Hi Ya

Ruth M

Hi

My name is Ruth and I live in North Devon in the UK.

I own four Alaskan Malamutes, Millie, Trooper, Wynona and Summer and two Siberian Huskies Kody and Blizzard. We do work our dogs in Harness but I love doing obedience and some tricks with them.
Wynona would love to take part in Rally O but it's very new here in the UK.

I am also a Dog Trainer teaching basic obedience and target work using the clicker.

One of my Malamutes Wynona is a school Dog for the a charity called Dogs helping Kids. She goes to a local school two days a week where children read to her and do obedience and tricks with her. She has a huge fan club at school.

I love to do lots more with my dogs and learn new things together with them so I'm hoping you'll give me some new Ideas and I can share my experiences with you all.

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
Hi and welcome! I adore Mals! Four must be great! Would love to see pics and or videos of your pack!

I am just starting to teach my crazy collie to pull my sacco cart, any tips for teaching a stop/whoa /halt? He's kind of a speed nut and not a very good listener(he's not like any other collie I've ever met) so I could certainly use some real experienced help!

Evie

Experienced Member
Hi and welcome!!!!

Wow so many malamutes/huskies... I think you're crazy lol :ROFLMAO::LOL: My brother has one, and I could not possibly think what it would be like to have 6 around! But I guess the carting would help keep them calm, a LOT.

It sounds great the things you're doing with your puppies! as said above, more pictures please!!!

Hope you stick around and enjoy the forum :D

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
Wow! I totally missed the-- and two huskies part! Wow, you must have a pretty good brushing arm! do you run your dogs separately huskies and Mals? or all together? Our personal limit is three dogs- after that things start to go downhill for us! LOL! It must be quite challenging to make sure they all get enough time.

MaryK

Honored Member
Welcome!:D All your dogs sound wonderful, please post pics of them as we all love seeing the doggies:love:

sara

Staff member
Welcome to the DTA

I know someone who once had 37 sibes... she was training to do the iditerod, but life got in the way. Your dogs sound awesome and well, rounded :) Enjoy the forum!

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Hi and welcome! I keep thinking about brushing all that hair ... and I'm scared!! :eek::LOL::ROFLMAO: Plz post pics, and I can't wait to hear more!! I'm sure you have lots to contribute, please stick around. Seems lately so many intro themselves, never to be heard from again.

Ruth M

Wow, Thanks for all the welcomes so very kind of you all. I used to have 12 dogs but unfortunately had to down size due to my ill health, something which I though I would never ever have to do. I've been involved with the Malamutes and Huskies for the last 16 years and love them. I also offer one to one positive reward base dog training using the clicker.
I'm a little busy at present so won't be able to post any photos for a while (I really need to take some more) but if you would like to go on my website you will be able to see all my dogs past and present.

I tried to add direct links but it wouldn't let me for some reason. Sorry

www.weyekinsleddogs.com
www.dogshelpingkids.co.uk - The children's charity Wynona works for

Ruth M

Hi K9 Crazed
I do run Trooper with Huskies as he's quite quick as was his father Soldier but I think you have to be careful and know your dogs. I would not run Millie or Wynona with Huskies as they would not be able to keep up with Young Huskies and may be dragged but they maybe ok with perhaps a husky near retirement age as they are a bit slower than perhaps a younger one.

Although we have a sled we've never used it as we don't have enough snow where I live to warrant using one so we use a three wheeled rig which has brakes. When they are puppies we teach them several commands when out walking
Gee - Right
Haw - Left
Hike on - to go
On by - when the see a distraction or another turning and I want them to go straight on
Leave it - should they want to say hello to perhaps an over taking dog or they smell a scent
Gee Over - move over to the right of the trail
Haw over - Move over to the left of the trail
Easy or Steady - when you need them to slow down and take it easy
Whoa - to stop.

I normally walk them on a belt so they are out in front of me once they know the commands etc. By the time they are old enough to get into harness they already know the commands so it's much easier.
Using a rig it has brakes so when I want them to slow down I squeeze the brakes slowly and tell them steady now and then gradually slow them down to a Whoa.

Hope this helps