Hello!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by kemlotoe, Jun 10, 2012.

1. kemlotoe New Member

Hello! Introducing myself - Darren, and my first dog Molly!
    IMG_1374.JPG

Just found her this weekend and we look forward to welcoming her into our family in July!

She is a gorgeous black lab and will be aged 15 weeks by then. So excited about her and meeting like minded people!:)

2. Dogster Honored Member

Welcome!!!! WHAT a cute puppy you have there!!!!:D Are you planning on teaching Molly tricks/agility??? Do you use a clicker??? Here at DTA, we are positive dog trainers.(y)
    Also, I'm curious. Where did you find her???
  3. Dlilly Honored Member

Welcome to DTA!! What a lovely puppy! I'm also curious to know where you found her from.

I love the name Molly for a dog. :love: I always wanted a dog named Molly, but it would get confusing because my name is Molly!
    Ripleygirl, Tâmara Vaz and Dogster like this.
  4. dogcrazy Experienced Member

Welcome!!!
  5. bekah1001 Honored Member

Awe such a cutie!!! Welcome!
    Dogster likes this.
  6. sara Moderator

Welcome to the DTA! That is one adorable pup!
    Dogster likes this.
  7. tigerlily46514 Honored Member

WELCOME!! What a cutie!!
    Of course, you have run an ad and/or contacted the human society to report you have found a lost dog, right? You don't have to turn dog in to human society, but most humane society will write down description of dog, etc, in case owner calls them looking for this dog. Sooner or later, most humans looking for their lost dog will call the humane society.

Many papers will run "free" ads for found dogs.
    If it were me, i'd also put up posters, in area where i found the dog, "found a dog".
    as well as read newspapers and posters for anyone looking for this dog.

The pup should also be checked for any microchips, too. (the humane society or your vet can do this, takes all of two minutes, is probably free to do this)

If it turns out that the owner of this pup IS looking for the dog,
    and wants it back,
    do not despair,
    there are millions of homeless puppies and dogs looking for a human who wants a puppy or dog:
    http://www.petfinder.com/index.html
    GOOD LUCK!! KEEP US POSTED!!!
    bekah1001 and Dogster like this.
  8. Tâmara Vaz Experienced Member

9. kemlotoe New Member

thank you! she is gorgeous isnt she! I do plan to use a clicker when I start to train her! I found her advertised online, in which I will not name the site, and is from a private breeder.

Any tips on starting training, i.e. order of what to train first...don't get me wrong I have done my research and have banks of help at hand through friends and parents but just wanted some anecdotes of your training experiences.

@tigerlily...what are you trying to say here? :S I am going to ignore you I think.
  10. southerngirl Honored Member

Kemlotoe, when you said you found her everyone thought you meant that you found her on the street or something not an add. Tigerlily was simply concerned that you found a stray dog that was possibly someone elses.
  11. southerngirl Honored Member

The first things I would teach her is Sit, stay, come, lie down, leave it and loose leash walking. You don't want her to ever ever think that when she pulls on the leash she goes somewhere. So when she pulls on the leash stop and call her back to your side than continue walking do the same thing every time she pulls. If you have any questions on how to teach something just ask and everyone will be glad to help.
    Dogster and bekah1001 like this.
  12. kemlotoe New Member

oh i see! ok im sorry tigerlily I guess we got off on the wrong foot there. but no, My wife and I have purchased her, and 100% ours :) thanks southerngirl!
  13. Pawtential Unleashed Experienced Member

Hi and Welcome! Yeah, understanding things through the written word can be tricky - but you will find we are all a friendly bunch, happy to help - we look forward to seeing your progress with Molly.

Is the breeder doing any training work with her as they are keeping her until she is 15 weeks old? How are they socializing her? Have you begun to look for puppy classes in your area and sit in on some perspective ones yet?
    tigerlily46514, bekah1001 and Dogster like this.
  14. Pawtential Unleashed Experienced Member

How's Molly? Have you found any classes locally yet?
    Dogster and tigerlily46514 like this.
  15. tigerlily46514 Honored Member

OH YES, i am so sorry! :eek: I thought when you said you "found" her,
    that you meant, like, you saw the dog walking around by itself and took it home.
    SO SORRY!!!!

Congrats on the new pup!! Yes, it's wonderful wonderful wonderful that you are interested in training the pup! YAY!!! Hope to see you and your new pup around here often!! THIS is a great and friendly site, a great place to learn how to raise a dog, or train a dog, or almost anything you want to know, someone here will have an idea.

Again, sorry i misunderstood, i thought you had "found" a lost dog and were keeping it! :notworthy: how embarrassed am i? (leaves to go crawl under a rug...)
    Dogster likes this.
  16. tigerlily46514 Honored Member

(if you've already "ignored" me, i hope you can still see my apology above, not sure..)
    Dogster likes this.