Hi My Name Is Mike

micky1403

Hi My name is Mike I am from a small town south of Rochester NY. I have a 4 year old purebred white Lab(unneutered). He is a beautiful 75lb dog that I got a year ago, and his name is Micky. I have had several dogs over the years but have never officially trained one. Micky is a gentle but skidish dog that barks non stop when i put him in his kennel. The only time he is quiet is when he is in his create. He is a smart dog and I think he will make a good pet. Could someone advise me as to what i can do to minimize the barking..

Puppylove

Welcome to DTA!!

I'm sure Micky is a beautiful boy...Would love to see a photo :D

In regards to the barking....

When does he bark? Is he home alone or are you there?

If he's alone...
How do you know he barks?
What kind of bark is it? repeated and ongoing or episodic?
where have you gone and for how long?
Do you have an exit routine?
Where is Mickey when you're not there?
Does he have a view?
What does he have with him? toys? food? etc
What have you tried so far?

If you're there...
When does he bark?
What kind of bark is it? repeated and ongoing or episodic?
What are you doing when he's barking?
What have you tried so far?
Is he barking at something?
How much training does Mickey have?

At times, barking is a very hard behaviour to manage so to give you the right advice we need more information and details :)

micky1403

Hello Puppylove,

Micky barks when I'm home, when im inside the house but more when im outside and he can see me. I think it would be an ongoing bark? I can tell the difference in his bark if someone come in the yard. He barks pretty much nonstop when ever he is outside, he didn't always do this? I have tried feeding him, and taking him for a walk he doesnt bark when i take him for a walk . Micky has had no training. I think he is training me. lol

Mike

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Barking can be tough to resolve. I have another question in addition to ones above. It sounds like Micky is an outdoor dog, is that correct? It's sounding like he's tired of being alone, and wants to be with you. Dogs want to be with their family, not alone in a kennel. Any reason he can't be in the house with you, and must be outside in a kennel? Does he have special toys, chews, etc, to keep him busy when he's alone in his kennel? And how far are you walking him? A 4yr old Lab needs tons of exercise. He's most likely got lots of energy to burn, and his bored. What's a bored guy in a kennel going to do ... but bark? :confused: How much time is he spending in his kennel? What's his/your routine? You also say he's skittish, what's he afraid of?

micky1403

I dont know what you mean "out door dog?" when hes outside hes in a large kennel when has inside hes in a create. When hes outside in the large kennel he barks when hes inside in the small crate he doesnt. Hes in the house now 90% of the time. He seems to only want to be in his create. I try to walk him every day about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile. He was skidish since i got him..
Are you a dog trainer?

Dogster

Honored Member
Personally, I think he's in his crate too much and doesn't get enough exercise. A lab his age should be getting about 3 (at least one of them long) walks a day, plus runs in the park, backyard, or dog park.:) I think you should keep him outside his crate when you are at home with him, so he isn't in a confined space all the time.

MaryK

Honored Member
I agree Dogster. Micky is in his crate way too much and needs a lot more work, play and mental stimulation such as trick training. Sounds like he's one very bored dog too! He needs to feel part of the family when inside not shut up in a small crate.

Do you do any training with him? Like trick training, sit, stay, come, etc.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Is he always in his crate when inside? Why is he crated inside instead of being aloud to walk around the house? He should get at least 2 1hr walks and a couple play times throughout the day. You say he's skidish what does he do that makes him skidish?

Tâmara Vaz

Experienced Member
This video training will help him feel better when left alone,
but you MUST get enought exercise and mental stimulation for your dog or he'll NEVER quiet down or let from been "skidish".