Hello! Im Glad I Found U!

ilovelucy

:love: Hi! Im Erica, i live in arizona w my boys... my hubby my 4yr old and 1yr old and my chi... i recently adopted a german shephard FEMALE (def needed a female around my house<3 )adorable lil thing. from a shelter, she was found roaming the streets scared to death. i visited her a couple times before i brought her home, she is my lil lovey. they think she is 3-4 months and maybe mixed w lab since she is solid black... w a lil white star on her chest. but definatly german shephard! has that signature "mane" down her back that seems even darker black, she listens very well and is picking up training very well and i really think she needs some really cool tricks and training. and then i found u!!! ive had her goin on 3 weeks, she is mastering the potty training (mostly) learning sit, give me 5, laydown and walking on a leash nicely. (not when the sun goes down tho. she panics starts paysing (sp?)and then running and jumping to get to the house as fast as she can... not sure how to deal w that yet...) but she is a good god so far im taking tips i see here to teach her its ok to play w her new toys and chews... but not the boys toys or my couch... and she is also jumping and like nipping at my hand when i walk? not sure about that either... im learning the ropes and think ive found a good "rope"

Anneke

Honored Member
Hi and welcome to DTA. You'll find loads of info here and if you can't find what you are looking for, just ask;)
Your girl sounds great! There are solid black german shepherds, but it is more common in the long haired type.
Please put up some pics of her in the Meet the dogs section. We all love to see pics of dogs:)
You say she doesn't like it when it's dark? Well, that may be because she was a stray and she is at a stage in her life where a lot of things are scary. Through tricks training and obedience you can build up her confidence. Also she has only been with you for a couple of weeks, so she is still learning to trust you. That is something that might take a while.
A tip on teachnig her which toys she can play with. Every time she takes a toy that is not hers, trade her with a toy that ís hers and play with her. Be consistent with that and she will learn. Teaching her to drop on cue is a good thing, here.
The jumping and nipping is a puppy thing mixed with a little herding. When she nippes at your hand, don't pull your hand out of the way. I know that is the first reaction, but she might turn that into a game. If you don't respond to it, it is no fun, so the behavior will fade. Reward the moments that she walks besides you without nipping and jumping.
If she is really jumping into you, stop and stand still, totally ignore her. When she has all four on the floor, reward.
I don't know why she is jumping, but if it is excitement, it is important you stay calm. Don't talk in a high pitched tone. High pitched voices can overexcite a dog sometimes. But give her a chance to get the energy out. So walk a bit and if she is good, do a little game of tug. That way you can redirect her energy into a toy and a game and she will learn that being calm gets her a game or reward.

MaryK

Honored Member
Hi and Welcome:) Anneke has given you some very good tips and advice. I will just add, with the dark, try just sitting outside (if possible weather permitting) with her when it gets dark. Just be quiet (heed Anneke's tips about high voices) and give her some treats. As Anneke has said, she's still learning to trust you, takes time but you'll both get there.

Any time you need help, just ask, everyone here is very friendly and only too willing to help with anything.

And yes PLEASE picture or a video, we LOVE those!

ilovelucy

Hi and welcome to DTA. You'll find loads of info here and if you can't find what you are looking for, just ask;) that all is very helpful knowledge! I'm so glad I can come here for my own training and positive reinforcement ;)
Your girl sounds great! There are solid black german shepherds, but it is more common in the long haired type.
Please put up some pics of her in the Meet the dogs section. We all love to see pics of dogs:)
You say she doesn't like it when it's dark? Well, that may be because she was a stray and she is at a stage in her life where a lot of things are scary. Through tricks training and obedience you can build up her confidence. Also she has only been with you for a couple of weeks, so she is still learning to trust you. That is something that might take a while.
A tip on teachnig her which toys she can play with. Every time she takes a toy that is not hers, trade her with a toy that ís hers and play with her. Be consistent with that and she will learn. Teaching her to drop on cue is a good thing, here.
The jumping and nipping is a puppy thing mixed with a little herding. When she nippes at your hand, don't pull your hand out of the way. I know that is the first reaction, but she might turn that into a game. If you don't respond to it, it is no fun, so the behavior will fade. Reward the moments that she walks besides you without nipping and jumping.
If she is really jumping into you, stop and stand still, totally ignore her. When she has all four on the floor, reward.
I don't know why she is jumping, but if it is excitement, it is important you stay calm. Don't talk in a high pitched tone. High pitched voices can overexcite a dog sometimes. But give her a chance to get the energy out. So walk a bit and if she is good, do a little game of tug. That way you can redirect her energy into a toy and a game and she will learn that being calm gets her a game or reward.