Herding!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Adorable!! I wonder what the rational was for no video?
Great pics, but i would have enjoyed if you could have captured one of Hero doing the classic pose with head lowered, and front shoulders lowered a bit, like stalking, but, i can imagine, with a fast dog like Hero, that would have been a hard shot to get!:ROFLMAO:

It does look like Hero has "The Eye" though!! :D HOW FUN!!

fly30

Experienced Member
Sara, this is a very nice present you made to your dog to have the opportunity to work on his instinct. It's difficult to see what happens with photos and I find it hard to see what your position was in this session. It's difficult to find where to stand at first. You need to lead the sheep, otherwise this will end up in a predation game. But your instructor will explain this better than me.

Hope you will go on practicing herding, it's magic !

fly30

Experienced Member
My main problem with Fly was distance and sensitivity. When I tried to have her keep her distance, I put too much pressure for Fly and she would run away. Then suddenly, who knows why, she understood there was nothing to fear and decided to keep her distance. Work is getting confortable. Thank you my lovely Fly.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I've never had Missy try herding sheep, I doubt she ever will, as I don't want her thinking she's allowed to chase anything and everything in sight afterwards.

I would get too worried that she would get hurt as well... and she's not used to being off leash yet (hopefully soon!!).

She's two and we've worked on it since a pup. :) Problem is... she chases cars at the local unfenced park and chases squirrels in my unfenced backyard.

She's getting much better though!

Well done on Fly's herding video, Fly30! :) I love it.

fly30

Experienced Member
Oh you know, Missy would not be taught to chase after sheep at all. It's actually the opposit. Herding teatches dogs to control their instinct and use it to serve their human leader. That's the reason why it has to be done with a professionnal who knows exactly what the dog and the human should learn.
Herding is good for herding dog's mental and physical health. It helped Fly gain self confidence and strengten our relationship.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
What if you have small animals in the home? Would it still be a good idea? We have a cat (calico), who lives upstairs - wish she could live up and downstairs, but she doesn't like the dog yet. I'm going to try and work on their relationship. :)

fly30

Experienced Member
You are the leader and you should decide whether she's allowed to "herd" the cat or not. Of course, they have to build their relationship if they are to live together. And they will probably do fine, you'll be there to make sure it's ok but you know, cats and dogs have similar calming signals and they should understand each other easily.

Herding is a work, not a game, and no hunting. Herding is originally based on predation : sheep are good food. And only the leader should be allowed to touch the food, and who is the leader ? you of course ? So what's the dog's position ? A well driven working dog should not be allowed to hunt sheep, but gather them to his leader (you) so that he can eat (but of course you won't eat the sheep, but your dog doesn't know that). So in the end, your dog is learning to repect your position as a leader, his position as a good dog and make the difference between work and games. This is very evident with border collies who wear their tails up when they are playing and down when at work. Herding has no drawbacks in family life, this is certain.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Thanks, Fly. Your pup is gorgeous too! :)

Missy always wears her tail up... (she's a very happy dog) I guess that's a bit of a problem? Uh oh...

fly30

Experienced Member
Oh no it's not a problem !!! Happy dog who loves playing :) Some dogs take time at herding, before they actually start working. My daughter got a rescue border collie lately. She took his to herd and he stood in front of the sheep in a game position (his bottom up) as if he was asking "do you want to play ?". After 2 sessions, he decided to be a bit more at work. He'll never be an extremely good herding dog but who cares ? My daughter and him are just having a good time. As long as the dog and the sheep are respected, no problem.

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
I've never had Missy try herding sheep, I doubt she ever will, as I don't want her thinking she's allowed to chase anything and everything in sight afterwards.
I would get too worried that she would get hurt as well... and she's not used to being off leash yet (hopefully soon!!).
She's two and we've worked on it since a pup. :) Problem is... she chases cars at the local unfenced park and chases squirrels in my unfenced backyard.

Hi there,
I know no one here knows me, but I've been coming and going for a while.
Just thought I'd give you my input on a "chasing dog" My dog, Rocket, likes to chase cars so I am very vigilant about gates and leashes :ninja:. We had cats in our home, but when I got chickens I was very concerned that he would get into the "big yard" and chase and destroy the chickens ( you may interpret this as me having absolutely no faith his farm dog instinct.)

Well, not only did he never chase the chickens but he is their staunch defender, I never worry for them, even in the house he is on duty if they make alarm calls he fusses and frets and lets me know in no uncertain terms that he "must" go look out for them. Then he charges the perimeter or out their way for cues on which way he should patrol. Truly, he is amazing in this regard and it is all instinct. I have yet to take him to try herding but I intend to take him soon.

He "herds" the riding lawnmower circling and barking and pushing back and forth from behind. (not while I am mowing):eek: but, he never ever chases our cats nor does he ever bother our indoor birds but he will go for a stray cat looking for a chicken snack !

I vote you give your dog the benefit of the doubt, I bet she and her heritage will far exceed what you can imagine. Though I would keep her, like I do mine, on leash when there are cars to chase.(y)