Hi Im Teri I Have 5 Dogs

teriborden

I'm Teri and I have 5 dogs all different breeds (my family doesn't discriminate). We have a 6 month old Siberian Husky that is blind from birth and gets around just as well as the others his name is Duke, A chiweenie named Daisy she is almost one yrs old, Maltese Corgi mix Scrappy also almost one yrs old, German Shorthaired Pointer Freckles who is almost 12 wks and my Boxer Scooby she will be 4 the end of this year.
I have a challenge with training my husky he likes to jump and I can't get it through to him not to do this does anyone have any suggestions on how I can accomplish this?

running_dog

Honored Member
Hi Teri, Welcome to the forum!

We just had a new member with a 5 month old GSP asking if there were any other GSPs!

I love that you have lots of different kinds of dogs, every breed and mutt can give something different. Brilliant that you have a dog that is blind too. One day I hope to get a dog with either deafness or blindness, I think it would be fun to have to think outside the box to train things.

With your husky do you mean jumping on to things or jumping up at you? I'm guessing that you mean jumping up at you, but if not let us know! The way I have found that works with almost every dog that jumps up is to turn your back to him as he jumps up. If you try to push him down or speak to him it is very rewarding to him as you are giving him attention (which is what he is jumping up for) if you turn your back and step away he gets no attention for his effort. You need to make sure you give him lots of attention when his feet are all on the ground as well so that he chooses to keep them there because that is the most rewarding place to be. As he is blind it might be more difficult to train as he might think that he has to touch you to get your attention. You could also train an alternative behaviour like to sit and nudge your hand with his nose, again make this very rewarding but turn away and behave like he isn't there when he jumps up.

teriborden

Hi Teri, Welcome to the forum!

We just had a new member with a 5 month old GSP asking if there were any other GSPs!

I love that you have lots of different kinds of dogs, every breed and mutt can give something different. Brilliant that you have a dog that is blind too. One day I hope to get a dog with either deafness or blindness, I think it would be fun to have to think outside the box to train things.

With your husky do you mean jumping on to things or jumping up at you? I'm guessing that you mean jumping up at you, but if not let us know! The way I have found that works with almost every dog that jumps up is to turn your back to him as he jumps up. If you try to push him down or speak to him it is very rewarding to him as you are giving him attention (which is what he is jumping up for) if you turn your back and step away he gets no attention for his effort. You need to make sure you give him lots of attention when his feet are all on the ground as well so that he chooses to keep them there because that is the most rewarding place to be. As he is blind it might be more difficult to train as he might think that he has to touch you to get your attention. You could also train an alternative behaviour like to sit and nudge your hand with his nose, again make this very rewarding but turn away and behave like he isn't there when he jumps up.

Thank you so much I hadn't thought of responding to him by turning my back I guess I figured he wasn't able to see me so I should vocal my dislike of him jumping on me. I will definitely be utilizing this method. Thank you again :)

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Welcome to DTA! Your dogs are adorable, I love that you have all different breeds! I can't imagine having 5 dogs! :eek: I love hearing about people training blind dogs, it definitely makes you think outside of the box in some situations!

running_dog

Honored Member
Thank you so much I hadn't thought of responding to him by turning my back I guess I figured he wasn't able to see me so I should vocal my dislike of him jumping on me. I will definitely be utilizing this method. Thank you again :)
You're welcome! Do let us know how you get on!