedience and agility so Holly sees him twice a week.

They're a bit of an odd couple because Oscar is nearly five times Holly's size (she's 6kgs and he's 26kg) and when they play Oscar usually rolls onto his back and Holly jumps on his face :love: .

Her entire head frequently goes inside his mouth and when he wants her to play he will roll over and reach over and grab her by the neck fur and drag her over to him. And he pulls her tail a lot. Holly loves it but if you didn't know these dogs and just saw them playing it looks very strange, sometimes it looks like Oscar is eating Holly :eek: .

Anyway, yesterday I filmed what Holly does when she spots Oscar before obedience class, she hasn't had this reaction with any other dog so far and you have to watch it with sound, Oscar whines back but you can't here it in the clip :ROFLMAO: :

So what does everyone elses dogs do when they see their best friends (human or dog)?

sara

Staff member
Oliver whines and leaps straight up in the air... and for people he'll then pee when they get close :rolleyes: for dogs he skips the pee LOL

Dogster

Honored Member
When Shivon sees her BFF Carmel, she goes nuts. She'll whine (that will turn innto screaming) she pulls, she'll drag me like a sled dog all the way to Carmel.:rolleyes:

Anneke

Honored Member
When Shivon sees her BFF Carmel, she goes nuts. She'll whine (that will turn innto screaming) she pulls, she'll drag me like a sled dog all the way to Carmel.:rolleyes:
That sounds familiar:D Mine do just about the same thing. But Cooper reserves the screaming for very special human friends. :rolleyes:

southerngirl

Honored Member
Missy jumps on me, gets the wiggles and she makes what I call hyena noises(if I ever remember I will record this it's the strangest thing). For her best friend dog(and her only friend) she barks and pulls though she does this with every dog because she doesn't know what to do with herself(she's getting better)

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Calvin's BDF is a pittie named Maya, he pulls towards her with his tail wagging. Then they start body slamming and chewing on each other's faces. If we run into each other on the street, we get some strange looks, just standing there while a pit bull clearly stomps and chews on a fluffy white dog's neck.

With people, Calvin makes a weird sounding yodel. I don't think he knows that sound exists, it's just a noise that he makes based on emotion. When he's very happy with a new toy, he sometimes makes a few off-key grunts. It's strange to think that dogs learn to speak by hearing other dogs, but they do, because his vocalizations are definitely off key.

MaryK

Honored Member
Zeus will give a polite tail wag, and if on the street , will walk politely alongside his friends:) It's all too sedate for words, must be age or something:D Visiting it's pretty much the same, though he will if really feeling enthusiastic bark on one single note!

On the other paw, Ra Kismet goes bonkers when he sees his BFF Sasha, a petite blonde lab, and it's one mad tangle of leads with her owner and I exchanging leads and doing a few interesting hopping moves:LOL: If he goes to visit, it's straight into chase, dip in Sasha's plunge pool and off again on a chase around the garden, which doesn't stop until it's home time!

When he met Evie, he was most sedate, really found his 'party manners', so will be interesting to see how he reacts when they meet again.

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
I have a cute related story. My friend and I have been working very hard to get her dog-reactive/aggressive dog Rosie used to Calvin, who is a great, mellow, social dog. We worked behind a fence at first, then closer and closer, etc. with many sessions. This past week the dogs were finally integrated on a joint walk and they did great, sniffing the same thing, crossing each other's path, sniffing faces, etc. My friend said it was Rosie's First Date. Very cute, and a great accomplishment for Rosie.

The cute part comes two days ago, when my dear deaf and visually impaired dog thought he spied Rosie and my friend out on the street. He made an excited beeline towards them and was disappointed when he got close and saw that "Rosie" was a white kitchen trash bag and my friend was a shirtless middle-aged man just tying up the bag. A blurry white blob and a human-like figure bent over the blob! Aw, he mistook a rubbish bag for his new girlfriend :oops: ! Oh well, it happens, right???

My friend said we shouldn't tell Rosie, because although she wuvs Calvin, no one likes to be mistaken for a pile of trash :p

ETA: Sorry, I should have posted this in the "how does your dog greet blurry blobs that look like friends?" thread!

MaryK

Honored Member
Adrianna and Calvin LOVE the story, that's so cute!(y):love: LOL no best not tell Rosie she may not quite understand being taken for rubbish:oops:O_o:)

MaryK

Honored Member
LOL southerngirl - No don't think Missy was at all pleased to see you waaaaaaaay to subdued!:ROFLMAO:

That's one of the craziest, happiest greetings I've ever seen!:ROFLMAO:(y) Must have made your day:D

Evie

Experienced Member
Evie tends to greet her friends in a laying down/crouch position. Then just before they get to her she springs up off the ground and tackles them before sprinting off into the distance to play...

She greets us with crazy licks on the face (while we're standing up - she is good at jumping) However she has recently learnt to greet ME with a 'sit' at the door. I use the term sit very loosely as her bum doesnt actually touch the ground, it's too busy wiggling. It takes so much self control from her not to pounce on me straight away lol.